New Tires for my CJ?

New Tires for my CJ?
Lets say you don't have to drive your jeep everyday, so tread wear is not a factor, and you were not going rock crawling, and you wanted semi good on road characteristics, and it needed to be in the 33,34,35 height department, what would be your suggestion?

Prolly BFG AT's

I've been happy with the Trxus mt, and Mickey Thompson mtz's.
I have a couple buddies running the new BFG km2's that like them real well.
They all work well on & off road.

How about 31s that look cool, work decent off road, but are actually quiet enough that you can actually hear the radio when driving on the highway?

My current tires just absolutely howl if you get over 30!

I know, I know...just turn the radio up LOUDER!! :laugh:

I have 12.50 33s that came on it. They are so dry rotten, you can see the air inside. I ordered a Rubicon Express 4.5 spring kit. They are 2 weeks behind on orders, so I have a little time to figure out wheel/tire combo. I like the Pro Comp Extreme A/T in 315/75 16. You guys know what works, so I am all ears.

I had 33 BFG M/T's on my old Jeep, and there was virtually no road noise. I can only assume that the km2's are similar, but i know they are pricey. The Pro Comp M/T's are similar in tread design. If you hit any mud, you will not want the A/T's. It only takes a small puddle, and a loss of momentum for the A/T's to get you stuck, plus the M/T's just look better. Happy Hunting:chug:

How about 31s that look cool, work decent off road, but are actually quiet enough that you can actually hear the radio when driving on the highway?

My current tires just absolutely howl if you get over 30!

I know, I know...just turn the radio up LOUDER!! :laugh:

Radio, what radio? I gave up on radio's years ago. With mud tires and no top they are a waste of money, just waiting for someone to steal them.

I am pretty sure I am going with the PRO COMP series 152 steel wheels. I like the fact they are made in the USA.

Had 37" toyo mt's on my f250 for over 60k miles they were down to about a half inch of tread when I got rid of it back in Jan

Trying to find a set of tire for my jeep but not sure who's tire I'm going with since it's so hard to find 42s right now

Still looking.............

I bought a used set of 33x12.5x15 Maxxis buck shot mudders, I love them on the trails but found when I am on the pavement in the rain they tend to not be safe. This is not our daily driver so its not as bad for us, if your looking for tires on a daily driver, I would stay with a radial they last longer.

How about the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2? Anyone running this tire?

Put on a set of the BFG M/T KM2's a few months ago. Only a few hundred miles of highway and about the same on rocky backroads, all dry, so they really haven't been tested yet. They are a lot quieter and much better behaved on the highway than the old BFG M/T.

have a set of teh km2s, love them, good on and off road, on rocks in snow have wheeled them on all types of terrain and give them a very passible grade.

have a set of teh km2s, love them, good on and off road, on rocks in snow have wheeled them on all types of terrain and give them a very passible grade.

2nd BajaEdition comments. I have a friend who bought a set in the fall last year and LOVE'S them also, great in all conditions.

I work in wholesale tires and we sell a ton of BFG ats and km2s. We also have the new General Grabber Red letter mud tire. Saw it in use in the muck on a 2500 ram. they look pretty good performed well and $ wasnt too bad on them. nitto Mud grappler and terra grappler are also popular choices. the new Trail grappler sell like hotcakes. 16" and up sized tho.
photo0606.jpg

Looks like i'm sold on the BFG M/T KM2.
Now, what size?
My "84 CJ7 has not been lifted.
When i buy the tires i'm getting new spring bushings,& maybe extend the shackles a 1/2 inch or so, not much i don't want a monster jeep just a bit more.
So, how big can i go without suffering my stock drivetrain?
I realize that bigger means less power out of the 258.
The old gal is not my daily driver, & i drive 70% on pavement, but when i get in the mountains i want it all.
Where's the happy medium?

Ok, i've done more reading,& guess i shouldn't go over 31"s with what i have.
Thanks, Johnny

Last edited:
Hey Jet, I would go with the 31's and if you need to tweek the lift a bit to make it work so be it. I just went 31at's to 32 km2 but more because the lift I inherited from PO made 31's look too small. The amount of work to undo the slightly more lift than I really wanted was easy satisfied by putting bigger tires under it. :D

I too will need new tires shortly. I'm currently running 33X12.5 15s. What are the pros and cons of a 12.5 wide tire compared to a 10.5 in wide tire?

Thanks Sasquatch. That's what i'm looking for. :chug:

Dwyant, I'd bet the 12.5s work better in sand, maybe a softer ride over the rocks.
I'm sure you'll get better ideas for other Jeepers.
Some day i'll get up to 33s.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks