Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Build

Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Build
I'm registered for trails on Thur, Fri and Sat.

321.jpg

Feb 24, 23:
Back after a little break and some time off. Went to New Zealand for a couple weeks. Simply awesome time and stunningly beautiful!

-Been another battle going on behind the scenes, trying to get the Jeep titled and registered. Encountered a hiccup (record of a Lien from a previous owner) back in October, after I passed emissions and attempted to title & register. Loooooong story, but we're finally making headway and I think I'll be able to drive it legally in time for Moab. Has been a source of stress, for sure, dealing with the Dept of Revenue and the DMV. Never fun!
-Installed steering box brace, from Rugged Ridge. After some grinding on the one end of the brace bar to eliminate a bind, it went on ok. My last one was a home-made job with a heim joint on the frame end. This one is alright, I guess, with just the flat strap mount to the frame, using one of the shackle hanger bolts.
-Replaced the front drive shaft U-joints. Man, those old ones were a bit#h to remove!
-Ordered my new wheels. Was shopping around for some black steelies, and found a good deal at JEGS. Should be here next week.
-Gotta decide on tires now. Leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer SST Pros.
-Bought some more loose end items (lug nuts, brake pads, copper washers for the banjos, windshield frame track for a new bikini top, plastic glove box and probably some more stuff I can't remember.

NZ near Queenstown... NZ 1.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
That ^^^^^^^^ is very close to the top of the bucket list.

Feb 26, 23:
Focused on the front end in order to get it ready for a test drive…
-New front calipers with pads and sst hoses installed.
-My youngest boy was recruited to be the “pumper” for bleeding the brakes. 40mins of work to get all 4 new calipers full and bled.
-New front shocks installed.
-Front driveshaft installed.
-Gear oil squeezed in.
-All zerks greased.

Took it for a little low speed cruise and found a couple odds and ends to fix. Nothing too major though. Rides pretty good, actually.
I was wondering how the stance/width of the new Scout 44 rear would look, compared to the widetrack front. I think it looks fine.

Attachments

• BBB9CF9D-2512-45B6-9C5A-2CE9EC812DEF.jpeg
    BBB9CF9D-2512-45B6-9C5A-2CE9EC812DEF.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 916A79FC-4D81-4C3B-9B3B-28E29B23F300.jpeg
    916A79FC-4D81-4C3B-9B3B-28E29B23F300.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Feb 28, 23:
- Received my new wheels from JEGS. Took them to Discount Tire to have mounted on some new Cooper tires. I like em! Happiness is a truckload of new, big, nasty mud tires!
- I installed a new windshield track for my new bikini top.
- Installed new hood loops.
- Cleaned up and installed my “new” matching lockout hubs. Before, I had 1 Warn and 1 I.H. hub. Guys at D&C had a matching pair of I.H. hubs that they gave me. I have the larger 6-bolt units.
- Got my new Bestop 2-piece doors installed. Bikini is still delayed, per FedEx.
- Straightened out the steering wheel with the drag link.
- Cleaned up and painted black the old rear view mirror for the driver side. It’ll work for now.
- Mounted my new CB radio. It’s the Cobra Mini and is crazy small. Still need an antenna and cable.

Hope it warms up tomorrow so I can take it for another test drive to check it out in 4wd, now that hubs are installed. I’ll take some pics outside too.

Attachments

• DF4F37AE-7D91-4914-89A5-A089244CF52D.jpeg
    DF4F37AE-7D91-4914-89A5-A089244CF52D.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 17
You have been rockin the build out! :chug:

This should be a bumper sticker! "Happiness is a truckload of new, big, nasty mud tires!"

Mar 2, 23:

-It fit through the garage door, barely, so I could take for a shake down drive through the neighborhood.
Caster on front end is all but gone now with the lift, so it doesn't track well anymore. Been there, done that & the price I pay.
Steering wheel still needs adjusted a bit.
4wd seems to function correctly.
-Bled the brakes twice now, but still seem spongy and not quite there. Will try a 3rd time and hopefully that'll do it.
-Set the parking brake and one of my cable stops popped off. Luckily, I found it in the gravel and will take it, and the jeep, back to the drawing board.
-Ordered a side step (old school Carr Hoop, except black) for the passenger side. My wife is vertically challenged and I'm sure she'll appreciate it.
-Also ordered a front bumper. Intended to make my own, but I just don't have the time now. Morris had a good deal on Fishbone stuff, so I went for it.cj7 b.jpgcj7 d.jpgcj7 c.jpg

I just looked and it’s about 3 years to the day, that I extracted this poor CJ from its former den. This is after we chainsawed several trees which had grown in the way, and pulled it out of the shed.
I can still smell the cat shi$

1677798164481.jpeg

That is definitely some great work. What a transformation. Hopefully no top for a while longer will help with the smell. :giggle:

Nice job !

WhT a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelies and whitewalls, very classic. BFG is discontinuing this very iconic trend.

March 11, 23:
-New front bumper installed. Looks pretty good, I think.
-Rear D-ring brackets installed at rear end. I figured I needed something to connect to on the rear for D-ring shackles. Still no rear bumper, but I have a new swing away tire carrier in mind.
-Jeep seems to wander a bit now. So, in order to achieve some more caster, I shortened my front shackles down to factory length and I also cranked in another turn on the tie-rod for more toe-in. Seems a bit better. front bump 1.jpgfront shakl 1.jpg

Just a note that I still have a few things from this build to let go.
I've put a couple of them on the classifieds here, which are...
- Original dash pad
- Original rocker trim pieces

Let me know of any interest.
Thanks!

Attachments

• dash pad 1.jpg
    dash pad 1.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 9
  • rocker trim.jpg
    rocker trim.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 9
Bumper looks good, have you checked to see what your toe in and caster numbers are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Gert.
I have not been able to get the jeep down for an official alignment yet.
I set the toe-in with tape measures and levels, like my dad taught me how decades ago.
I just don't know the caster angle - just sumizing that it decreased.front 2.jpg

Mar 16, 23:
-New stereo head unit (Alpine Bluetooth & radio) installed. Removed the old, cracked Laredo plastic surround-piece on the dash. It was cracked and nasty. The residual adhesive though took a couple hours to remove. Geesh!
-New marine-grade Polk speakers put in as well.
4EA4DA02-8CA2-43FD-BFB5-C5E366593149.jpegCockpit looks nice!

So no more dashpad…

Correct : This dashpad is for sale.

-The rear pull point brackets are pretty nice ..BB0D3062-97E2-4E10-BF57-88611E8C2F3B.jpeg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks