Build Thread 1979 CJ7 Build

Build Thread 1979 CJ7 Build

NC79Cj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79’ CJ7
and so it begins.....

I miss my old 89' YJ that I sold a few years ago so I am back in the Jeep game as I bought this CJ7 late July 2021. The plan is to restore it but with upgrades. It runs and drives but needed carb rebuild and suspension since all leaf spring and shackles bushings were shot.

So far I have repainted top of motor, rebuilt the carb, received new suspension, but cannot drive since new gas tank is not here yet. I'll continue to update with pictures as I go along.

Engine pics are before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_E1227.JPG
    IMG_E1227.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Original 1.JPG
    Original 1.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Original 8.jpg
    Original 8.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 28
Is a frame-off restoration in your plans?

Is a frame-off restoration in your plans?
Probably not frame off since there is no major rust. Just minor surface rust so I am planning to have everything under it blasted then go back with Por 15 coating on everything.

It should look pretty much new, I hope.

Very rewarding to do it, but I don’t have the space in my house for such venture. Keep us posted with your progress.

Very rewarding to do it, but I don’t have the space in my house for such venture. Keep us posted with your progress.
I don't really have the space for a frame off either. I'll definitely keep posting pics as I continue to make progress. Still working on the motor but hopefully have it running in next two weeks.

Just a few updates. Motor is back together and finally recieved new gas tank and painted it along with skid plate. Can't believe previous owners didn't realize the tank was in such bad shape. Still waiting for new shackles so I can install the new suspension. I had to upgrade to expensive Warrior shackles since so many parts are backorded, oh well. At least it'll be good quality. While waiting on the shackles, I'm going to repaint the oil pan and install new gasket. Hope to have running again in a few weeks, fingers crossed. Pictures are gas tank and motor, before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Original 8.jpg
    Original 8.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 22
That gas tank surely was shot. Make sure to pretest your fuel level circuit while you still have the tank out.

At 4” and thirty fives, you got a big plan for your rig. It won’t be too easy.

I am sure you’ll eventually give it a coat of paint. Do you know what type of paint you will use? I plan on painting my rig this winter, it will be plain white. Based on internet searches, I am leaning towards what they call the single stage. The process seems simple and practical for a first timer.

That gas tank surely was shot. Make sure to pretest your fuel level circuit while you still have the tank out.

At 4” and thirty fives, you got a big plan for your rig. It won’t be too easy.

I am sure you’ll eventually give it a coat of paint. Do you know what type of paint you will use? I plan on painting my rig this winter, it will be plain white. Based on internet searches, I am leaning towards what they call the single stage. The process seems simple and practical for a first timer.
Right now the plan is to get the body straight and throw a coat of primer on it this winter. I will be going back with a classic black for paint color hopefully in the spring so its ready for summer. Not sure on the paint process but my body shop guy has been doing classic cars for over 30 years and said he will give it a very good quality paint job. I was quoted $5k for paint and body work which is a little steeper than I was hoping for but I think it will be worth it.

My existing tires seem to be to much of a risk to drive on so I just purchased 35x12.5x15 Mickey Thompson MTZs and the 15x8 Raceline Rockcrusher wheels. Broke a strap on the gas tank install so hope to have running as soon as the new strap comes in.

1632758149235.png

I like your choice of wheels, are you planning to get a new set of tires to pair it with?
Good luck with this build.
Yes sir, going to put 35x12.5x15 Mickey Thompson MTZs on it!

It seems like you are a fan of Mickey Thompson tires and wheels. Make sure to share a photo once you're done installing it.

It seems like you are a fan of Mickey Thompson tires and wheels. Make sure to share a photo once you're done installing it.
The wheels are Raceline not Mickey Thompson (MT). It's the first set of MT tires I've had so hopefully I become a fan. I was between BFG KM3's and the MT's for that classic mud terrain look but in my opinion, I think the BFG KM3's were ruined when they went with that new side wall. If they still made the original KM or KM2, I would have gone that route but I can't find them so Mickey Thompson it is.

Those classic mud terrains from BFG were second to none. Their whitewall and iconic raised lettering is also discontinued. What a shame. To their credit, their newer muds perform amazingly well on road.

I ran a set of Baja Claws from Mickey Thomson till they went bald, and they worked great on the sand dunes. Good luck with your MTZ’s.

Had MTZ's and they did great in all situations. Minimal road noise for a mud tire.

Finally got it running again but I think it has a starter issue so I went ahead and ordered a new one. It runs awesome though so very happy about that. Video attached, hopefully it works.

New wheels should be here Wednesday and will take them to get the new MT's put on. Looks like we are going to get rain all week so I am not sure if I'll get to the new suspension before the weekend. Finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel though.

Attachments

• IMG_1545[1].MOV
    24 MB
Right on!

So after replacing the starter & starter soleniod, it was the battery cables and ground that was causing issues. She fires up everytime now. Got the rims in today and dropped them off to get tires mounted so should have them back next few days. Suspension is going in ASAP now but cross your fingers on the install. From previous suspension experiences, I expect a lot of beer and cursing is in my near future :)

New suspension, tires and rims are in! Had it all together last weekend but broke a brake line fitting so had to wait a week for new part before i could drive it. I love the look. I have a little scrubbing on passenger leaf spring but its not bad. I messed around with cleaning the paint after I took these photos and it doesnt look half bad. I plan to buff and detail soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1589[1].JPG
    IMG_1589[1].JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1591[1].JPG
    IMG_1591[1].JPG
    572.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1588[1].JPG
    IMG_1588[1].JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 20
Also, picked up a set of full doors for $200. Needs some work and paint but no dents or rust so they should turn out pretty good down the road.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks