Build Thread 1984 CJ7 Freshening up a bit

Build Thread 1984 CJ7 Freshening up a bit

Jmw3d19

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 Base Hodge podgey thing, 4spd, some kind of twin stick transfer case, 4.2 swapped in, other more questionable things added or removed by PO also. I'm still sorting it out. I really don't know much about it yet. EDIT: I still dont know much about it.
Somethings I'm still figuring out but here's what I know.
1984 CJ7
Engine: 258 cu in (4.2 L) AMC I6, possible California motor (factory 2.5)
Transmission: manual, unsure of model (factory auto)
Transfer Case: twin stick unknown model
Rear Axle: unknown (stock?)
Front Axle: unknown (stock?)

Only after getting a link from another member here I learned it was a factory 4cyl auto. The PO was in the process of making it semi submersible. Like an M38A1 with a fording kit but homemade or something. Im just cleaning up after him now.

One thing I will try to get figured out is if it has the right water pump in it. It has a serpentine belt. So it should be a Cali motor but who knows what pump is in it. The PO put dual electric fans (to shut off while fording he said) and a larger aluminum radiator but also off handedly admitted both were added because it was having over heating issue The fans and radiator fixed it (?) However I was not convinced they addressed theunderlying problem. After posting here I learned I should look into the water pump as well.

Mostly Im replacing or repairing only whats absolutely necessary to be safe and even a tad more reliable than when I got it. One big project is adding power steering. Im 90 percent complete with that now.

Next will be electical under the dash (currently 50% operational) replace all cab heat components (hard to wheel in Washington state in fall/winter without it really) and the exhaust needs some attention, mostly a muffler and to be dumped out some but under my front seats like it is now.

I will have to address a rather substantial leak either from the back of the motor or front of the transmission. It doesnt seem to be losing oil so Ill check the trans soon.

One broken bolt for power steering bracke/leaf spring plate on frame I have to drill out. Havent planned for that yet. It will be interesting.

I dont intend to paint it just do minor corrosion control and repair. I like it kind of ratty (or with all its character intact), so sue me. :p On this note there is only one bad area of rust and that is on the drivers side under where the forward leg of the roll bar mounts to. Definitely a safety issue.

Attachments

• 20160906_152812.jpg
    20160906_152812.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160906_155103.jpg
    20160906_155103.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160910_230552.jpg
    20160910_230552.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20161108_170713.jpg
    20161108_170713.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170505_004304.jpg
    20170505_004304.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 62
I like it kind of ratty (or with all its character intact).
Looks better than half the Jeeps around where I live! I think that you have a good foundation for an enjoyable build as long as the frame is in decent shape.

the oil leak in the back of the motor is most likely the valve cover seal that is really typical in the 4.2L and in fact the only ones ive seen not leaking or already fixed are the ones with no oil in them or not running

Looks better than half the Jeeps around where I live! I think that you have a good foundation for an enjoyable build as long as the frame is in decent shape.
Wisconsin, yah, I believe it. Ive heard of newer cars that start to show signs of rust over there even. I cant imagine what a 32 year old Jeep would look like. :-(

The frame is solid. I checked that and other kniwn rust spots. I didnt however know about the roll bar rusting out. I hope she turns out to be an easy build. I paid 2600 for her and with just adding power steering i think im slightly ahead on what ive got in her so far, especially because i used all brand new parts. Thanks for the reply. :-)

the oil leak in the back of the motor is most likely the valve cover seal that is really typical in the 4.2L and in fact the only ones ive seen not leaking or already fixed are the ones with no oil in them or not running
Haha i tell people all the time if a jeep is leaking something you have nothing to worry about. Its when it stops youve got p problems because it's probably empty.

If the valve cover is leaking that would be awesome, easy fix! Ill take a look tomorrow and see if thats the source. Thanks for the heads up. :-)

The two water pumps have been giving people issues for years.

The serpentine system uses a reverse rotation water pump and the v-belt system, a standard rotation. If swapped around then you will have filling issues.

Only way to tell is to pull the pump and look at the impeller and compare it to a couple of them at your local parts place.

About the pump thing, an old timey mechanic at work said I could pull the radiator cap and once its warmed up a bit to watch the flow direction through the radiator. In the case of mine it flows from passenger side to drivers side.

UPDATE: the power steering system install is all done except bleeding any remaining air out of the system. All brackets and braces are installed, aligned and tightened. It was a trick figuring out which ones to start with because like many things at work even, you kind of have to run fasteners in, in a certain order, and leave them all kind of loose until final torquing starts. Then tighten them up in a weird kinda torque pattern to keep everything from binding or going hard up too quickly.

While trying to drill out the broken bolt on the drivers side to mount the read most part of the steering box bracket I ended up breaking off the welded nut inside the frame rail. In response I decided to drill from the top of the frame (slightly under the grill) and running a 5 1/2" long, 1/2"-13 bolt through the frame and brackets to the bottom where I threw on a nut and lock washer. They should be fine but I'm still deciding if I want to use nylocs instead. I'll see how goes.

I got the steering gear box cross brace mounted up. I soaked the leaf spring bolt in penetrating oil for a few days and that rusty thing came right out almost like it was a brand new fastener. I cleaned the threats, added graphitic lubricant, ran a tap up the hole and it went in like butter. The other hole in the brace to frame mounting bracket lined up with an existing hole with a welded backing nut I didn't even know was there until I started the install. I was expecting to have to drill and do some crazy back yard mechanican but nope, I got lucky. I'm not sure what that hole was for but it saved me a lot of time and effort. I ran a tap up it and applied thread more lubricant to the bolt. For a hole that's been exposed to the elements for who knows how long, and it went in nice and smooth.

After a final check for leaks at the gear box unions I'll be reinstalling the radiator, grill and front lights.

Unfortunately the next stop for this Jeep will be into my big garage to be stored until I can get my old civic going and sold. Then yard work caught up, then house work caught up, you know adult stuff. :-(

Once Thats all out of the way I'll drive it around for a bit then re-torque all fasteners to what ever specific torque or general industrial process I happen to find for the size of fastener.

Next will be electrical under the dash. I don't like electrical. Not looking forward to fighting that fight. Haha

Just a few pictures to add some show to the tell. And yes, in one pic that is flip flops and socks. I decided to take pictures after I changed into PJs and got ready for bed. They were what were immediately available. :p

Attachments

• 20170506_132149.jpg
    20170506_132149.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20170507_231631.jpg
    20170507_231631.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170507_231506.jpg
    20170507_231506.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20170507_231517.jpg
    20170507_231517.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
And a few more. I had to modify the steering box cross brace a bit to make it fit right. As seen in the pics. Which for this brand, Rugged ridge, that sounds like its to be expected (?). Not hard just annoying. Also, the clamp that attached to box housing above the pitman arm output shaft had to be left open a bit on the drivers side to account for a structural cast reinforcing bit dropping down from the main body to the out put shaft area. Im not sure if this is normal but its tight and seems to work.

Attachments

• 20170509_134411.jpg
    20170509_134411.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20170509_134340.jpg
    20170509_134340.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20170509_134539.jpg
    20170509_134539.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20170509_132922.jpg
    20170509_132922.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170509_132753.jpg
    20170509_132753.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 43
Just a few pictures to add some show to the tell. And yes, in one pic that is flip flops and socks. I decided to take pictures after I changed into PJs and got ready for bed. They were what were immediately available. :p

I used to have a buddy that only owned berkinstocks and thats all he wore year round socks and all.

I used to have a buddy that only owned berkinstocks and thats all he wore year round socks and all.

I live in Washington state where berkinstocks are the state foot wear. I do not partake and think theyre silly but people here seem to love them more than most other areas. :p

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks