Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2012 Dodge Ram 4X4
2010 Jeep Grand Ch
1994 SVT Mustang Cobra
1976 CJ-7
Hey folks,
I have started my 1976 CJ7 Project, but I have a few questions about the quadra trac system.
1. Should I just replace the transfer case with a newer/normal case? (I am taking the Jeep down to the frame ne w everything, rebuilding the 304, TH400, axels, supination, etc)
2. If I leave it in the Jeep what do I gain, other than originality?
3. How does it work for day to day driving?
Thanks for taking the time to help!
Mike :confused:

Keep in mind that if you replace the quadratrac transfer case you will need to swap in a rear axle with a centered chunk. Your rear axle should be offset right now to match up with the offset quadratrac tansfer case. But for normal driving the quadratrac setup is just fine. People seem to develop problems with that set up in the offroad areas

QT's require a special fluid or the cone clutches will where out. Some QT's don't have a low range, some do. The biggest issue with them is when the chain wears out. They wear out kinda fast due to the full time operation. you can get a part time kit, which fixes the wear issues and allows it to run like a normal t-case. To replace it with something else requires an adapter kit, which for a TH400 requires replacing the output shaft. The QT tranny output shaft sticks out ten inches past the end of the transmission.

Thanks for the info guys! Well I still think I am on the fence, but I will have the trans and case check out before I make the call. If they are in good shap we will keep them, but if not I will deside then.....

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for the info guys! Well I still think I am on the fence, but I will have the trans and case check out before I make the call. If they are in good shap we will keep them, but if not I will deside then.....

Thanks,
Mike

Wanted to jump in here. I also have the "first" year CJ7, with the V8, TH400, and QT. For now, I installed manual locking hubs, later I will do the T case mod. All my friends have manual trans, which are great......but the big TH400 really is just awesome. Frees up the hands for the cold beer......lol :chug:

Wanted to jump in here. I also have the "first" year CJ7, with the V8, TH400, and QT. For now, I installed manual locking hubs, later I will do the T case mod. All my friends have manual trans, which are great......but the big TH400 really is just awesome. Frees up the hands for the cold beer......lol :chug:
Running an unmodified QT with lock out hubs unlocked is a good way to destroy the Tcase. They were never designed to run like this and should not be run as such. The center diff cannot be locked in high range.

Running an unmodified QT with lock out hubs unlocked is a good way to destroy the Tcase. They were never designed to run like this and should not be run as such. The center diff cannot be locked in high range.

Wow, didn't know that. My neighbor recommended, has been running the hubs on his QT for about 4 years, no problems. Yikes! I'm new at this. What will be damage in the T case?

Wow, didn't know that. My neighbor recommended, has been running the hubs on his QT for about 4 years, no problems. Yikes! I'm new at this. What will be damage in the T case?
The QT has a Limited slip differential and that's what you are abusing. The QT drives the front and rear driveshafts. It the front has unlocked hubs the Limited slip tries to grip and drive only the rear. This causes the clutch to wear out fast.
don't install front hubs unless the QT has been converted to part time
The short term fix is to make sure you always have the front hubs locked.

The QT has a Limited slip differential and that's what you are abusing. The QT drives the front and rear driveshafts. It the front has unlocked hubs the Limited slip tries to grip and drive only the rear. This causes the clutch to wear out fast.
don't install front hubs unless the QT has been converted to part time
The short term fix is to make sure you always have the front hubs locked.
Spoke with my neighbor about this. He ran one truck four years with the hubs...still running it and the 4wd still works great. The previous truck was ran 11 years....and no troubles. This could be because of very Limited hwy travel, mostly off roading, and very little of that. When the bucks become available, I plan on doing the T case mod, but will drive it the way it is for a while. Thanks

When the clutch in the transfer case goes out you will still be able to drive in 4WD. It just won't be able to pull with the front axle when the rear looses traction, and vice versa. If you lock the diff with the "emergency drive" activated in the glove box then the diff in the TCase will be locked and it won't be slipping the clutch in the QT. That's how your neighbor is minimizing the wear. But keep in mind the front driveshaft will always turn on a Quadratrac. So you will always be turning the front axle parts. If you unlock the front hubs you will not be binding as you go around sharp corners. But a QuadraTrac has a differential just for the reason of eliminating the binding as you go around corners. What I am saying is there is zero advantage to spending the time and money installing hubs on a QuadraTrac equipped jeep. The QuadraTrac was designed to be a full time transfer case. Full time transfer cases need the front hubs connected. Now if you convert your TCase to part time then get locking hubs.

When the clutch in the transfer case goes out you will still be able to drive in 4WD. It just won't be able to pull with the front axle when the rear looses traction, and vice versa. If you lock the diff with the "emergency drive" activated in the glove box then the diff in the TCase will be locked and it won't be slipping the clutch in the QT. That's how your neighbor is minimizing the wear. But keep in mind the front driveshaft will always turn on a Quadratrac. So you will always be turning the front axle parts. If you unlock the front hubs you will not be binding as you go around sharp corners. But a QuadraTrac has a differential just for the reason of eliminating the binding as you go around corners. What I am saying is there is zero advantage to spending the time and money installing hubs on a QuadraTrac equipped jeep. The QuadraTrac was designed to be a full time transfer case. Full time transfer cases need the front hubs connected. Now if you convert your TCase to part time then get locking hubs.
Thanks BusaDave, all makes good sense. The emergency lock-in switch is missing on my jeep, and at this point, no vacuum lines to the transfer case. Neighbor and I thought is was stuck....so to speak...in the locked mode. Front and rear diffs were clinking and clanking, when turning the steering only about half way. Really sounded like something was going to break. At least now I can move it around my driveway and garage....and clanking is gone. In time, I plan on installing the vacuum switch and lines, and eventually the Mile Marker kit which allows it to actually be part time. Again, thanks for the sharing of knowlegde.....I'm here to learn. :chug:

I have a 77 with the QT and I don't think for me and/or my use I'd have anything else. I love it.

You have AWD unless you want / need FWD then you have a switch right there to go full FWD without getting out to mess with hubs.

The QT's got a little bit of a bad rap because they weren't marketed correctly and thus the owners didn't use them right and then complained when they wore out due to being used incorrectly.

I have a 77 with the QT and I don't think for me and/or my use I'd have anything else. I love it.

You have AWD unless you want / need FWD then you have a switch right there to go full FWD without getting out to mess with hubs.

The QT's got a little bit of a bad rap because they weren't marketed correctly and thus the owners didn't use them right and then complained when they wore out due to being used incorrectly.

Ok... That drives me to another question. How can I go back to a "hubless" set-up? I am at a point where I can go ether direction. The Jeep is down to the frame and I am dropping the Trans & T-Case off to be rebuilt this week.

The the question is to convert to 2x4 / 4x4 with locking hubs or leave it stock?

Come on guys I need your thoughts fast!:notworthy:

Ok... That drives me to another question. How can I go back to a "hubless" set-up? I am at a point where I can go ether direction. The Jeep is down to the frame and I am dropping the Trans & T-Case off to be rebuilt this week.

The the question is to convert to 2x4 / 4x4 with locking hubs or leave it stock?

Come on guys I need your thoughts fast!:notworthy:

If you're rebuilding the QT, then I assume you're keeping the QT, then in that case you definitely don't need locking hubs. But make SURE whoever rebuilds that QT puts QT fluid in, and not "something close" or "something similar".

As to removing locking hubs, I'll have to defer to someone more knowledgeable than I on that.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom