Trans 1985 4.2 Laredo CJ7 T5 Manual Transmission Oil

Trans 1985 4.2 Laredo CJ7 T5 Manual Transmission Oil

hoods5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ& Laredo
Hey guys,

Ok so I've read many threads but nothing really current. I have a, 85 CJ7 4.2 with the T5 manual transmission.

What oil do I use? It looks like it should be the synchromesh but what weight 75W90????

Any recommendations that you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

You can read the debates on this until your eyes bleed.
What I know and have used. GL4 is specific for a syncro trans but a low sulfate GL5 such as Valvoline will work. You and I are in FL so cold weather is probably not a big issue :D so synthetic is not a must have. 75w90 GL4 is fine for FL. 75w90 in cold weather can make it slightly more difficult to shift. Do not use any ATF.

I ditched the T5 years ago, but I was running 75/90 GL4/5 and it would grind the 3/4 shift. Synchromesh eliminated that until I pulled it in favor of a T19.

So does synchromesh have a stated weight to it or is it all the same weight? Is it al 75W 90 or are there different weights? I don't see any weights listed on any of the synchromesh bottles that I've seen online.

So does synchromesh have a stated weight to it or is it all the same weight? Is it al 75W 90 or are there different weights? I don't see any weights listed on any of the synchromesh bottles that I've seen online.
A syncromesh is the brass toothed ring between the gears in the transmission that are designed to equalize the speed of the gears while shifting so they do not grind. It is not in the oil. It's the additives in the oil that make it specific for synchronized transmissions, GL4. 75w90 is the viscosity of the oil. 75w when cool and 90w when at temp.
The syncromesh bottles are an addictives for standard 75w90 oil so it turns into the oil type you require when mixed.
Long story, short, just buy 75w90 GL4 oil.

I'm not sure of the additive CJ is speaking of, but the product I used was intended to be used straight out the the bottle. I dont remember what brand (Valvaline, Penzoil,etc ) nor do I remember if it came in different weights. Just look for Synchromesh for manual transmissions, I dont think brand will matter.

Hey guys,

Ok so I've read many threads but nothing really current. I have a, 85 CJ7 4.2 with the T5 manual transmission.

What oil do I use? It looks like it should be the synchromesh but what weight 75W90????

Any recommendations that you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
w does not mean weight. w means winter

I'm not sure of the additive CJ is speaking of, but the product I used was intended to be used straight out the the bottle. I dont remember what brand (Valvaline, Penzoil,etc ) nor do I remember if it came in different weights. Just look for Synchromesh for manual transmissions, I dont think brand will matter.
Same thing you are, just do not add it if the oil is already GL4/5 rated.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks