Build Thread 1951 CJ3A rebirth

Build Thread 1951 CJ3A rebirth

AussieCJ3A

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'51 CJ3A, L137 Go Devil, T90, D18, D25, D41
So I bought this CJ3a off the internet from a bloke who was claiming it was fully restored .. this bloke was getting on in years so I didn't expect too much. I knew it would have issues and problems that I'd have to sort.
Problems I was informed off .. slight oil leak rear main gearbox seal.
Problems I found.. leaked oil from front gearbox seal and rear..none of the gearbox bolts were tight, sump drips oil, pill bottle used as brake fluid resovoure, alternator has packed it in ..so it runs outa juice, steering needs slight adjustment.
The good .. the old bloke didn't do the engine a shop did and it runs great, body is straight and no rust (hate the paint job)
Spares he gave me a big pile of spares

So to the cunning plan
Stage 1 ... sort out the oil leaks. There's a lot of them
Stage 2 ... electrical it needs a whole rewire plus a few bits replaced
Stage 3 ... paint job unsure of I want to go OLive or a Desert scheme to it
Stage 4 ... make it look like a M38.. handles, different canopy, headlight protectors, extended fuel spout, non directional tyres, etc

Now who wants to see .. cover your eyes it's horrendous

Now who wants to see .. cover your eyes it's horrendous

Duhhhhhh..... WE ALL DO!!!!!! C'mon, give em up..... let's see the pics.... :chug:

Duhhhhhh..... WE ALL DO!!!!!! C'mon, give em up..... let's see the pics.... :chug:

I'm thinking the Aussie thinks we can't handle it. :)

I'm thinking the Aussie thinks we can't handle it. :)

Even if we can't, I wanna see em...... LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It came with a few boxes of parts

That centre cover is from an MB not a cj so it's not much use to me
Pintail hooks ..odd body hooks.. gaskets .. oil filture canisters another water pump .. whole front grill assemble another tailgate .. side spare holder .. extra bits and pieces
Making a dent in some parts already ..
trying to decide how and what to fit as I go through .. I have a winch which will fit nicely in the bumper section without blocking too much of the radiator airflow

IMG_0015.jpg

Today I've looked at this picture ..over and over again ..
IMG_0022.jpg

Here's a few tips for the spicer 18 transfer case.
After removing the speedo housing stick the yoke back on the shaft and the washer and lock nut ..then use the yoke as a slide hammer to pull the forcing cone out of the case housing.
If your trying to do what I'm doing which is leaving the gearbox and case still bolted in place .. you can sneak a pair of circlip pliers up into the case through the bottom panel and push the circlip off the shaft allowing the shaft to be pulled through the back of the case. Take care catching the gears and thrust washer.
Next is to undo the front drive shaft off the transfer case and remove the locknut, washer and yoke off the front of the case. The book advises to use a rawhide hammer to then drive the front shaft out. The case still attached makes this hard so I've got a hardwood dowel to use as a punch to knock the front oil seal out and the shaft with it as well.

YOU'RE GONNA REPAINT THAT??? Aw, c'mon man - live a little Looks like a Philippines taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your caution sign. :chug:

People can't miss that on the road

Ps those white walls ..aren't white walls ..it's a white rubber strip which is pinched between tyre and the rim
And if you're old like me, those were sold widely to people that wanted white walls. Probably fetch a few bucks for them to someone looking to revisit the past...

YOU'RE GONNA REPAINT THAT??? Aw, c'mon man - live a little Looks like a Philippines taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah after it's running and registered that is lol

I like your caution sign. :chug:

Yeah I have to have that us Aussies drive on the left side of the road

And if you're old like me, those were sold widely to people that wanted white walls. Probably fetch a few bucks for them to someone looking to revisit the past...

Im thinking of keeping the white wall look .. getting some non directional standard military tyres should look cool ... but then again ..they might be pulled off and damaged so might sell them ..unsure yet

Some work has progressed this weekend.
Dismantled the rest of the transfer case .. it's got some badly worn parts.

Bearings .. the sideways play in one of the roller bearings was that large that it dismantled itself while checking the play ... internal intermediate shaft .. pitted worn and one has grabbed on the end of the cage.

Intermediate shaft ... pitted badly and it's got at least 30 thou wear groves in each end .while driving it out fluffy metal popped out with the shaft.

Front output shaft .. worn badly .. several groves worn in the end of it

Front yoke .. badly worn as well. Previous owner found the worn yoke so polished it and fitted an oversized oil seal which did stop the leaks but isn't right.

Emails have been sent .. I'm trying to get a whole master rebuild kit for the spicer 18 transfer case, new yoke and new output shaft.
The rebuild kit includes, gaskets, new intermediate shaft, oil seals, bearings, felt seals, and small part kits (who knows what's in the parts kit, guess I'll find out)

Unfortunately the postage cost and time is an issue for me as I'm in Australia and the company's in the states so I'll see how much and how long this will take.

While waiting for these parts I'm going to polish everything and repaint the housings

Pictures will be put up as progress is made on the reassemble stage
Plus images of damaged parts

Shouldn't take to long on parts. They don't come by mule or even slow boat anymore, even over there down under on the other side of the world they put them on that big jet airliner. Expensive yes :)

Shouldn't take to long on parts. They don't come by mule or even slow boat anymore, even over there down under on the other side of the world they put them on that big jet airliner. Expensive yes :)

I want some heavily modified cj to drive them across the ocean too me .. postage times could be 6 days to 6 weeks depending who wants yo hang up the process

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks