Build Thread 194? Bantam trailer build

Build Thread 194? Bantam trailer build
Another one of my projects that was moved to the back burner. Yes I still have it and its come in handy a few times but its really time to clean it up and use it more often. Covid ruined alot of camping as well as moving twice last Summer. With that all behind me heres how she sits now.

0108221618.jpg

Now its in the garage so maybe I can get something done with it. I did some assembly of the solar panels a bit yesterday. They finally got unboxed. 😁

0109221846.jpg

I don't know why but i'm not seeing your pictures. :wtf:

Hopefully I can get my solar in , tires on and painted this time around. Pulled it out of the corner and emptied it all out since it became a catch all there for awhile. Day one pretty much consists of liberal doses of PBblaster everywhere. 0406231356.jpg

The landing gear up front is rusted fast. There is a site dedicated to these trailers that has all sorts of replacement parts but its out of the budget right now until work picks up again.

I'll unbolt and replace all the reflectors , clean and repaint the whole thing to match my Cj then add in all the camping gear. Already got the wheels and tires to match my Jeep.

0404231636.jpg

Sweet little trailer. Great addition for camping. I also added a solar setup with extra battery and charging ports on mine also. Works great for running the 12V fridge, charging phones, etc at the camp site.

Sweet little trailer. Great addition for camping. I also added a solar setup with extra battery and charging ports on mine also. Works great for running the 12V fridge, charging phones, etc at the camp site.
Yeah I like your setup as well. I watched John Scherb design and fabricate those trailers before he sold the rights to Dinoot. Hes done some awesome projects. How do you pack and keep your solar panels safe? I have ideas but would love to see something thats proven to work. 👍🏻

My battery and charge controller are mounted inside the tongue box, The charge controller also has two USB ports for charging electronics. Then the controller also has separate connections for the battery (can charge or draw from) as well as the load (fridge or homemade cable with 12V socket in my case). So I have both USBs and a standard 12V socket to connect stuff to. This charge controller is a Dokio 20A unit. My panels are a foldable and flexible type built into their own carry case. They are not mounted. I simply carry them packed somewhere folded up and then unfold and set them out when in use and plug in the cable. Here's the panel assembly folded closed, partially open, then fully opened up. You can see that when closed it is like a large document pack (architect might have drawings in it) with a carry handle and a side pocket for any plug adaptors needed. This is the Dokio model FFSP-320M. The case is padded. The panels are slightly flexible (no stiff glass to break). The case velcros shut when folded up. So I just pack this in the trailer and then pull it out and unfold it and plug the cable into the controller inside the tongue box (cable comes out a hole in the bottom of the box).

Folded_Closed.jpg Partially_Open.jpg Fully_Open.jpg

So with a cable to the controller, this can charge my trailer battery and other electronics, and run my fridge in the trailer. But when I don't have the trailer with me, I also made a cable that allows me to plug this into the 7-pin trailer connector directly on the Jeep as well. Since I have a dual battery setup on the Jeep, the aux power connection in that 7-pin plug comes from my secondary battery. So with the trailer plugged in, I can draw power from the secondary battery in the Jeep or use the trailer battery. But without the trailer, I can still access aux power from the Jeep's secondary battery and connect the solar panel into it to charge that secondary Jeep battery as well. My 2500 watt inverter lives in the Jeep, not the trailer. Then plus the OBA, sound system, and lights also run from that secondary battery in the Jeep. So having the ability to use the solar panel directly attached to the Jeep without the trailer is a plus. And I didn't want to have to pop the hood just to connect the solar panel to the battery. When camping, I set the tent up behind the Jeep. I have a grill that connects into the receiver hitch, a trasharoo on the spare tire, a storage drawer now that pulls out the back, and my rotopax water can on the spare tire carrier. So plugging into the trailer plug in the back of the Jeep is perfect since that's where all the camping "action" is anyway. A longer USB cable allows my phone to be in the tent with me. A short cord and I can plug in my tent fan. I can connect my lantern for use or recharging. So the trailer comes on longer campouts when I need more stuff and the fridge. But for 1-3 nights only, no trailer. But I do still bring the solar panel in the Jeep. That's why I chose not to permanently mount it anywhere.

Thanks for taking the time for the write up. That is a sweet solar set up there. Probably cost a little more than my Harbor Frieght set up. 😁 Love the dual battery set up in the Jeep as well. Another thing for the wish list. I better get some OT back at work cause this is starting to add up. Again thanks for the great post and Im sure Ill revisit it again when I het further along.

As for work on the trailer thatll start tomorrow. Vickis birthday was the end of February and we always have a big party were all the family comes down. This year half the family was sick at that time so we're all gonna have a very Good Friday!

Happy Easter everyone

TSB8C you sure get a lot packed into your Jeep. I’m gathering camping gear now for a couple of weeks trip, 4 wheeling and camping up in the NC Smokies area. Luckily I have a good buddy up there, so if it gets pretty rainy we can always go back to his place and dry out. I would really like to get a duel battery set up for a refrigerator. A trailer would be nice also.

Yea, I probably take too much stuff when camping. I follow the "better to have it and not need it vs. need it and do without" mentality. A fridge, chargers, lanterns, chairs, grill, cot, sleeping bag, tools, solar panels, awning, pop-up privy, and portable toilet. That's all when the wife is with me for a few days. A one or two night deer hunt alone or with one of my sons and the list gets a lot shorter. Tent and sleeping bag on the ground, headlamp, roll of toilet paper, cooler in the back seat.

Been many years since I've been to NC. I have some distant family there and visited about 15 years ago. Love the area. Flew in and rented a Jeep. Found out real quick I prefer my own rather than renting someone else's. But it was still a blast.

Yeah always good to have your core needs taken care of. I remember a few decades ago a friend of my parents visiting who did some world traveling and said at the time bring half the clothing you think you need and double the cash. Also a man without a passport is a man without a country. In other words keep your hands on that.

Yea, I probably take too much stuff when camping. I follow the "better to have it and not need it vs. need it and do without" mentality. A fridge, chargers, lanterns, chairs, grill, cot, sleeping bag, tools, solar panels, awning, pop-up privy, and portable toilet. That's all when the wife is with me for a few days. A one or two night deer hunt alone or with one of my sons and the list gets a lot shorter. Tent and sleeping bag on the ground, headlamp, roll of toilet paper, cooler in the back seat.

Been many years since I've been to NC. I have some distant family there and visited about 15 years ago. Love the area. Flew in and rented a Jeep. Found out real quick I prefer my own rather than renting someone else's. But it was still a blast.
What kind of battery did you end up using for yours? And do you just put a battery tender on when not in use?

The trailer has an Optima yellow top battery. I don't have any battery tender or other trickle charger on it. It just sits when not in use and I've never had any issue yet.

I get used car batteries from a buddy and if we loose electricity during hurricane season, use them to run 12V fans. I charge them up and if the battery is in good condition they will start a car up 9 - 12 months later.

I get used car batteries from a buddy and if we loose electricity during hurricane season, use them to run 12V fans. I charge them up and if the battery is in good condition they will start a car up 9 - 12 months later.
Yea. You think about batteries at the auto parts store. They are charged and sitting on the shelf for potentially months before someone buys them, and they work when you get it home and install it.

Spent the better part of the night trying to disassemble some things on the trailer. Thought Id have a bit more to share but this thing is kicking my butt. Half deteriorated nuts and bolts rusted fast will do that to you. Started with removing the 6 reflectors. Got 1. 🥴 Gonna have to get the drill and cut off wheels out this week.

I was hoping to clean them up and reuse them but they are :dung:. Looked up some new ones on the Army Jeep site but with no OT $80 and shipping isnt feasible for reflectors right now

https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-2463-red-reflector-with-housing-guide-a2-marked-506101.aspx

0430231347.jpg0430231347a.jpg
After some searching around I found these that I can use.

Peterson Low-Profile Oval Trailer Reflector - Aluminum Bezel - Red Peterson Trailer Lights B472R
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Li...zICI9hMuyg2O1iPlOnAYOsWGnBNi5TvhoC1fgQAvD_BwE

Then I went after the trailer fenders. Got 1 out of 2. Still have 1/2 the bolts to cut/drill in the other. Now I can buy my sandpaper , cut off wheels etc. Im hoping to start cleaning it up this week. Its rusty but really solid.

0430231325.jpg

The tires that are on it are coming apart just sitting there. I believe I got all the mileage these had left in them for sure. 😁

0430231424.jpg

Was cutting off some more rusted bolts today and ran across something interesting. Looks like the original paint color of my trailer was blue. 🤔 It looked a little to light for the Air Force blue under the reflectors but then around the outside looked right. Wish this thing had a title and vin plate.

0503231745.jpg

Been a bit but Ive made some progress. Got it sanded down good enough for paint to adhere. Originally I was going to sandblast it but my compressor doesnt seem to have enough Oomph so we did the best we could.

0517231821.jpg

Worst part of this has been cutting and drilling bolts everywhere. Still have a couple to go.

0517231821a.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks