Help gas tank filler hose for a 1977 CJ 5

MTS # CJFH-2 (if you have the standard 15 gallon tank:
Fuel Filler Hose

And here's the vent hose:
Vent Hose Link

They also have a kit with hoses, clamps, and mounts:
Fuel Inlet/Vent Kit

Thanks for your rapid response. I can"t locate the original parts at the moment and I know that these are what the catalog calls for. These however are not the parts that I took off the vehicle. When I find the photos I will post them. I understand that in 1977 there were some oddball parts. This year's jeeps always leaked out the filler hose and that I needed to pull up on a block to lean the jeep toward the tank and to fill it slowly so as not to lose gas and make a mess.

I have a complete set from MTS for my '76, should be the same (the small round filler cap). I bought the 20 GAL tank and MTS gave me the wrong part numbers.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll take pics and verify what part numbers I have.

If you have the newer recessed filler cap, you'll need different parts.

Dave

I have a complete set from MTS for my '76, should be the same (the small round filler cap). I bought the 20 GAL tank and MTS gave me the wrong part numbers.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll take pics and verify what part numbers I have.

If you have the newer recessed filler cap, you'll need different parts.

Dave
Thank you for the reply. Pictures would be very helpful. I am interested, what kind of shape are the hoses in?

The hoses are all new. MTS gave me the part numbers for the 15 gallon steel tank, I have the 20 gallon plastic tank and they don't fit. These will fit the small round filler neck, not the newer style rectangle recess style.
CJFH-4 filler hose,
CJVH-4 vent hose,
CJFHN-1, the steel nipple that mates the hoses.

Attachments

• Jeep filler hoses.jpg
    Jeep filler hoses.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1
The hoses are all new. MTS gave me the part numbers for the 15 gallon steel tank, I have the 20 gallon plastic tank and they don't fit. These will fit the small round filler neck, not the newer style rectangle recess style.
CJFH-4 filler hose,
CJVH-4 vent hose,
CJFHN-1, the steel nipple that mates the hoses.
Thank you everyone. I have two new sets of these which will not work. Perhaps what I have is something for California I will have to find the old parts to compare to.

Post a pic of what you have - the tank connections and the filler body. For that vintage, there's only 2 oem styles, assuming you have the stock 15 gal steel tank.

This is the '76-ish (old style) filler. The vent joins the filler tube with a nipple.
1701352938345.png

This is the later models. I don't know when the change was made, and I'm sure like everything else from the mid 70;s, there were overlap years.
The vent has its own nipple on the neck.

1701353098266.png

I scratched my head over this more than a decade ago. I ended up getting the right size hoses from a local industrial gas pump supplier and did my own. As for the bend, a new commercial grade hose will conform to the radius without a bend. I have the larger plastic tank. No issues since then.

I scratched my head over this more than a decade ago. I ended up getting the right size hoses from a local industrial gas pump supplier and did my own. As for the bend, a new commercial grade hose will conform to the radius without a bend. I have the larger plastic tank. No issues since then.
I did similar and actually upgraded with a recessed junkyard swapped "inset" from a truck. Didn't like the cap sticking out where I like to hit rocks :rofl:

I did similar and actually upgraded with a recessed junkyard swapped "inset" from a truck. Didn't like the cap sticking out where I like to hit rocks :rofl:
Back when my mechanic "fixed" it, he crushed the already-brittle filler hose. When it was re-installed the fuel system would not pressurise thus failing the smog test. I was so disgusted that I dropped the project. Thank you Patrick and JR74 for providing an answer to this dilemma.

Back when my mechanic "fixed" it, he crushed the already-brittle filler hose. When it was re-installed the fuel system would not pressurise thus failing the smog test. I was so disgusted that I dropped the project. Thank you Patrick and JR74 for providing an answer to this dilemma.
Oh I see - smog - I always forget about that having a pre-smog model... I remember seeing a few places that had good blowup diagrams for all those parts. I'll see if I can find that again later today... It's been a while since I searched.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom