Build Thread 1972 CJ 5 restore

gmoney

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 cj 5
amc 401 v8
automatic transmission
Have had this 1972 cj 5 for a long time. Has an AMC 401 v8 in it. It has an automatic transmission.
needs some work
-needs new radiator
-has a high-speed wobble in the front (what causes this wobble?)
-possibly needs new front axel?
-needs new front shocks
-Has drum brakes (front and back) would like to convert to disc brakes
-has dead spots in the flywheel
-needs some carb work
I'm looking for help to make sure I get the right parts. Looking for some tips and tricks. I will start by replacing the radiator. Does anybody know what exact part number I would need for the radiator?

Hoping to finish by the end of May to early June.

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 18
-has a high-speed wobble in the front (what causes this wobble?)

The high speed wobble us probably ball joints on the axle knuckles.

-Has drum brakes (front and back) would like to convert to disc brakes.

I did the front disc conversion on my '73 that had drums. Bought a second complete set of axles to do the swap. I also converted my rig to power brakes recently (but I also now have full widths)(you can see this stuff on my build thread) (
https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/73-cj-everything-build-27401/)

I'm looking for help to make sure I get the right parts. Looking for some tips and tricks. I will start by replacing the radiator. Does anybody know what exact part number I would need for the radiator?

Buy an aftermarket radiator. I bought one from eBay that is a 3 core aluminum rad. It works fantastic. Just be sure it is for a CJ5 and that the inlet and outlets are in the correct position. Some fabrication was needed for install. (I believe I posted photos of this on my build thread too).

Good luck. Take lots of pics and upload them with updates on your progress.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks