Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Rebuild - Chasing my youth

Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Rebuild - Chasing my youth
I know I cause myself way more work to focus on things that probably are petty, but those things seem to give me the most satisfaction. I could have went with all stainless hardware and saved lots of headache, but I wanted that painted original look. Finally got my dash secure with the permanent painted hardware. No chips in the torx using some of the foam from my heater box build and no chips or cracked paint on the washers or dash. DD’s two outer most holes weren’t spot on, maybe cause of a YJ tub, but I guess it’s a Jeep. Again, probably something most will never notice, but I will, matched painted hardware.

952fa6eb027519b4e6300618fedf2649.jpg
a9275a865b648c30b05e0ee1f1578218.jpg
3c4d9afbd1c81651086f62a9ab87d1c7.jpg
d98f5eec90d2b1ea50be38afc60c0a9f.jpg
f763074f16048c6a37794a4ad43427c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s going to be so shiny with bling nobody’s going to notice. :punk:

Too shiny and you'll be afraid to drive it like a Jeep

That depends on your definition of driving it like a Jeep. I spent many a days bumming rides in my youth because my CJ was down from bombing it through the woods and sand pits. I know want to enjoy the drive of a classic with my wife. To each is own. If I have the desire to bounce one off a tree again, I’ll beat a TJ.

Nice work, looking forward to seeing it all together.

That depends on your definition of driving it like a Jeep. I spent many a days bumming rides in my youth because my CJ was down from bombing it through the woods and sand pits. I know want to enjoy the drive of a classic with my wife. To each is own. If I have the desire to bounce one off a tree again, I’ll beat a TJ.

not exactly what I meant, meaning if the option to go off road were to present itself...not out rock climbing and as you so eloquently described "bouncing off a tree" lol, example, my buddies wold buy a truck and never haul anything more than settling dust, where as I would use it if needed as a truck from time, and a scuff or scratch didn't bother me, mind you I appreciate someone who takes pride and care for their vehicle. So it wasn't one of those far fetched comments where people say..."if you don't flip it once in a while or...drive over monster rocks...you're not a real man-Jeep owner thing".
And most of my Jeep driving days are beach runs, occasional trail/camping, and yeah, I kinda agree on the TJ for "bouncing off of trees" lol.

And....if I haven't said it yet, you have a very nice Jeep, don't read too much into the next comment...if I had one that nice, my wife would have to drive it, meaning I could never keep it in that condition-just me being me sometimes out driving, my Jeep buddies and I call it "Excersising our Jeep License" :cool:
:jeep:

“but I wanted that painted original look”

My CJ still has the original coat of paint on the dash and the screws that you are referring to are not painted. Credit to the factory on the screw selection, they are good. They’re either SS or regular with rustproofing coating. However, what you did looks great.

I also couldn’t tolerate the screw head not covering the hole entirely on the hood hinges so I used different SS screws. Unlike your CJ, mine is not show quality. How I wish that I could take it to that level, you and I know that it’s not easy to do. Keep up the great work. In the end, it’s extremely rewarding.

Attachments

• B4B0141A-9EB0-4C9F-A9B6-B7C6525ED8A4.jpeg
    B4B0141A-9EB0-4C9F-A9B6-B7C6525ED8A4.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 20
“Unlike your CJ, mine is not show quality.

Ha! Mine is far from show quality. But yes, I want it as perfect as my abilities and discipline can be.

But you may be able to help me. Can you post a pic of the fasteners that are holding the windshield hold down brackets to the frame. Opposite of the large black knobs.

I think I found 3 out of the 4 original fasteners which means I’ll have to hit EBay and over pay for some OEM hardware

2CEEB4DF-A253-4132-B522-1D448AC24044.jpeg5F075D84-0AF5-4A3A-B925-CEE1C7886449.jpeg
These ?

Yes sir! Thank you! Now I need to tear the garage apart to find the 4th one

Thanks Belizean, I was able to score some OEM hardware from a loan YJ at a real rural scrap yard out west.

e6722be9ed3ba5c281b0aac216de0f17.jpg
7f67f769329c757c83e0dd8511ef3f61.jpg

Next a real good weekend of progress. On Saturday, my father in law and brother in law came over. They used to own a glass shop, so I just sat back and learned as they did a brand new windshield. New seal, gaskets, wiper linkage and studs. Beautiful.

0f5627cf4da465492d89d50460c5c765.jpg
e265de6dbe922a4055d38283d52bdcc1.jpg

99813911dec21035311f758fee83e82b.jpg

On Sunday my pops came over and we got the seats assembled and installed. Fresh painted folding risers, cleaned up sliders, and new Smittybuilt front seats. And a good shape OEM fold and tumble rear. Got to figure out why the rear seat studs don’t sit in the rear hood down brackets. Maybe a CJ/YJ tub conflict??

9e8125a8d8ff115be6650f81c31af469.jpg
bf5eb97d6c4ebb804798d45bb49a4e49.jpg
57c932c8e9e90ed9288ed6b7c3032871.jpg
88146b0198de2f2455b049915f40bfab.jpg

After we got the interior in, as Bruce Buffer would say, “It’s Time!”

Man, did this feel good, 3.5 years abs finally she’s rolling.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice. What brand of seal around the glass ?

I’ll find out from him as he provided it with the glass. The cowl seal was a Fairchild one and it seemed to fit real good.

I’ve heard Metro Moulded Parts makes quality fit ones.

Hmm, never heard of them before. Anyone know of the company that makes the bent wiper arms so that they don’t stop and rest in the middle of the windshield?

I bought a set back in 2013. The set I got was drilled for larger diameter wiper pivot and they provided a stainless shim to make up the difference, the aluminum is really stiff and an absolute pain to get and keep tight around the pivot stud, I’m pulling mine soon and going back stock, maybe their better now

http://www.riptech.net/WB-EMBSC.html

I also love to look of the factory painted torx stuff, my body is a 92 and the dash has like 6 mounting holes that don’t match CJ, IIRC I slotted a pair of my dash holes to match the tub as well, gonna fix that one of these days

I bought a set back in 2013. The set I got was drilled for larger diameter wiper pivot and they provided a stainless shim to make up the difference, the aluminum is really stiff and an absolute pain to get and keep tight around the pivot stud, I’m pulling mine soon and going back stock, maybe their better now

http://www.riptech.net/WB-EMBSC.html

Wonder how just the W Blades are ?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks