Build Thread 1981 CJ7 Trail Rig Build

Build Thread 1981 CJ7 Trail Rig Build
Agree! I love my new welder!

A LITTLE more progress made today!

I'm toying with this passenger compartment layout. Rear facing back seat, with the fuel cell tucked between the seats. I'd route a full rollover vent, to prevent fuel from leaking, in the event of a roll over. It'll be an off road only rig, really, and I feel like the fuel cell is very well protected tucked between the seats like that.

20230113_171327.jpg20230113_171258.jpg

Also mounted my new CB. Need to run a couple of wires and grab an ignition source.
20230113_171244.jpg

I'm officially committed to my spring location, as my spring hangers are burned on.

I picked up some 1.75"x0.120" HREW tubing today, and running a couple hours away to pick up 3 sticks of 1.75x0.120" DOM tubing over the weekend. Gonna rip the stock cage out and start bending up a new cage soon. Going to make all of my hoops and main supports out of DOM tubing. Some braces, fold down tire carrier and some body armor will be made from HREW tubing. I used to use DOM for everything, but it's so much more expensive than the HREW, AND the HREW is available locally, so I'm utilizing that, where it's appropriate.

I don't know why, but I also picked up some materials to build a full length belly skid plate, so she'll slide over rocks a little better.

I don't know why I'm doing all of this, as I have a tube rock buggy that I SHOULD be investing my time and money into. On that note, I did pick up a high pinion Dana 60 front, and a Dana 70 rear axle for the rock buggy. I went with the D70 rear, instead of the 14 bolt rear, as it will give me more gearing options. Keeping my feelers out for another D300 t-case for the rock buggy, and going to run a 4:1 gear set in it, and flip it, to be a drivers drop in the rock buggy. Anyway, back to working on the CJ! I'm planning on taking this rig up to Moab for the Waster Jeep Safari, so hopefully I can get it done. I'll be hanging onto the stock cage for now, so I can use it if I don't get the new cage built before EJS. 20230113_173428.jpg

With your fabrication skills, why did you stick with leaf springs instead of coils…

I've asked myself the same question! Thank you for the compliment, too! I guess that I wanted to build a CJ on leaf springs that flexed well. I'm also building a tube chassis rock buggy, with an LS, TH-400, Atlas 3 speed case, 4-linked front and rear on 42's. So, I'll have a super capable crawler with it. I guess that I just wanted a good leaf sprung trail rig.

Honestly, it's probably because everyone seems to think that you must be linked to work well. And probably a little because I'm stubborn! 😬

On that note, I made a bit more progress today. Welded a new muffler on. Still need to run a tailpipe all the way back. Also cut and flared my factory hard fuel lines, and plumbed my fuel cell to them.

The rest of my day involved bringing my new D60, D70 and LS engine for the rock buggy home! I really need to get the CJ wrapped up, so I can get into my buggy build. Right now, I'm really just lacking getting my shock hoops done, shocks mounted, brakes plumbed, axles painted, and lastly a new roll cage, and swing down tire carrier built!

I hear you.

Hey, I’ve got a question for you. Have you flipped U-bolts on a normal SUA setup…

I did on an old YJ I had, but don't have any pictures of that Jeep. I like the u-bolt eliminator kits, that completely get rid of u-bolts.

A little more progress! I fitted my rear driveshaft with a conversion u-joint. Won't have to deal with a conversion joint with my new Tom Woods driveshaft, but wanted to get this spare driveline ready to use. Also, got one out of four shock hoops done. Building them stout, and will tie them into my new roll cage, so that if I decide to four link and coil-over the Jeep later, it will be ready to run coilovers. 20230119_140451.jpg20230119_131353.jpg20230119_140443.jpg

I did on an old YJ I had, but don't have any pictures of that Jeep. I like the u-bolt eliminator kits, that completely get rid of u-bolts.
Guess I’m behind in technology. What are they ?

I need to stay focused on my original intent of this Jeep. I keep staring at the one tons and LS engine in my garage, and keep thinking about how cool the CJ7 would be. But, it'll be a fun rig the way that it is being built. Going to take it to a lot of cool trails this year!

Great. Thanks for the link. No U-bolts, that got me thinking until I saw the image.

And from what I can tell, the snubber doesn’t need relocation.

The website says it’s intended for SOA, not SUA. What do you think…

Thanks again Nik.

did somebody mention SOA with reverse u-bolts, my new to me CJ this Sat
2023-01-19_204451.jpg

This thing is looking amazing! I can't believe how fast your progress is! If you have it driving by Feb 5th, I am planning a trail day in Sedona!

I hate you guys in the warmer weather states, I need a heater in my garage by next winter

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks