Default Here we go again............ 

Old 10-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
TnCJ
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ 5, 4.2 engine, D30,AMC 20, T176, Dana 300, MC 2100 carburetor.

I should of started a build thread on my 1980 CJ5, but I had pretty much finished it before I found this site.
Of course as we all know we NEVER finish lol.
My 1980 has a tired engine, I doubt that it has ever been rebuilt. I'm starting to get a knock in the bottom end, oil pressure is very low, 15 psi going down the road and dropping to almost zero at idle.
I do love driving it though, brings back memories of my younger years when I owned a 1970's CJ5. But I always have it in the back of my mind when i'm driving it that the engine could give out at any time and leave me stranded. So I decided it was time for a rebuild. As luck would have it I stumbled on a "project" Jeep that someone had started for their son. Poor ole Dad had spent a couple of years rebuilding and then the son decided he would rather have something else so Dad decided to unload it.
Ends up it is a 1972 model, with a 1984 rebuilt engine that has only been run on the stand, new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing etc, has a rebuilt Dana 44 rear end, T150 tranny, Dana 30 front axle, and not sure about the transfer case but guessing it's a Spicer 20. The body is rough but fixable, frame has also seen better days but it has been patched and whoever did it has done a pretty good job.
My plan is to pull the engine and mate it up to my T176 tranny and Dana 300 transfer case. I also plan on swapping my old exhaust, intake manifold to the new engine, for some reason the PO put a new 1 barrel intake manifold and what looks to be a Carter YF carb on it????? He also put headers on it. I've not decided if i'll keep the headers or not.
Long term I don't know what i'll do with the rest of the 1972 Jeep. I could part it out as is. Rebuild my old engine and put it back in the 1972 and use it as a farm vehicle, or????????????????
I could even swap the rear axles out, I like the looks of that Dana 44!!
I snapped a few pics this morning before I started taking things apart. I plan on removing the body tomorrow then start pulling the engine this week.
I probably won't switch engines until this Winter when things slow down and I get bored lol.
Stay tuned...................
Attached Thumbnails
body1.jpg   body2.jpg   engine2.jpg   engine1.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Here we go again............ 

Old 10-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
TnCJ
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ 5, 4.2 engine, D30,AMC 20, T176, Dana 300, MC 2100 carburetor.

Spent the morning taking the body off. It was pretty easy, the PO had recently removed it and put it back on so no rusty nuts & bolts to contend with.
Since I was working alone and don't have an engine hoist and the donor Jeep is hanging out down at the garden I used my tractor with a front end loader and forks to yank the body off.
Also removed the intake/exhaust manifold and took a hacksaw to the headers to get them off. They were welded all the way to the rearend. I didn't damage them, I cut them off past the collector so if I do decide to reuse them they can be welded back.
Still scratching my head why the PO used a brand new 1 barrel intake manifold with the Carter YF 1 barrel carb then put headers on.
Got a bunch if honey do's tomorrow so won't get any work done on the Jeep. Hopefully i'll get the motor pulled Saturday and get it in my basement and out of the weather.
I took some pics but haven't found the time to upload them, will try to do so tomorrow.
A big thanks to Posi for answering some questions regarding my T176 fitting the new engine. I was in freakout mode.............
I said in my original post that the engine was an 84 model, It is in fact a 1978
block with an 84 crankshaft. The Jeep itself is a 1972 model. There aint no tellin what year the other parts are.

Last edited by TnCJ; 10-03-2019 at 08:31 PM..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 10-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
TnCJ
Jeeper

Here's a pic of what I did yesterday.
Today I disconected the power steering lines, fuel line, and anything connecting the motor to the frame.
I separated the transmission from the motor as well. It was pretty easy and came apart without too much persuasion. I will hopefully pull the motor out tomorrow and get it into my basement and out of the weather. Luckily it has been dry here but rain is supposed to move in Sunday and Monday.
Working on it outside on uneven ground isn't the best working conditions and with the temps in the mid 90's makes it even worse.
I spent part of the day building an engine stand to put the motor on after I pull it. The plan is to pull motor, put it on the stand, hoist it into the back of my truck, haul it to the house, unload it and roll it into the basement.
Attached Thumbnails
body-off.jpg  

Old 10-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
TnCJ
Jeeper

Pulled the motor today and got it on my homemade engine stand. I now have a "crate engine" lol. I really should buy an engine stand, cherry picker and transmission jack. But i'm kind of a tightwad and usually make do with what I have on hand.
I may pull the T150 transmission out tomorrow or in the near future and get it in the dry.
I was a nervous wreck loading and unloading it in and out of the bed of my truck. But it all went well. A cherry picker sure would of come in handy!
I feel better now having it out of the weather and in my basement.
The wife helped...............a little.
Attached Thumbnails
unloading-1.jpg   unloading-2.jpg  

Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

I was wondering what the stand would look like.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
TnCJ
Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belizean View Post
I was wondering what the stand would look like.
It's not much to look at but will serve the purpose. I had casters on it but they were too small and wouldn't roll worth a crap so I took them off.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnCJ View Post
It's not much to look at but will serve the purpose. I had casters on it but they were too small and wouldn't roll worth a crap so I took them off.
I'm lucky to have a friend lend me his stand, and when I need it a hoist. Had the stand probably 2 1/2 years now. To darn long.

The Following User Says Thank You to Belizean For This Useful Post:
TnCJ (10-06-2019)