1974 CJ5 2.0 Lift. Upgrade Pitman Arm

1974 CJ5 2.0 Lift. Upgrade Pitman Arm

jrozanc007

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5
In the process of rebuilding a 1974 CJ5 4.2L from the ground up. I added a 2" lift. I understand higher lifts require a dropped pitman, wondering if a 2" lift also does.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I personally don't think a 2" lift will really affect it that much. If it was a 4" I would suggest moving the tie rod tapers to the other side since the dropped pittman arm will affect the steering geometry the way I see it.

Welcome to the forum.

You won't need a dropped Pitman arm with a 2" lift. I'm running a 2.5" BDS lift on my 76 CJ5 without one. I don't think there is any aftermarket supplier for a dropped Pitman arm less than 4". Use the stock one.

Another thing to consider, and your CJ5 may be different: I had to install 6* shims in the front to get rid of steering wander. Get the vehicle to an alignment shop and have the caster checked.

I have a 2 1/2" lift, and installed a dropped pitman arm from Morris. It is shown as suitable for 2 1/2" to 4" lifts. The tie rod is not perfectly parallel with the drag link. It steers great, but I agree with Hack, it probably makes no worth while difference until you are in the 4" neighborhood.

Seriously: Once you get it installed, take it to an alignment shop (one that knows how to do vehicles with solid axles), and get the caster checked. If you are under 5* positive, you quite likely will have a Jeep that will want to steer on it's own. Mine was 0*-.5* negative caster. It would dart all over the road at speeds above 30 mph. And when you least expected it to....

Just put the old U-bolts on it (if they are re-usable) until you get it checked. If you need to add shims (or don't) put new U-bolts on. You want NEW U-bolts. Use only steel shims. I got mine from WFO Concepts.

My CJ5 tracks fine at 60 - 65 mph. Haven't went any faster than that. Yet...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks