1986 CJ7 2.5 project need advice

1986 CJ7 2.5 project need advice

madmax20

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 with the 2.5, Honda VTX 1800
I come from a family of jeep lovers and my dad had a stock CJ7 sitting in the garage. He finally let me talk him out of it and it is being shipped up to Washington state. This 1986 CJ7 with the 2.5 in it. This is going to be a project jeep I am working on with my boys and I am looks for ideas of where to start first. I know it needs a carb so I was thinking of the weber conversion kit. I am looking to take it camping out in the mountains with lots of mudding so that's what I am gearing towards. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Bring everything up to proper working order, fluids, electrical, mechanical, and the ride in it. Use it for awhile. Now you'll have a better idea of where you want to spend your money, and you've been driving it all this time. As for the mudding, start slow and refine what you need. Tires are a good place to start, maybe a winch, but I would not suggest a lift kit, monster tires, etc. at first. Go camping and see what will work best for you. Use it and abuse it a little to get the best idea of what you need.

I agree with PB 110%. What transmission,transfer case, axles, does she have?

I'll say this, and some might disagree, but i would say away from the weber, i had one, loads of issues with keeping it tuned in town and at high altitude. or keep it really simple and rebuild the old one. until like PB said you have a feel for what the old girl is in need of.

now if your serious about the mudding, i mean if you want to "offroad" right away. that 2.5 might not be the best motor... and gearing is a must along with a mild lift so you can run a taller tire with out rubbing the fenders. you dont need a lift, but is nice when you can stuff the tires in the wells with out rubbing. iv seen lots of guys run 32s without a lift, as long has the current springs arent sagging too much, thats an option..

do you have a pictures of the CJ. like they say, pictures speak a thousand words. :chug:

As was already suggested, make sure your Jeep is mechanically sound first.
But I cant stress safety and recovery equipment enough. Attachment points for a tow strap, a winch or a come-along. Fire extinguisher, shovel, first aid kit, communication devices etc.

You are running either a T4 or a T5 for a tranny with a D300 and 4:10 gears. Those gears are stretching the limits with anything taller than a 30" tire. I once ran 32's with that gearing and the 4 cylinder and it was rough going. So stay within your means.

Mudding can be a dangerous game with 2-piece axles. One hook-up is usually all it takes to spin one. That is, unless your 86 has the Dana 44. Than you are golden.

:ww:
Are there any SMOG issues you need to be concerned with?
The biggest issue right off, is the lack of power from that 4-popper engine.
What mods have been done to this Jeep?
Please get back to us with details of the tranny and R&P ratio.
Also-Look to get'n a copy of the REAL Factory Service Manual, MR-252.
LG

No worries on smog issues but I am finding little to nothing for the 2.5 seems the 6 cyl is the way to go. I think I am going to run the 2.5 this summer then look for a 6 cyl this winter to rebuild any suggestions? What kind of issues do you run into with an engine swap to a 6 cyl? I was told the gearing had been changed but I won't know until I open it up. The 2.5 had a holley on it that is beyond rebuilding any suggestions on a carb? Also any preferred web sites to get performance parts? This summer I'm going to concentrate on changing fluids, brakes, steering, wiring and getting rid of the emissions I think. As soon as I can figure out how to put pics up I will put up some before. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If you don't go to crazy with oversized tires you will find the 4 popper to work pretty fair.
Look'n forward to the pictures.
Sure wish I didn't have to play the SMOG game. :D
LG

No worries on smog issues but I am finding little to nothing for the 2.5 seems the 6 cyl is the way to go. I think I am going to run the 2.5 this summer then look for a 6 cyl this winter to rebuild any suggestions? What kind of issues do you run into with an engine swap to a 6 cyl? I was told the gearing had been changed but I won't know until I open it up. The 2.5 had a holley on it that is beyond rebuilding any suggestions on a carb? Also any preferred web sites to get performance parts? This summer I'm going to concentrate on changing fluids, brakes, steering, wiring and getting rid of the emissions I think. As soon as I can figure out how to put pics up I will put up some before. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
It's a shame you are so far away I would give you one. I have one in the garage and one in mine and I'm going the 4.0 route.

It's a shame you are so far away I would give you one. I have one in the garage and one in mine and I'm going the 4.0 route.

Could well be worth the drive to pick it up!
Very kind offer mtnwhlr. :notworthy:
LG

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks