Default Welding Projects 

Old 06-22-2013, 05:21 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
BusaDave9
Jeep-CJ.com Admin
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.

Thanked 1,696 Times in 909 Posts
I enjoy welding and would like some ideas for welding projects.
Show us your welding projects, whether it's a small trinket you made with a couple of spare scraps or a major project such as a frame built from steel tubing.
I have made this welding table.

I posted how I made it here: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f73/bu...g-table-17788/

I know of several other members that weld. Show us what you have built. I'm looking for ideas.

Click here to see my '79 CJ5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Welding Projects 

Old 06-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
BusaDave9
Jeep-CJ.com Admin
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.

Step Stool
My CJ is lifted and hard to work on things under the hood. So I needed an easy way to raise myself. At first I was thinking of something that fit over the tire like this:

Then as I was thinking about it I decided it would be more versatile if it didn't need to hang it off the tire. I ended up making this:

As you can see I made one pair of legs vertical so I could put it right up against the tire. I made the other pair of legs angled so the thing wouldn't tip over when I leaned over my fender. I used expanded steel for the top so I could get traction.
Attached Thumbnails
08-step-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by BusaDave9; 06-22-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
BusaDave9
Jeep-CJ.com Admin
Gold Supporter

Grinder Stand
Another small project I made was to build a stand for my grinder. Here's how it ended up:

I put braces between the legs. The brace in the front is round and bigger than the one in the rear because I put my foot up there. The one in the rear doesn't need to be very big.
Every time I make anything with 4 or more legs I make at least one of the legs adjustable. I use a nut welded to the legs and a bolt screws into it like this.

If the only issue is I don't want it to wobble I only make one foot adjustable. That's what I did for this grinder stand. When I made the welding table I made every foot adjustable. That way I could not only prevent it from wobbling but also make the whole thing level. When I made the grinder stand I didn't need it to be 100% level. My floor is level enough. I only wanted to prevent it from wobbling.

I made this grinder stand at the same time I made the foot stool in the last post. Notice how the top of the grinder stand is made from the angle iron.

You can see it is made the opposite of the step stool.
If I made the top of the step stool on it's own I would have had to cut out a 3 inch notch for every corner (it's 1.5 inch angle iron). Those notches would have been thrown out. Instead I made a bar for the top of the foot stool with an outer rim. Then the next cut was for top rim of the grinder stand. If I didn't alternate each piece I would have wasted two feet of angle iron (3 inches times a total of 8 corners).
Am I making sense? What I am saying is I didn't throw out any scrap when making the corners since I made both projects at the same time and I made inside corners on one project and outside corners on the other. Steel is expensive now-a-days. Every bit helps.
Attached Thumbnails
03-grinder-stand-medium-.jpg   07-grinder-top-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by BusaDave9; 06-22-2013 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Bowbender
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '67 CJ5A Tuxedo Park, Dauntless 225 V6, T86 trans, Spicer 18 tc, D27 front, D44 rear, 3.73:1 gears. Pretty much unmolested mechanically. Daily driver is a 06 Durango SLT Hemi. I used to have a 51 Willys pickup and a 72 Commando.

Good thinking maximizing cuts and materials. I'll get some pics of a few of my projects.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
BusaDave9
Jeep-CJ.com Admin
Gold Supporter

Anyone have any welding projects they would like to share?
I look on Miller's web site for ideas. Someone posted this "Tool Table".

I think that would be so cool to make for my patio. But the guy that posted it gave zero instructions but you can kind of tell how to make it. It should have a glass top.

Maybe I should start collecting antique tools

The Following User Says Thank You to BusaDave9 For This Useful Post:
Neuner (09-18-2014)

Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Bowbender
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '67 CJ5A Tuxedo Park, Dauntless 225 V6, T86 trans, Spicer 18 tc, D27 front, D44 rear, 3.73:1 gears. Pretty much unmolested mechanically. Daily driver is a 06 Durango SLT Hemi. I used to have a 51 Willys pickup and a 72 Commando.

Functional art, pretty cool. Looks like the frame is raised to form a lip, I'm thinking for a glass top. If you made the frame, then cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to fit inside, lay all your pieces out face side down and tack together. Flip it over and replace the plywood with glass.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

getting this many small parts to lay flat when it is welded is going to be challenging.

I would think this was done with an acetylene torch. Just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaDave9 View Post
Anyone have any welding projects they would like to share?
I look on Miller's web site for ideas. Someone posted this "Tool Table".

I think that would be so cool to make for my patio. But the guy that posted it gave zero instructions but you can kind of tell how to make it. It should have a glass top.

Maybe I should start collecting antique tools

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

A welding project?? gee Dave I don't know, is there something that you really need ?

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
BusaDave9
Jeep-CJ.com Admin
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPort51 View Post
getting this many small parts to lay flat when it is welded is going to be challenging.

I would think this was done with an acetylene torch. Just a guess.
I think I could lay the tools on cement or patio bricks. Then weld them together. Sure the top would not be flat but I would turn them over and that surface should be flat. I think I might give it a try.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
BusaDave9
Jeep-CJ.com Admin
Gold Supporter

Nice bumper IO. I could try to make or improve my bumper.