Default 3rd time down the rabbit hole... 

Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Project86
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ 7 Blue 2004 Chevy LWB CC, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport 1986 CJ 7 Red Garnet 1978 CJ 7 Kinda Orangish

Just trailered this one home about a week ago. 1978 CJ7 AMC 360 3 speed. I haven't decided which way this is gonna go for a build yet. The final product will be freshly painted; color... unknown. Motor will see some horsepower upgrades; which ones...not sure. The only thing I'm 90% on is changing the dash into some type of hybrid.

The good: Plenty of extras; winch, rock sliders, racks in the back, decent bumpers, 360! Headers!, tires so new the little rubber titties are still present, new body mounts, new leaf spring (might be bad at this point..could change to coil overs), original tub, how about those cool graphics?!, new soft top and doors, new bikini top, hardly any bastardization on the wiring under the hood.

The bad: As usual body cancer in a couple of spots, but nothing really bad, couple of usual oil leaks, winch remote was lost, starting issue with key/lock cylinder, really hadn't enough time to investigate everything.

I took a job yesterday as a consultant and I think I'll use it as a daily driver and do some of the shake down testing during my commute of roughly 15 minutes. So don't be bashful ya'll. throw your ideas and comments out there something might stick with me.
Attached Thumbnails
cj78.1.jpg   cj78.7.jpg   cj78.6.jpg   cj78.12.jpg   cj78.13.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: 3rd time down the rabbit hole... 

Old 03-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
Project86
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ 7 Blue 2004 Chevy LWB CC, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport 1986 CJ 7 Red Garnet 1978 CJ 7 Kinda Orangish

Finally got a few minutes to post up some more pictures. Coming soon engine pix.
Attached Thumbnails
cj78.2.jpg   cj78.3.jpg   cj78.10.jpg   cj78.11.jpg   cj78.8.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

Looks real nice ! Why was the owner selling a nice rig like that, just moving on ?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
jafo
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ7. 304 V8 3 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project86 View Post
Just trailered this one home about a week ago. 1978 CJ7 AMC 360 3 speed. I haven't decided which way this is gonna go for a build yet. The final product will be freshly painted; color... unknown. Motor will see some horsepower upgrades; which ones...not sure. The only thing I'm 90% on is changing the dash into some type of hybrid.

The good: Plenty of extras; winch, rock sliders, racks in the back, decent bumpers, 360! Headers!, tires so new the little rubber titties are still present, new body mounts, new leaf spring (might be bad at this point..could change to coil overs), original tub, how about those cool graphics?!, new soft top and doors, new bikini top, hardly any bastardization on the wiring under the hood.

The bad: As usual body cancer in a couple of spots, but nothing really bad, couple of usual oil leaks, winch remote was lost, starting issue with key/lock cylinder, really hadn't enough time to investigate everything.

I took a job yesterday as a consultant and I think I'll use it as a daily driver and do some of the shake down testing during my commute of roughly 15 minutes. So don't be bashful ya'll. throw your ideas and comments out there something might stick with me.
I'm one of those "drive it as is" kind of people. Really looking at it in pics, I would'nt go crazy with it. But I know how things go. I started planning on mine, one piece axles, still on garage floor. Upgrade tans to an NP435 from the t-150, NP 435 revuilt but still on garage floor. Rebuild front end, ordered all the parts, still sitting on work bench. I did however install the lift kit, wheels and tires and front and rear bumpers and some maintenance issues. I just can't get my butt out of the drivers seat. Good luck though. I'd drive and leave as is., just me though.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:49 PM   #5
Project86
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belizean View Post
Looks real nice ! Why was the owner selling a nice rig like that, just moving on ?

He also had a fastback mustang sitting in the garage, a 69 I think it was. He wanted to do a first class resto on that. As fate would have it, we clenched the deal around Valentines day. I told him that now he could buy his sweetheart something really nice to show his affection... like a supercharger. Then I reminded him not to forget something for his wife.

I'm gonna have to agree with you Jafo on the drive as is. The patina of the original color has grown on me. I'm thinking of clear coating the paint and calling it good. Engine mods are still on the table though. If for nothing else having a piece of mind that I've seen the guts of it and know whats there. Still gonna do something with the dash and and maybe a little bit on the interior. After doing the 2 rebuilds for the kids I really didn't want a full blown redo again, besides I'm getting to old for that much work. I was trying retirement before going back to help a friend do some consulting.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project86 View Post
He also had a fastback mustang sitting in the garage, a 69 I think it was. He wanted to do a first class resto on that. As fate would have it, we clenched the deal around Valentines day. I told him that now he could buy his sweetheart something really nice to show his affection... like a supercharger. Then I reminded him not to forget something for his wife.

g.
Sounds a little like the story I heard from a guy I talked to a couple weeks ago at work. He was showing me some pictures of I think it was a 78 Levi edition CJ7 that belonged to his dad who died last year. Anyway he needs to build a garage to work on vehicles. He's not that interested in the Jeep because his dad also had a 61 or 62 Corvette that he wants to work on and drive. Both looked really nice.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #7
Project86
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

So if you're feeling lucky and have a half day to kill; get a lottery ticket and go fishing. I decided to change this little SOB. So here are a couple of the pictures I'll got into the dissertation next time.
Attached Thumbnails
rb3.jpg  

Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
Project86
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

That spring with the tin cap and square hole, well it brings it's own special misery. Before it was over my tool box threw up all over the floor board, seat, and hood. It's time for a martini, shower and bed.
Attached Thumbnails
rb4.jpg   rb5.jpg   rb2.jpg   rb1.jpg  

Old 03-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
Project86
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

So that little tin cap has a set of ears/tabs on it that must be rotated to release 'em so the spring will come out and the repair can proceed. Sorry I wasn't smart enough to take a picture when I was doing this but I was kinda rolling along and didn't think about it. My hand drawn picture scribble might help someone along the way. So I put a combo wrench on the steering shaft along with the steering wheel nut. My Ez-Out set is made from square stock, so I chose the one that fit inside the hole. So happens a 5/16 fit on the one that fit the hole. Now it gets tricky.. the ez out and the wrench have to held in such a manner to be pushed down and the ez out turned with the wrench. In my case I had a helper turn the ez out with the wrench.

To re-install, I used a deep socket and extension. Found a socket that allowed me to push the tin cap and spring back into it's hole and then I could turn the ez out with the wrench. Going back I did it by myself, but it was a . the letter B and rhymes with ditch.
Attached Thumbnails
column2.jpg   column1.jpg  

Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
Project86
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

And, it that wasn't enough you'll need to know this also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuqc1iWG7gA&t=150s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgXBxd0Bqp0

In the end it was all worth it.

Beware of a little spring clip deal with rolled ends, It's called a preload spring and it will sneak out of its home and cause grief it you don't see it. The second vid shows a parts breakout and helped with the repair.