Default 1986 CJ7 Rebuild - Chasing my youth 

Old 01-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #131
Masscj7
Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ7, SBC 350, Dana 300, D30, AMC20

Heres the next project.

Mriplaybass deserves the credit for being the first one to do this and I followed his lead as I installed a Tankís INC PA-4 fuel pump.

Started with a new tank for my canvass.

Marked and cut my hole and then assembled my arm and pick up to dry fit and see how I would orientate it so that the tray was horizontal in the tank. As well as figure depth to cut bracket.

Remember to put in your pick up when doing this to make sure youíre clear of it.

I also decided to flatten a raised boss in the bottom of the tank to get as flat as possible.

Once dry fit, I clamped the ring and marked my holes. I actually drilled them out with clamps and ring so that bit would not walk at all.

After vacuuming out the large stuff. Then I used some acetone and found a good use for our extra box of Save of Date magnets from our wedding. 5 years ago!! They worked great. Took lots of times of rinsing and new magnets. Be patient.

After flushing, I used Eastwoodís gas tank sealer kit to ensure no rust from the drilling and grinding. This process is way more of a pain the arse then their instructions lead you to believe. Messy, crazy fuels and real tough to drain excess out.

After a couple days of the treatment curing, I installed a new sending unit with the pick up tube cut off.

Assembled the in tank pump and sock per instructions

Here I would recommend that you weld the ring into the tank. I chose the clamping method, which means you have to be very careful when threading in the fine thread screws. Donít try go across the circle like torquing a wheel or other circular mount. Problem is that using the single long screw method causes the ring to angle downward.

Watch the couple videos online. Itíll pay off. work your way around the circle one screw at a time one hole at a time sequentially. Use a little never cease and a hand but driver to not force the screws or strip them.

I got 15 of 16 screws in and then cross threaded the last one cause I had tried to put it in across the circle from one of my first screws installed at the beginning!! Had to go out and get a tap and a new screw that doesnít match. Grrrr.

In the end, itís all in and fits perfect. Hope this helps someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: 1986 CJ7 Rebuild - Chasing my youth 

Old 01-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #132
Ultrunner
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Ď85 CJ7, 258, T5, D30, AMC20, D300

What tank did you use. My next purchase is going to be a new gas tank. I want to go with a 20/21gal.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #133
Masscj7
Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ7, SBC 350, Dana 300, D30, AMC20

I went with a Crown. For $89-$100, canít remember, wasnít even a thought to try to reuse. Yes, smaller tank, prob could have tried to find a YJ tank with an in tank pump, but I know that thereís fitment issues with the CJ frame. Think Gert went that route, but had to widen the frame.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #134
Ultrunner
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Ď85 CJ7, 258, T5, D30, AMC20, D300

Yeah, Iím not looking to under-go a bunch of other mods. Gert is setting a paradigm with how much customization heís achieved.

I think the larger tank will better support the sbc 350.