1 ton pitman arm

gert

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 1942 Willys slat grill
Hey guys I'm trying to finish up my 1 ton high steer and didn't think about needing a pitman arm to match and the stock is to puny to team to fit, anybody have a part number or a link to where I can get one that fits the Saginaw power steering box? Also if your narrowing your own Dana 44 close to stock width don't waste money on the full kit with tubing I used less than 5 feet of tubing myself so I saved almost $100 from the cheapest kit online 050f7671494f1ede6b89f54f910316eb.jpgd9cda3441c96c1a84e016e4d7afc7867.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take it your not going hydro assist.
IIRC I reamed out a J-20 arm.

I take it your not going hydro assist.
IIRC I reamed out a J-20 arm.

Not yet, I didn't think I need it rolling on 35s, did you go hydro on yours? I am thinking about tapping my box for a rock ram later if I think I need it

Well i dont think I cant beat the price on a YJ pitman arm and a taper insert, a lot beefier than a CJ and a J10/Wagoneer arm from the looks of the pics. all in for $28 plus shipping Im down. I checked with Orielly auto and they have a neat little feature now that shows you the applicable vehicles your part fits, so I was able to quickly cross reference that a wagoneer box interchanges with a YJ steering box which bolts right in place of a CJ box win win win

Crown Pitman Arm for LHD with Power Steering
Tapered Steering Knuckle Insert - RuffStuff Specialties
MasterPro Power Steering 502-0103 - Power Steering Gear | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Yes, running hydro steering on my 79 with 39.5.
I wouldn't recommend a crown pitman arm I know a guy that broke one.
If you want a yj arm you should be able to find a used original on dabay.

Yes, running hydro steering on my 79 with 39.5.
I wouldn't recommend a crown pitman arm I know a guy that broke one.
If you want a yj arm you should be able to find a used original on dabay.

Wow I have it in my check out box and typing my info in now..... scary to have steering parts fail. I will look on fleebay see if something pops up

Remember the Pitman arm coming off the sector shaft needs to be a near 1:1 ratio as compared to your high steer arm length...........too short and the steering gear / drag link will run out of travel before the spindles hit the stops............

You did not mention if you needed a dropped or flat arm? I like this flat arm from Parts Mike , plenty of beef and It's blank at one end to allow the builder to choose length by either reaming the hole or adding a tapered sleeve..........a good steering gear brace should also be added.

1PM536FPA PITMAN ARM - Flat undrilled - 5.25" - 7"

Remember the Pitman arm coming off the sector shaft needs to be a near 1:1 ratio as compared to your high steer arm length...........too short and the steering gear / drag link will run out of travel before the spindles hit the stops............

You did not mention if you needed a dropped or flat arm? I like this flat arm from Parts Mike , plenty of beef and It's blank at one end to allow the builder to choose length by either reaming the hole or adding a tapered sleeve..........a good steering gear brace should also be added.

1PM536FPA PITMAN ARM - Flat undrilled - 5.25" - 7"

Very valid points tarry,

My stock CJ arm is 6.75 long and my steer arms are 7.75 long, I just had to know so I drilled the pitman arm out enough to get the tierod to bolt to it and I turned it lock to lock to verify what I have.... I'm looking pretty good I think, I hit the axle stops on both sides

I think I could use either a flat or a slightly dropped pitman arm, with the dropped arm and a tapered bushing I can flip the tie rod on top, I think my angles will be better flippedf7f71d043d77ada7138ba3ac38b6745a.jpgadad2d90e3960b6573c083bcc3e59f29.jpge7bb5a60864e643b2b3e5555149907ff.jpga304eb3093a16e683aa1942362793e51.jpg

As long as you're hitting the axle stops........that's what ya want vs having the gearbox stop the travel.........spring over and shackle reversal can add some funny activities like , anti-dive / axle wrap & bump steer to the front end........especially with disc brakes as you have.............keeping the Drag Link height at near level to the tie rod as it swings through it's arc both up / down and from left to right is the first step.............

I assume your suspension looking at how flat the springs are is now at full bump right now? do you have any bump stops?

Looks Good.........Nice Job!

As long as you're hitting the axle stops........that's what ya want vs having the gearbox stop the travel.........spring over and shackle reversal can add some funny activities like , anti-dive / axle wrap & bump steer to the front end........especially with disc brakes as you have.............keeping the Drag Link height at near level to the tie rod as it swings through it's arc both up / down and from left to right is the first step.............

I assume your suspension looking at how flat the springs are is now at full bump right now? do you have any bump stops?

Looks Good.........Nice Job!

YJ leaf springs holding the weight of the Jeep up, I have the factory bump stops but I haven't got to the point that I'm ready to measure for shocks or bump stops yet, I was going to wait til it's on all 4 tires and use a fork lift to flex it out and fab/buy what I need

I got the YJ pitman arm in and drilled today, I hope to have it installed and see what my steering looks like, if this dosent work I will save my pennies for the PartsMike pitman arm. I do love Parts Mike parts

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks