Anyone experience with BDS lifts

Anyone experience with BDS lifts

Masscj7

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, SBC 350, Dana 300, D30, AMC20
Been spending a lot of time researching the forums to make a best educated purchase. Looking for a 4” lift for my 86 CJ7 resto.

The front runners appear to be the 4.5” RE or the 4” BDS with YJ spring conversions.

There has been a lot feedback on the RE, but not nearly as much on the BDS one. Does anyone have some input to their experiences on the BDS lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at both when I was replaceing my springs. I chose the BDS 4" CJ spring kit. The RE looked good but the the BDS " no BS warranty" sounded good since I would be running it the desert. Sofar I have been real happy with my choice. I don't think you would have any problems with the YJ kit, good people to work with.

I have the 2.5" BDS lift on my 76 CJ5. Absolutely no problems with ride.

All springs will settle a bit, but from my experience, and the experience of other I've listened to, the BDS settles less. And from that point on, stays true.

I have the 2.5" BDS kit on mine and couldn't be happier. Install was straight forward but the kit doesn't come with everything you need to switch out the suspension such as spring plates. I could pull the list up of what I needed if you want.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Been spending a lot of time researching the forums to make a best educated purchase. Looking for a 4” lift for my 86 CJ7 resto.

The front runners appear to be the 4.5” RE or the 4” BDS with YJ spring conversions.

There has been a lot feedback on the RE, but not nearly as much on the BDS one. Does anyone have some input to their experiences on the BDS lift?

Like others have said, it's a good kit. I've been running the 4" for about four years now. It's solid...it's also stiff. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you can tolerate, and what kind of ride you're looking for. I just mounted an 8274 and it did wonders for damping the front end. I also did the add-a-leaf option for a full size spare in the rear, which I've yet to add, but I'm guessing doing so will have the same effect out back.

There were three kits when I did the research back then...the other two were, as you mentioned, RE...which is very comparable. The other was the OME kit, which got very good reviews, particularly in the area of ride quality. Much softer spring yet still capable off road...great flex for leaves.

At the time I was put off by having to redo the perches for the YJ springs, so I went BDS.

Unless something has changed since then, the only one that utilizes YJ springs is the OME.

Yes, OME seems needs a little mod and I’m looking for more bolt on. Mostly looking for ride quality and ensure clear 33’s. I do not want to have to add a body lift, as I hate the looks of them as well as the added leverage they put on the mounts. If I could get over my issues with the looks, a less arched 2.5 should give me a better ride, but the clearance for 33’s and want to have some room for flex down the road of how I use the Jeep changes.

Yes, OME seems needs a little mod and I’m looking for more bolt on. Mostly looking for ride quality and ensure clear 33’s. I do not want to have to add a body lift, as I hate the looks of them as well as the added leverage they put on the mounts. If I could get over my issues with the looks, a less arched 2.5 should give me a better ride, but the clearance for 33’s and want to have some room for flex down the road of how I use the Jeep changes.

You'll have plenty of room if you go 4"...I'm running 33s now and could easily go 35s without doing anything else. It's actually closer to 5" when all is said and done, and there's little if any settling to it, as Hack said

I am currently in the midst of installing a 4 1/2" BDS lift on my 83 CJ7.

Just got through with the front. Starting on the back now.

Everything is working/fitting as should. Only problem I'm having is removing 35 year old fasteners. I have had success using PB Blaster and a propane torch. Squirt, heat, turn, squirt, heat, turn... Just use common sense with the torch...

Most of those type of issues was removing cross member bolts, body mount bolts, and u-bolts.

I have the 2.5" BDS springs on my CJ and I'm very happy with them. I've had them on there for a couple years now and I haven't noticed any settling.

Their warranty is a good reason to go with them. I had a rear spring sag a little more than an inch after a couple months of very light use. BDS was stumped and asked for some pictures and measurements to make sure I was outside of tolerances. They sent out a new spring the same day and I returned the bad one to a local authorized dealer. Easy peasy.

Awesome feedback folks. I ordered up the 4” lift and the YJ spring conversion last night from local guy. Excellent price compared to the RE. I can’t wait to see the brown Santa

I have the 2.5" BDS lift on my 76 CJ5. Absolutely no problems with ride.

All springs will settle a bit, but from my experience, and the experience of other I've listened to, the BDS settles less. And from that point on, stays true.
Do you have any pictures of your jeep. Trying to debate 2.5” or 4”. What size tire you runnig?

1976 Jeep CJ5 After.jpg

32x11.5-15 TSL/SX Tires, 2.5" BDS lift, 3/4" ConFerr shackles (3/8" lift). Poly body mounts (no lift). The tires are closer to 31" mounted on 15x8 rims. As it sits, I could possibly squeeze 33x10.50-15 tires under it (or some 17" metric equivalent}. However, it will limit articulation and steering radius. Due to the narrow track front axle, there is a greater tendency to contact the springs, the larger (width and/or diameter) the tire. My 32's hit the springs, so I needed to set the steering stops accordingly.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
View attachment 77956

32x11.5-15 TSL/SX Tires, 2.5" BDS lift, 3/4" ConFerr shackles (3/8" lift). Poly body mounts (no lift). The tires are closer to 31" mounted on 15x8 rims. As it sits, I could possibly squeeze 33x10.50-15 tires under it (or some 17" metric equivalent}. However, it will limit articulation and steering radius. Due to the narrow track front axle, there is a greater tendency to contact the springs, the larger (width and/or diameter) the tire. My 32's hit the springs, so I needed to set the steering stops accordingly.
Long time no see @HackFabrication :chug: How have you been?

Long time no see @HackFabrication :chug: How have you been?
Been doing good, wife has been keeping me busy with HER projects. Currently re-doing our master bedroom closet. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. But the wife has had major butt ache (which translates to regular itch sessions for me), with it. Also been doing a bunch of smaller projects in my wood shop. I try to get most of them done before spring, as things get even more hectic around here.

How ya been?

Hack how are the TSLs on pavement ?
Don't really have any issues with them. Yeah, a bit on the noisy side, I run them at around 35 psi on the street. They've never been off-road, in snow/mud/etc. Interco has discontinued this size (in the TSL/SX bias), even though they still list it, ya can't buy them. I could go with the radial version, but I'm considering some different tires this spring. Probably go with some sort of radial all terrain for better street use. Probably look into a 33x10.5-R15, BFG, Bridgestone, etc. I really don't put a lot of miles on the CJ. It's stored at my lake house, which is about 37 miles from my regular house. It got a lot of use as my beer run vehicle, but I quit drinking in 2021, so now it's my grocery getter. Last year was a biggy, as I probably put 200 miles on it. Did the Woodward Dream Cruise, and a couple car shows. I'm debating whether I should sell it this year, or not.

If you have a garage or good place to store it, keep it. :chug:

If you have a garage or good place to store it, keep it. :chug:
Oh, it sits happily in my heated garage at the lake house. However, it's a matter of available space and usage. I've got a similar problem with my 1993 Harley-Davidson FLHS, taking up valuable space (in my main house's garage), and not being used a lot. Toss in upkeep, insurance, plates, etc., it's kind of a waste for me to have either of them. Especially the HD, as I'll be 73 this year, and I'm getting a bit too old, to hold the dang thing up.

Problem is, neither one of them is worth a heck of a lot. The HD, on a good day, probably will fetch $4500-$5000 in my area. I'm going to package it up, with all the parts I have, and the lift table (Direct Lift). I put a brand new battery in it last year, and rode it a whopping 20 miles (mostly around the neighborhood).

The CJ5? I have no idea what it might be priced at. I know what I've got into it (have all receipts logged on my computer), and it's an embarrassing amount of money (think the equivalent of two new Grand Cherokees), and I'll be lucky to get 15 cents on the dollar for it. If someone came by with fifteen grand in their hand, they'd own it. But, I don't think that'll happen.

Well sounds like you’ve had a good ride with both. We all have a lot in our Jeeps, Me I would let the HD go mainly like you said, hard to hold that bad boy up. I use to ride a long time ago, I like to think now my Jeep is my 4 wheeled Bike.

Well sounds like you’ve had a good ride with both.
Yep. It took me a while to get the hydroboost brakes sorted on the CJ, but now they're fine, and no longer have a habit of self applying. But at my age, I'm looking at a potential shoulder replacement (right side) this fall, and it's a bit uncomfortable (sometimes painful), shifting the 4spd in the CJ. Luckily with the 5.0L and the 4.56 gearing, once I get it in 4th, I don't have to downshift much.

Anyway... Back on topic: BDS lift has been great. I wouldn't lift a CJ5 much above 3", but that's a personal preference. I think they look better with just a small lift. CJ7 or 8, yeah go 4", springover, or custom 4 links on one tons!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks