1969 cj-5

Jarred

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1969 cj-5
I recently purchased a 1969 CJ5, stock v-6, half cab. I would like to:

1. Update the steering system.
2. Update the brake system, including calipers.
3. Replace the wiring, gauges, and switches.
4. 2.5" - 4" suspension lift.

Can you please lend me your advice, experience, and wisdom?

Thank You

That's a pretty tall order! I suggest you break it down to more specific modifications or repairs and post in appropriate catagories.

There are a million answers, and all depend on what YOU want to do with your Jeep...

A few of these things I've been looking into myself, so I'll just give you some VERY general ideas here to start with...

1) Steering: Plenty of good posts on here for this topic... In short if you want power steering, find one from a S-10: column and power steering box will have close to the same factory ratio... Camero's work, but they have a much longer ratio (i think). As far as the upgrade itself, search "Power steering upgrade" on forum search, i think you'll be pleased with the info you find.

2) I've been looking into disc front drum rear. Plenty of sites selling kits, but cheaper to try to find a Jeep wrecker (J&W by me in Cal, you not sure? ) and find one that had the set-up already, then you buy the new parts like a disc and pads etc... Again though the brakes you have can be rebuilt with new parts, calipers, pads etc and these are so light that drum will "work" I plan on towing and long down / up grades in mountains, so I'm going to disc for pure peace of mind... Someone might know of some better doner vehicles here too...

3) Painless wiring kits. You can find these at quadratec, summit, etc online. Or if your comfortable, like me, with spending countless hours re-wiring and running through heat shield / conduit, go for it :cool:
Those painless kits look pretty awesome though...

4) Lifts are a big deal. Again what do you want it for? Looks? Clearance? etc... Also what tires are you planning to run (Size) If 33's a 2-1/2" lift and 1" body lift (maybe a 1" trans-drop to help drive shaft angles) may work out good, but you still might have to adjust angles of drivelines and even replace them? 4" er's for sure mod required... Stay away from huge body lifts and shackle lifts, as these tend to be "dangerous" in the way of handling...

All in all Sasquach was right above: Do a little research, fill out your profile info for your vehicle, then split these into individual topics in their thread locations... For instance, the lift portion in this: suspension and steering" category, etc.. You'll be supprised how much info you'll get that way, and how helpful and knowledgeable these folks here are...

I was... :cool:

Cheers Man, :chug: ~ JR

There are a million answers, and all depend on what YOU want to do with your Jeep...

1) Steering: Plenty of good posts on here for this topic...
Keep in mind this is a 69 which mounts the steering box differently. And has a V6. Google it there are some good articles on the swap.

2) I've been looking into disc front drum rear.
Keep in mind you have a Dana 27 front axle. You might want to swap in a Dana 30 with discs already. 76 and up. Pay attention to the width. Gonna need to do a swap with the master cylinder.

11" drums are an easy swap for the rear. A little more work is discs on the rear. You won't be sorry.

3) Painless wiring kits. Way over priced for what you get and what you need. Check out Waytek for all the parts needed.

4) Lifts are a big deal. 4" er's for sure mod required...

Now lets go for them one at a time. :)

Now lets go for them one at a time. :)

All great points 73CJ! :notworthy: I was rushing... lol And thinking of my '74

~ :chug: JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks