I bought a Harley Davidson

I bought a Harley Davidson

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
Harley-Electra-Glide-web_zps18004add.jpg
I've always wanted a big full dress Harley. At the end of this month I am going back to Minnesota and when I was checking flights I decided I didn't want the hassles of flying. Instead I got a 2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide.

I'm excited about my trip. It is 2430 miles round trip and I'll be in the saddle 39 hours before I get back home.

Congratulations Dave, fine looking bike. Enjoy your trip and be save.

I own a 76 Shovelhead.

still got the crotch rocket??

shall we call you Harley Dave?:D

that is a very nice ride.:notworthy:

Last edited:
Yes, I still have the Hayabusa. It's fun for the mountain roads around here but I wouldn't want to take it to Minnesota. The Harley will be nice for that.

God I love this bike. I'm riding it as much as I can. It's takes a lot of getting used to. Going from a Hayabusa to an Electra Glide is a big change.

When I was on the Busa I'd wave to the Harley riders and they would ignore me as if they were thinking 'I don't have anything in common with you'. I was left thinking they were all jerks and stopped waving to the Harley riders. Now I'm on the Harley and wave to a sport bike rider and he ignores me. I'm thinking "Hey, I'm one of you . . . ya JERK!"

This reminds me of the Jeep wave. People in jeeps often wave at each other. But if you are in a CJ and wave to someone in a new JK they ignore you as if they are thinking 'I don't have anything in common with you'. I don't wave at JK's any more.

The Harley controls take getting used to. Separate turn signal switches on each handlebar. I find the right turn signal doesn't do a good job of starting the engine. And the left isn't loud enough to get someone out of the way when he pulls out in front of me.
Plus I have a heel shifter. Instead of pushing up on the shift lever with my toe I can press down with my heel on the heel shifter. I've never had a cycle like that but I like it.

Fun when you get used to it. I like a heel-shifter...

Rode... a custom Harley. My old man builds 'em. Sweet little ride we called "Brass Monkey". He just up & sold her one day... still pissed.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Tapatalk

he7uvene.jpg
Still have my Sportster...

That's the "Iron Maiden".

Last edited:
he7uvene.jpg

I like that. Hood ornament and all.

Thanx. Sweet old Ironhead. She's a '77. Think I listed her on my stats incorrectly as a '79...

Yeah. Picked up the Flying Lady at a swap meet. Just had to have her when I saw her...

uny7a2ad.jpg
Me on Iron Maiden
Yep. That's a Sportster...

Last edited:
I just got back from Fairbault Minnesota. I rode my Harley there from my home in Durango Colorado to attend my son's wedding.

It was 2867 miles round trip.
In total I spent 51 hours in the saddle.
That's an average of 56 MPH.

It took longer than planned. Why? Because on the way out there, I decided not to take the Interstate across Nebraska. That's a boring state and I enjoyed the smaller highways a lot more than the interstate that always looks the same.

I had perfect weather on the way out there. I didn't have such luck on the way back. I knew thunderstorms were on the way. I spent a lot of time checking the weather forecasts for the best route. I found out that if I first headed south I could delay the storms but then I would hit them in Nebraska or Kansas. I then decided to head due west right into the storms. If I could make it half way through South Dakota the next day would be nice.

I put on my rain gear and left in the rain. On the interstate I could see a big storm ahead of me with lots of lightning. I headed strait into it. After 3 hours it stopped raining. After I dried off I saw another storm in front of me. My destination was southwest so I decided this was a good time to head south to avoid the storm. I took to the smaller highways.

I got wet a lot that day but I also think I did a good job of avoiding the storms. I could often see the storms and avoid them. Once it starts raining you can't see the clouds or what way to get out of the storm. At one time I headed north, the exact wrong direction, but it was away from the storm I could see.

You can see my trip was much longer than if I was taking a car and didn't care about the rain.

Even with all the rain I had a great time. Oh and the wedding was perfect.

Sounds like an EPIC adventure, Dave. How long were you gone? Rain hurts like hell. Guess you have some really good rain-gear to be weathering that kinda storm:) Glad you made it back safely...

still got the crotch rocket??

shall we call you Harley Dave?:D

that is a very nice ride.:notworthy:

You've got your Sportbike name. Now you need a real biker name... How about RainMan;)

Sounds like an EPIC adventure, Dave. How long were you gone? Rain hurts like hell. Guess you have some really good rain-gear to be weathering that kinda storm:) Glad you made it back safely...
I was gone 7 days.

As I was approaching Cheyenne WY I passed a semi going the wrong way on the Interstate at about 11 pm. Someone must have called 911 about it because I saw a cop going that way a little later.
Scary but I hope it turned out ok. I didn't hear anything on the news.

I was gone 7 days.

As I was approaching Cheyenne WY I passed a semi going the wrong way on the Interstate at about 11 pm. Someone must have called 911 about it because I saw a cop going that way a little later.
Scary but I hope it turned out ok. I didn't hear anything on the news.

Glad you were paying attention. Everything's a little scarier when there's nothing between you & the asphalt...

Btw, how's Koda like riding "bitch" , behind you on that Dresser?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom