KRUPP

Jeeper
Gold Supporter
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo
258 w/Howell e.f.i., HEI Ign, Dana 44 Front w/Detroit, Dana 44 Rear w/Detroit
Picked up this old winch from the boneyard the other day. Never knew it was there. It has been sitting under a pile of other parts for probably 25 years.
Needs a full restoration. Missing one of the tie-rods too.
Question is, is it worth restoring? I don't believe Warn makes these anymore and parts availability is probably Limited.

What say you guys?

Old Warn MX8000.jpg

If it's been sitting for 25 years might only be parts. If it was an 8274 I'd say ya

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
I got an 8274 for free and cost me almost 700 getting fixed. If it wasn't for a new one costing 3k I never would have spent the money on it

I got an 8274 for free and cost me almost 700 getting fixed. If it wasn't for a new one costing 3k I never would have spent the money on it

Warn loves the 8274 so much they still support them going wayyyy back. It's such a great winch. I got one years ago, rebuilt it and it has never let me down.
I looked for parts for the MX8000 vs the M8000 and they seem to be the same except for the frame. Found a 2008 ad for a working MX8000 d1 for $100. (Link)-> Warn mx 8000 D1 winch -<

CJ, I saw that same advertisement from 2008 in the little bit of research I've done.

Had an 8274 model years ago as well. Guy who owned the 4x4 shop I worked for gave it to me. I think I sold it to a friend for about $100 - beer money back in college.

I'll try contacting the Warn Industries guys Monday for parts availability and prices, but I'm not sure it's gonna be worth restoring this one.

Warn loves the 8274 so much they still support them going wayyyy back. It's such a great winch. I got one years ago, rebuilt it and it has never let me down.
I looked for parts for the MX8000 vs the M8000 and they seem to be the same except for the frame. Found a 2008 ad for a working MX8000 d1 for $100. (Link)-> Warn mx 8000 D1 winch -<
The 8274 is indeed one of the best, if not thee best, winches ever made. Bolt the 9.5 XP motor and they are even better. I'm another that got a free one and spent $700 building it but there isn't ANYTHING for $700 that will come close to the same performance. I did use the 9.5 XP motor and the solid state contactor for a Zeon 12.

Back to the original post. Did you hook up a battery to it and see if it still works? If it doesn't need a bunch of new parts, just clean and lube it-and use it. One could just make a new tie rod. Still likely better than any of the chinese :dung: that is flooding the market.

It would appear that Warn supplies a few parts for this winch. There are motors available and I can use solenoids from different units as well. It may not need much other than that.
I may just dig into it a bit this weekend and see what it needs. I'll clean it up a bit and jump the solenoid to see if it runs. It doesn't have a controller.
Thanks Gents.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks