1980 CJ5 spare tire bracket strengthening question

1980 CJ5 spare tire bracket strengthening question

Gun papa

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ5
I own my Dad's 1980 CJ5. The Jeep has big tires. The spare seems like it is too heavy for the rear bracket. Is there something that can strengthen the bracket maybe from with the body?

It would have to be a support of some kind to help hold the extra weight, but not be “attached” to the carrier. You should also reinforce the hinge mounting point in the tub, as well as the latch. If not, you risk stress fracturing the sheet metal. A good option would be to switch to a bumper mounted carrier - they can carry a good bit more weight.

I’m sure if there is a way to reinforce the stock carrier, someone here will have done it. Hopefully they will see this and respond.

Sent from right here.......

Reinforcing the body mounts are the hardest. I looked at it for quite awhile on mine and wasn’t totally confident that I could get enough plate welded inside the tub to prevent paint crack.

If you wanted to plate it on outside of tub, may have better luck. But I’m not an engineer, I would think best is to sandwhich. Lower mount is very tough to weld from backside. Not a lot of room to get at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks