1974 cj5

1974 cj5

tank5531

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 cj5 w/304 v8
Hi I just joined and I Just bought an old 1974 CJ5 with a 304 v8. other than that I don't know much about it. i know at one time It had a 2.5" lift on it but the springs are collapsed and I need to do it over. But as I said I am not jeep knowledgeable. I talked to a Lift company and he said 2.5" was the biggest I could go. But online I have found lifts at the 4" size. Is there a lot of mod to do to go to that? guys at work suggested going to a 2.5" spring instead of the 2" that go on this year. But I don't know how much extra work/cash this would cost. To just re-do my 2.5 I believe I just need the kit w/shocks and a bushing kit and pitman arm. anything else? can I just add a 1" body kit on top of this. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 73CJ5 - pretty much the same animal as yours. I have run 2.5" for many years with a 1/2" to 1" longer shackles. I have the older Con-Ferr shackles which have a welded brace between the two sides. You should be able to run 33 inch tires with this set-up. I also have added a 1" body lift with new bushings and bolts.

Be sure to let the suspension hang while the frame is supported with jack stands. it would be wise to replace the brake hoses with some extra length and inspect the driveshaft for proper alignment.

I would suggest running a Rancho RS5000 shock or similar. I have found that the super duty nitrogen off-road truck shocks are much too stiff for a CJ.

Also, carefully inspect the steering box and frame mount. I broke mine once. They develop cracks, especially with larger tires and springs.

Id just go 4" and be done with it. Its really not all that high and clears 33s nicely.

Lots of ways to get lift.

I had 4" Trailmaster (:dung:) the spring rate was 550#/inch. Way to hard the axles did not move. Broke the frame a 3 different spring mounts. I'm on a new frame now. Stock spring rate is in the 200-230#/inch. When you go tall you will need sway bars for the highway

Consider a CV rear drive shaft. I used to eat U joints even with equal angles.

I like my OME 2-1/2" YJ springs. :D

Stock springs $$ free
Spring over
It will not be as stiff as a ride as the lift springs and good articulation

Springs are the cheapest part of a SOA. That's just the start of it if you're going to do it right......

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks