Build Thread 1981

Build Thread 1981

Sieldan

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-5 AMC V8
1981 CJ5

Greetings all. Moving things from Misc to a Build Thread here.

I used to wheel a 98 Dodge Dakota that was heavily modified with a tube bed, 2.5ton Rockwell Axles and hydraulic 4 wheel steering. Had tons of fun in that Ol Goat. But life changed and I had to let her go. Missed that ol girl.

Fast forward a few years and the itch to wheel and wrench got too strong to ignore. Always have wanted a Jeep so the search began. I found this 1981 CJ5 in a price that I could afford. Went and took a look and bought her. Not having a truck or trailer, I had to drive her home. Nothing like a 4 hour road trip in an untested rig. Lost a tire to bead separation about an hour from home. Had a bunch of fun with that. Wound up dropping her off at a friends house. Found a cheep used tire, and got her home a few weeks later.

81CJ5_zpsortnzliy.jpg

The Jeep had a AMC 304, SR4, Dana 30 front, AMC20 rear, and a driver seat that was held up by a 2x4 jammed behind the back rest.

First thing first, get her registered and titled. Ran into a bit of an issue with that as the vin that was on the windshield did not match the vin on the title I had gotten from the seller. Big mistake on my part not verifying it. The vin plate on the fire wall was unreadable.

rawVinPlate_zpsaulcdq5h.jpg

Cleaned it up with some paint stripper and wire brushes and got this:

restoredVin_zpsywlm6pkx.jpg

Success! Was able to verify that the vin on the title and the Jeep actually matched. Got her registered and retitled in my name and she is now officially mine!

My Jeep is supposed to be Mountain Blue with Blue Vinyl Denim High Back Bucket Seats with a 4 cylinder 4speed manual transmission. I intend on repainting her to her original blue and I want it to look like this:
MountainBlueJeep_zpsb2b39imn.jpg

The SR4 was giving me problems already by not staying in gear, espcially reverse so after some research and searching, I found a T176 and D300 for sale locally and pretty cheap too.

Got wrapped up in actually doing the swap that I didnt get pics. But in verifying fitment, I did make this little diagram that may be helpful to someone. Here are the dimensions of the input shafts for both the SR4 and the T176.

SR4-T176InputShaftDims_zpscktbmead.jpg

After installing the T176, I turned my attention to the steering. She wandered quite a bit, and for some reason, the PO had removed the power steering pump and just 'capped' off the lines on the steering gear. Power Steering with out a pump sucks. While investigating my next steps, I noticed this:
20160702_152121_zpseyb2sysk.jpg
]
20160702_152119_zps75av5wgt.jpg

So, found a pump, brackets, and a lower column bearing and got all that installed. Thought I had to clock the distributor in order to clear the pump belts and ran into issues with the motor running. During which I found out I had a points type ignition.

304Points_zps5u5tduwy.jpg
304Points_zps5u5tduwy.jpg

Borrowed a timing set and got that straightened out. Now the motor is running nice and strong and power steering to boot!

Somewhere in there I lost headlights. The dimmer switch on the floor board just disintegrated! Little bit of research and I decided to deep six the floor switch for a dash mounted toggle and relays to lessen the load inside the body. Again, no pics. Ill try to get some next time Im out working on the Jeep.

This whole time, the turn signals have been a bit wonky, and brake lights non functional. So in working to get those fixed, this happened:
dashRemoved_zpsndq5n6ry.jpg
dashHarness_zpsypoeajjn.jpg

So thats where we stand. This is going to be a slow build as I am on a shoestring budget and very little free time.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!!!

Thanks for sharing your adventure, looks and sounds like you are off to a great start.

Thanks for sharing should be fun. Make sure you have good grounds to everything that should help alot

Welcome back to the 4x4 world. Thanks for saving a good old CJ5.

Re: 1981 CJ5

This whole time, the turn signals have been a bit wonky, and brake lights non functional. So in working to get those fixed, this happened:
dashRemoved_zpsndq5n6ry.jpg
dashHarness_zpsypoeajjn.jpg

So thats where we stand. This is going to be a slow build as I am on a shoestring budget and very little free time.

It's not as bad as it might seem. Get a good wiring diagram. I suggest this one: Jeep 1981 CJ-5 & CJ-7 | Prospero's Garage It will save you a lot of time and headaches. Get some good replacement wire, copper not aluminum. A good solder gun, and some marine Heat shrink. You'll also need a heat gun to shrink the heat shrink. All of this you can get at Harbor Freight or on line for not too much money. Repair on circuit at a time. Test it. You can add 12 volts to the fuse block for this. Then get some wire loom (also HF). Wrap everything, and before long it will look like this:

WP_20141021_005_zps79663997.jpg

Work progresses. This is a close approximation of the stock color. I have all new switches in hand, led bulbs on the way, and a new seat and seat belts! My goal is to get this girl on the road again as I save up for all new sheet metal. But I am going to take care of her in thee mean time.

197ff0c64f6a68bdf90d34bb51b9cf17.jpg

Sieldan

Looks good. That's the same color blue mine is suppose to be. I was going to go with that sine it was the original color, but when I get done very little will be original with a Custom CJ Truck, so it's going to be green, my favorite. Was that a rattle can for the dash, or do you have a gun?

Yeah, that is Rustoleum Sail Blue. Its a bit brighter blue than the original Montana Blue that is stock, but I like it, and Ill continue using it as I refurbish parts. Then Ill bomb the whole thing. lol.

This is going to be a slow build as I am on a shoestring budget and very little free time.

I feel your pain. I'm beginning to think I just might live long enough to drive mine..... don't give up and keep us posted!!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks