1986 Cj7 Rear Hub.

1986 Cj7 Rear Hub.

jkaras2000

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 cj7
Hi All. Rebuilding my rear brakes on 1986 CJ7. I would like to pull the brake plate/shield off along with hub to put in sandblast cabinet and repaint before new brakes install. Can someone tell me if I can pull the rear hubs, or are they attached to rear axle. Not looking to make my project harder. I could always sand blast them in place although it would be much harder. Any and all help is appreciated. Joe.

Attachments

• 20200322_080021.jpg
    20200322_080021.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 23
The only thing is you can't get the backing plate off once you get the axle out without pressing the axle bearings off as well. and then pressing everything back on in reverse order Anyways if you wish to go for it, If it's an AMC20 Diff, Remove the 4 bolts that hold the backing plate, put the drum on the studs backwards with the lugs nuts on a few threads each. Use the drum as a slide hammer and it should pop out. might take a few or more wacks. Or you can go rent a slide hammer from your local parts store. Now if it is a Dana 44, i'm pretty sure the axles come out the same way but not positive. If it is an AMC20 rear, somebody has put one piece axles in it at some point.

Thanks for the information. I decided to use a wire wheel, after using a needle scaler to do the hard work. I came out pretty good. Would have preferred to sandblast in.my cabinet, but not worth the effort.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks