Default Stretched CJ7 on tons 

Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Incommando
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7 360/T18/D20 D60F/14bolt on 38's, Stock '91 MJ 4.0/2wd parts runner

I started with a '77 frame/tub that has had the front end out-boarded, shackle reversed, and extended. It was originally a Levi that came with a 304/th400/quadratrac but there is little to nothing of that left.

Rear has been comp cut with the "crusher" type corners.

I bought it without a drive-train. A FSJ 360/T18a/D20 drive-train has been swapped in using MORE motor mounts and a custom cross-member that tucks all of the goodies in nice & high. I am retaining the 2100 carb for now as I have really liked them off-road in the past but I swapped in a GM HEI-style distributor. The engine's PO had it rebuilt by a local engine shop but mostly to stock specs with an "rv" grind cam. I have a hotter crane cam/double roller timing set/Edelbrock 4v intake on the shelf that may get swapped in eventually. I put a 4.56 Dodge D60F with a Spartan locker and a Solid cover in the front with a 4.56 14 bolt with a Grizzly in the back. I think the 4.56's will be fine considering the 6.32:1 first gear in the tranny. I have the Barnes "13bolt" shave cover for the rear along with a disc brake kit with parking brake calipers...it is a stick shift, after all. GM 1-ton hydro-boost is going on...

I am running Ground Hawg II Radials in 38x15.5x16.5 flavor. They measure out at 37.3" on the rims and on the jeep.

The jeep sat too high as it was on 4" lift Chevy leafs. I swapped stock height Chevy leafs on and it sits 5" lower now than in that pic.

I found the frame to be in worse shape then first thought so I ended up pulling the tub to box the frame. Boxing the frame led to cutting off all of the suspension mounts and re-doing them with mounts from Barnes 4wd. Very nice pieces and good prices. The frame and bumper/suspension mounts are as solid as can be. The wheel base is at 104".

I cut the perches off the 14-bolt and re-welded them angled for a CV rear drive shaft. I left the front axle yoke parallel to the front t-case output yoke and will have a long-stroke drive shaft made. I did not cut/rotate the front axle for a CV shaft as I have lock-outs so the front shaft won't be turning all of the time anyway. The u-joint angle should be fine with the axle having been moved forward. I built cross-over steering using an arm on the pass side and RuffStuff 1-ton tie rods and thick tubing for the drag link. Moved the gear box to the outside of the frame with a custom mount. Hi-steer may be in the future but the flat-ish springs on the front may make that difficult. The tie rod assembly on a Dodge D60 is pretty high so maybe I will be OK.

Now to patch & re-install the body, plumb the brakes & fuel, and wire the booger...

Last edited by Incommando; 03-01-2012 at 01:19 PM..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Stretched CJ7 on tons 

Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Niedhogg
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '79 Jeep CJ7 Renegade with 304ci V8, TH400 auto, Quadratrac T-case, Stock 20 and 30 rears with no mods yet, not sure of the gear ratio.. 4" Softride Superlift, w/widetrac shock towers and 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrains '76 CJ5, 232 ci, T-150 3-speed, D20 T-case, Corp. 20 rear w/full float axles and lockout hubs and Detroit auto locker, D30 front w/lockout hubs, gear ratio is unknown..

Wow.. gonna be a monster!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Incommando
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7 360/T18/D20 D60F/14bolt on 38's, Stock '91 MJ 4.0/2wd parts runner

Here are the rims: pretty generic:

That isn't rust just dried grass
Motor mount:

Lousy pic of the custom crossmember:

drivetrain in frame:

Front mount for front springs and part of steering linkage:

New ride height:

None of the welds are "final" they were just tacked with a small Snap-on welder. They will be finished welded with a millermatic 250
More pics later...crappy cell memory was full.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Incommando
Senior Jeeper

Here is the jeep from the front. The drag link angle may not be ideal but I think it will be workable:

Almost completed gear box relocation:

FSJ pitman arm connecting C20 gear box to RuffStuff cross-over steering"

Last edited by Incommando; 03-05-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
mtnwhlr
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu, 78 CJ7

Wow nice project you must plan on doing some serious 4wheeling.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtnwhlr For This Useful Post:
Incommando (03-05-2012)

Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Incommando
Senior Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwhlr View Post
Wow nice project you must plan on doing some serious 4wheeling.
Thanks... It is actually more of a "I hope this idiot driver doesn't break me" jeep. I got a great deal on the front axle and I figured why not just go straight to tons rather than invest in axles and then maybe have to pay to upgrade later.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Incommando
Senior Jeeper

For comparison here are the lift springs that were on it when I bought it with about 28" tires:

Scary tall

Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
mtnwhlr
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu, 78 CJ7

I can't wait to see it done as I bet you can't either. Have fun fun.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Hopper
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 78 CJ7,258.Fiberglass tub, BDS springs,shocks, 3"lift, Painless Harness, 33's

Wow that is a serious rig. cant wait to see the pics keep it coming.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Incommando
Senior Jeeper

Thanks! I have made some progress that I do not have pics for yet...about to start on the floor of the tub... But i do have some progress

New brakes for the D60 front Including NOS Lock-outs- build date June 4, 1980 and still in perfect condition::

Brake pads, rotors, calipers, all 3 hoses, hardware kits, bearings, seals, and 16 new lug studs for a D60 Front? About $400... Lock-outs not included in that price... Makes that rear disc kit with parking brake calipers I got off pirate look like a real bargain

I just picked up a factory bar with the Kentrol front kit added (pic 1) for cheap. I will use the factory bar already in the jeep to make a third hoop by the rear and tie it to the center bar with the factory support bars from the second roll bar. (pics 2 & 3)... Tying it to the frame will be cake at all 6 down points.(pic 4) For the rear two "downs" I am going to use the second factory mounting plate underneath the tub & bolted through the sheet metal to the top plate & weld the frame supports to that.

I will add a dash bar and some spreaders from the middle bar to the front bar by using some tubing I already have and call it good.