Build Thread 1985 CJ7 coming apart ---

Rustkill

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7 258 engine.
Hi everyone,

Here we go.

I have decided to restore my 1985 CJ7 258.

I got the Jeep in 1989 in high school. When I got it, it was Olympic white with blue stripes, black interior and black soft top. Around 91 or 92 I got a hardtop and doors for it. the doors came for an 81 I believe (non-moving vent). Over those years had lots of carb / smog problems. At the time I had a place talk me in to rebuilding the engine (to young and (still) dumb to know) years later I added a Howell fuel injection TBI to the jeep (done myself). But before then I tried a new carb. As we know Jeeps were made to rust!! windshield rusted and was replaced seats warn out carpet removed on and on. Still young and dumb so I didn’t save these things.

About 15 years ago, I paid to have a shop refresh the Jeep but I was cheap, soooo.

Got a new paint job, went with the 86 darker gray color. New dash and repaired rust, new floor pan and few things.

I have now decided to do a complete restoration. Just going to list what I am hoping to do.

I want to make this an everyday driver. No off roading (never really has been off road). Not going to change much from OEM (no re-gearing and such)

Going back to Olympic white and blue stripes ( black hard top ) but something a little different for the seats and carpet ( will post pictures of what I am hoping to do)

Repair all rust (not bad, but things to fix). Rust proofing all I can!! Or is rust proofing a joke

Replace all nuts and bolts. Anyone tried one of those kits? Worth it? Stainless

Rebuild air handler (myself)---- thanks to you can do it 2 on YouTube !!

All new wiring (painless ---doing myself)

Adding Ac --- Jeep Air ( myself)

Powder coating frame?? Or just chassis seal then paint

All new hoses / break lines/ fuel lines/ etc.

New carpet and heat shield/ sound proofing for floors

Rebuilding engine (anyone know a really good place around Charleston SC ??? Or Wilmington NC

Going to paint and rust proof and engine parts / exhaust and so on

Seats—I got original seats, going to fix /rust proof frame then reupholster.

Getting new metal dash -From (double D fabrication)-upgrading to Laredo style so adding Tach and clock only– looking at speedhut.( or source OEM) With retro stereo. Going to keep my other gauges don’t like the speed hunt ones, but did see where a guy got them to make some that look way more oem so maybe. Still thinking

New body mounts thinking rubber again a kit, the poly ones seem to hard stiff ride??

Upgrade CJ to YJ leaf springs conversion--- not sure who yet, I want a simple kit. no lift

New shocks --- Bilstein shocks

I do not want to have a lift on the Jeep I can live with a small lift that new springs would give, but I do not want a 2 or 4inch or whatever lift !!!!!!!!!!!

Going to switch to Holley sniper so I can use original air cleaner

Repair /paint / rust proof all brakes. Not upgrading. New parts as needed

Going to have someone check differentials, getting new bearing, new seals, fix / redo if needed then refresh / rust Proof

Can you tell I hate rust

Going to have transmission checked and cleaned rebuild if needed, new clutch.

NOTE++ the Jeep was driven and ran fine before I took it apart

Going OEM as much as make since but maybe small changes here and there.

If anyone knows places in and around the Charleston SC or Wilmington NC area for having work done , rebuilding engine , transmission , diffs, shops that do a great job, let me know please ,I have not looked into this area much yet.

Will add pictures and info from time to time. I got the jeep mostly apart. The slow stage will be shopping out the stuff I don’t know how to do. I know this is going to cost a lot of money so I hope I don’t throw my money away and shop smart!!!! Can short videos but uploaded?

I am sure I forgot lots of things, my mind is full.

if i have done with post wrong sorry.driver side before.jpgsome things removed.jpgbody on lift fire wall.jpgjeep.jpgjeep 1-27-1996.jpgbody gone.jpg

Good luck with your redo.

Are your old springs not bent and in decent shape…

If you will sell them let me know $ shipped to El Paso, TX.

i dont think much is wrong with the springs, there was a small lean to one side but i think that was a body mount. I dont want to sell anything just yet. if I decide to let them go, I will message and send better pictures.
thanks

Thanks. Should’ve PM’ed you instead.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
updating a little been working on the oem seats frames i got. pulled the bottom foam off to clean up and stop rusting and fixed a nut here and there and added some reinforcement. I will ospho the bottoms and the paint with chassis seal.
still need to work on the back seat.

will add some pictures when painted. i left the top foam on, shop will do the bottoms and recover like last pic once i am done.
I wanted oem seats, i had some aftermarket junk in the jeep for years and always hated them.
thanks

Attachments

• drivers seat frame before top.jpg
    drivers seat frame before top.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 2
  • pass seat top clean with a little clean up.jpg
    pass seat top clean with a little clean up.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 2
  • welding on seat.jpg
    welding on seat.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 2
  • seats reinforcement 2.jpg
    seats reinforcement 2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 2
  • pass set after alittle clean up.jpg
    pass set after alittle clean up.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2022-09-12 16.28.49.jpg
    2022-09-12 16.28.49.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 2
How’s it going with the dismantling…

slow going

update, i talked to a shop in Wilmington NC about working on and painting.

I have started buying parts and things i need
so far, small stuff, handles and bolts ,plus the direct fit painless wiring harness.

worked on the doors

I talked to a guy in charleston about checking and working on anything engine , transmission, I am super nervous about this part. I think i am going to go to his shop next week and check it out before making that call or find someone else.

talked to a guy about blasting the frame and powder coating plus few other parts. seat frames / tire rack/ air cleaner / parts that bolt on the engine and frame.

I have been lazy for the most part.

also i have decided not to go back with the original color( Olympic white) i am going with c4 Ice blue metallic.

looking up parts and trying to find the best price / and best option.

I need to order the yj conversion kit ( springs and kit ) but unsure which way to go. dont want to get the wrong thing and i dont want any lift!!
was looking at this (Link)-> YJ Spring Conversion: 1976-86 CJ to YJ Spring Conversion -<

going to start restoring the heater box in the next few weeks. if i can stop being so lazy.

Money Money Money

pass door.jpg

drivers door.jpg

ice blue cj.jpeg

• Thanks for the Post!
Right on, man. Take time and make good decisions.

So you can still buy brand new factory style YJ leaf springs, the soft ones that normally run flat. That is great news for some of us here.

• Thanks for the Post!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks