Default Re: Cj8 build from parts 

Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
certifiablejeep
certifiablejeep.com
Vehicle(s): 8 jeeps

wow, very cool and very aggressive on the time line.
I have 2 daughters as well, but I have a bit more time on my side... the oldest is just going to be 4, so I figure I have about 36x the time you have

Labor Day is doable if you have the time to put into it... that is my issue currently, just not enough time because my "helpers" vs. your "helpers" truly equate out to a whole lot different "helping"... yours probably listen and do what they are told

Good luck with the build.

cb
CertifiableJeep website'76 ORANGE CJ-5'76 MAROON CJ-5'78 SILVER CJ-7'82 WHITE CJ-8ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41SILVER JEEP CLUB #41SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62NEWJO Member

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
BIGTRUCKNUT
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '45 Ford GPW; '73 CJ5 350/NP435/D20; CJ8 304/T19/doubler/D300; '88 Ramcharger 360/NP435/NP205/D60s; '04 Ford Excursion PSD; '00 WJ w/3 and 4-link, D50/Sterling 10.5" axles

Took the 304 block and heads to the local machine shop last Saturday for bore/hone, deck, cam bearing install and new guides, valves (1.94/1.5), and seats. Had to go .060" over from previous .030" over rebuild. Going to pick up stuff tomorrow for mock up to measure deck height for final block decking. Hoping to achieve 9.0:1 static compression ratio with combination of pistons, block decking, and head milling. Will let you know how it looks, and post some pictures.

Still haven't decided on a cam yet but think I have it narrowed down to a CompCams XE256 grind (212/218*, .477/.484") or Howards 314131-10 cam (214/220*, .527/.540"). Thoughts?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
BIGTRUCKNUT
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '45 Ford GPW; '73 CJ5 350/NP435/D20; CJ8 304/T19/doubler/D300; '88 Ramcharger 360/NP435/NP205/D60s; '04 Ford Excursion PSD; '00 WJ w/3 and 4-link, D50/Sterling 10.5" axles

Got the block and heads back and mocked up to rotating assembly yesterday to check piston to deck clearance. As you can see from the photos, I had my apprentice (daughter) helping me and hopefully learning something. After watching, listening, and asking questions while I did the first cylinder bank, she did the other. Interesting to deterimine that both deck surfaces were tapered front to rear by .008" and the pistons (Seal Power 1079NP, stock replacement) were down in the bores on average .030". Armed with this info, the block is going back Monday for a final cut of the deck surface to take out the taper and tighten up the quench distance using a .045" head gasket (stock shim gasket is .020"). I'm shooting for pistons .005" out of the hole which will give me .040" quench clearance between piston and head surface and raise the compression a little.

The heads look good and the 1.94"/1.5" Chevy valves look like they were made to be there. My shop did a skim cut of the head surface, installed 11/32" guides and hardened exhaust seats, and cut seats for the larger valves. They also trimmed the valve tips to get the valve tip height back to AMC stock dimensions while using the slightly longer Chevy valves. This week I will break out the die grinder to blend the bowls/valve seat area - there is a slight ridge/machined edge on the short side radius that needs to be smoothed out but that is about it. I think that not much grinding is required because the stock bowls and ports seem to be cast to accomodate bigger 360 valves already and the 1.94" intake valves actually improve the mishapen stock bowl/seat area caused by the use of the small 304 valves. Some might argue that this "extra" work and use of non stock replacement parts is unnecessary since I am not building a high rpm screamer. I would tell you that I do like to massage parts to optimize their function, performance, and efficiency whenever I reasonably can. That said, I'd like to cut the rocker pedestals for screw in studs and guideplates like a previous 304 that I built but frankly, money is tight right now as I look for employment within the Norfolk/Greater Hampton Roads VA area following retirement fom the Marine Corps last month. The use of stock vs roller rockers will determine my decision to install a lower lift/slower rate of lift cam that will be accomodated by the stock bridged rockers or a higher lift/faster rate cam that will need a roller rocker setup.

Hell, I still need to order a new body and all the accrutriments to round out this ground up Scrambler build! To that end I applied to a position with Dept of State last week, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Ty
Attached Thumbnails
dsc02159.jpg   dsc02163.jpg  

Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
tjmons
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7 , six cylinders , 5 speed , 2.5 inch skyjacker suspension lift , 2 inch body , 35 x 12.50 x 15's ,one piece axles , just bought this cj after PO stored for the past 25 yrs ,

Awesome build so far. Nice to see the famliy into also. Keep up the good work and looking for more updates

Old 07-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #15
BIGTRUCKNUT
Jeeper

UPS guy showed up tonight with a few boxes of parts - headers, valve springs, locks, retainers, and other small parts; cam and lifters inbound tomorrow. Couldn't wait, had to reassembled the heads tonight. To rehash, buillding a 304. Guides were worn so had the heads cut for 11/32" stem Chevy 1.94/1.50 valves, pocket ported them to clean up valve job machine work, blend bowls into the ports, and to smooth out short-side radius. I installed CompCams springs, locks, retainers, and PC seals to work with Howards Cam 261/267 duration, .527/.540 lift. All went together smoothly. Will be interesting to see how long the stock bridged rocker arms hold up to the big cam and springs.

Did the rear main bearing oiling mod to the block yesterday- pretty easy and it came out extremely well. I used a pre-made 16" length of AN-6 braided hose with straight and 90* AN fittings on either end and two 1/8 NPT/AN-6 fittings tapped into the oil ports. Will locktite the AN fittings to ensure they don't come loose and cause an internal oil leak and loss of oil pressure to the back of motor. Will also do the oil pump and front cover oil return mods. Tomorrow morning early will wash and dry the block, install cam bearings, and commence to putting the short block back together with the fresh internals. In the end, had to bore/hone to .060" over, decked the block to zero deck the pistons with .045" head gasket, and skim cut the heads in addition to the bigger valves and new guides. The crank journals had previously been cut .010/.010" and measured good so I just chucked it up on the lathe and polished the journals out. Unfortunately too dark in the garage/driveway to take pictures of the heads going together tonight but I'll take some tomorrow and post progress. Will also roll the chassis out into the driveway to get a picture of the Aero Tanks 33 gallon fuel tank I installed last week. In all, it's coming together - Need to order the new body before the end of the week though.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
BIGTRUCKNUT
Jeeper

Too much time building, not enough time taking photos. Motor is together and in the frame but ran into clearance issues between the header collectors and the reverse shackles. Headers are at the machine shop having the flanges angle cut to pull the collectors in closer to the block - fortunately I got the Hedman Elite headers with the thick flanges so I have enough material to do this. Otherwise, I've been working to fit the '76 CJ5 transmission skidplate to the 80s CJ8 spec'd frame, cleaned up the T150 and D20, ran brake lines, etc etc etc. New clutch and pressure plate going in tomorrow, install trans/t-case, and maybe run the fuel line out back to the BIG 33 gallon tank from Aero Tank. And I'll continue to think about the exhaust system - got all the parts/pipes in to build/weld a 2 1/2" into 3" full length system that dumps behind the drivers side rear wheel.

Body and windshield should be inbound from Willys Overland early next week. Plan to fab up a pair of tube fenders - not sure if going with standard height or do high fenders/cut hood. Have two hoods, one good, the other beat up and perfect to experiment on. Need to paint little parts, paint the body, find an appropriate steering wheel to mount onto the Flaming River column, find/order a new dash and run the wiring once the body gets here and is bolted down.

Pictures of motor, trans/transfer case, rolling chassis. More to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc02167.jpg   dsc02164.jpg   dsc02168.jpg  

Old 08-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #17
gaspipe
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '80 desert tan CJ7 258 w/ 4.0L head, MC2100, PS, PB, T150, twin stick Dana 20, Dana 30 w/ Lock-Rite, trussed AMC 20, 3.73's, Borgesen, tilt column, 4" lift, 1.5" body lift, 16x8 alloys, 265/75-16 KM2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTRUCKNUT View Post
Too much time building, not enough time taking photos
Nice run. Never enough time or beer to chronicle it all.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaspipe For This Useful Post:
thiswontbetooexpensive (08-08-2013)

Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
wm69
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 85 CJ7 #1 258, T5 with BM shifter, Superior Axles, MC2100 TFI 8274 Warn Hubs 31 BFG MTs ( Mud Jeep) 85CJ7 #2 258, T176, 2.5 Rancho lift, 31 BFG AT's (the street Jeep)

MD Juan has redone their Scrambler tubs and there's a long thread about it over on the Scrambler board (CJ-8.com). He came to that forum asking how he could improve his product, and there are some really, really picky guys over there when it comes to having everything just right. You might check into it before you pull the trigger on a tub. I'm waiting on him to come up with a good quality steel windshield frame so all the ones that are currently available are crap.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
JR74CJ5
Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ OME 2-1/2" Lift Spring Conversion

Looking very nice bud!

I'm over the 304 build... I'd like to rip min apart and re-do it completely... one of these days...

~ Jr

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Petescj
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ-7 258 / T-176 / Dana 300. 4 in Superlift springs 33 in Falken ATZ on aluminum wheels.

Thanked 1,184 Times in 900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
MD Juan has redone their Scrambler tubs and there's a long thread about it over on the Scrambler board (CJ-8.com). He came to that forum asking how he could improve his product, and there are some really, really picky guys over there when it comes to having everything just right. You might check into it before you pull the trigger on a tub. I'm waiting on him to come up with a good quality steel windshield frame so all the ones that are currently available are crap.
X's 2 on this. That was a great site for him to go on and ask how to improve on his tubs. Id say there are some perfectionists there for sure. Thats not a slam at all. They see alot of stuff many wouldnt even think of. Theres alot of good people and good info there. Reminds me alot of here. I'll have to swing by next week when Im on vacation.

Click HERE for my build thread. 80Cj-7

It's fun to be crazy , it opens so many more options!