Default Welder upgrade question 

Old 09-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
gert
Sr Respected Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 2005 Ram Cummins, 2008 softail custom

X2 on what hdgapeach said, Miller, Lincoln, and esab are all good welders the Lincoln 180 will do you good for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to gert For This Useful Post:
Hedgehog (09-23-2016)

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Welder upgrade question 

Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #12
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Guys - I am well aware of the following Miller has with professional welders. Fact is I said it a couple times right here in this thread. No question about their quality and you can count Hobart right there among the rest. The 180 is sitting right here in my shop. I dropped by a welding supply shop today and bought a bottle of 75/25 gas. After switching the leads and loading the welder up with wire the first test beads were run on scrap material. I am officially impressed. The puddle is far easier to see and control. About the only thing I didn't like and I'm sure its easy enough to get accustomed to, is the size of the gas shroud. I'm having a little trouble seeing around it.

Now I want to remove the roll cage/bar/metal thing on my jeep and redo all the welds making them pretty.

Learned a valuable thing today. The little gas bottles you get from H-F are empty. Why sell them at all since you would turn the nice new bottle in to get a full one. Nowhere on the bottle or in their add does it say that the bottle is empty. I felt extremely foolish, but H-F took it back without any hassle.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Default Welder upgrade question 

Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #13
gert
Sr Respected Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 2005 Ram Cummins, 2008 softail custom

I cannot tell you how pissed off I was when I spent all that money to buy a brand new bottle from tractor supply to turn around and give it away to get a full bottle I usually pull the bead and angle the tip so I can see where I'm welding because that shroud does get in the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,102 Posts
All of those type bottles are shipped empty to avoid HAZ-MAT charges and the permit fees for storage. IF the store could even get the permits.
Good luck with the welder? Post up some pictures if you can.
LG

Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Not surprised, but they should somehow make it clear that the bottles are empty. Also those little guys aren't much of a good deal. They are $100, the much bigger bottle I got cost less than $150 full of gas. Refills are about $37 .... really you turn in the bottle for a full one.

pictures? Sure, you've seen it before .... Red .... two dials on the front .... bottle in the back. Or are you talking bout a picture of the weld bead? Oh my, you know how showing about any weld bead will bring out the welding wolves with no end to the kindly given advice about how to improve the bead is.

Last edited by Hedgehog; 09-23-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 03:09 AM   #16
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper

Something to get used to. After getting accustomed to using 0.30 or 0.35 flux core wire in the 140 I am amazed at how much more power you need with 0.25 gas shielded wire. Where the flux core used an "A" setting the smaller wire needs a "C" with the feed way up there to get the penetration I expect. It definitely is a case where the puddle is easier to manage, but its not as hot. I've also yet to find that nice bacon cooking crackle, it's more like a controlled short. ...... a learning curve.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #17
Posi
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 54 Willys 3B, FI 401, T-18, ARB Locked, Hinkey Sidewinder Winch

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

pictures? Sure, you've seen it before .... Red .... two dials on the front .... bottle in the back. Or are you talking bout a picture of the weld bead? Oh my, you know how showing about any weld bead will bring out the welding wolves with no end to the kindly given advice about how to improve the bead is.
Just the other day you said you never get invited to any neighborhood BBQ........I can understand why.

Talking Re: Welder upgrade question 

Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #18
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posi View Post
Just the other day you said you never get invited to any neighborhood BBQ........I can understand why.

Picture of the weld, was what I should have said.

LG

The Following User Says Thank You to Lumpy Grits For This Useful Post:
Hedgehog (09-24-2016)

Old 09-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #19
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper

Thanks Posi - You are a little late, I actually expected something like that from you on the thread you quoted. Yeah I'm not a popular personality, my face has been rubbed in it many times so feel free to pile on, you aren't alone.

Lumpy - Before weld pictures I need to work with this welder for a while. I wrote what I did because I've seen it over and over again on the welding sites. No matter what someone who isn't a "Certified" welder shows a weld, the professionals pile on ... to hot ... to cold ... to fast ... and the best one, "all your welds are crap and you shouldn't be showing them on a welding site." That last one was someone trying to show how various welding rods produce a weld. The guy was trying to help and he got endless grief for it. I absolutely know my welds are crap, but I'm trying and my welds are far better than they once were. My father was a certified welder so I know what a good weld looks like.

Last edited by Hedgehog; 09-24-2016 at 04:10 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:
Lumpy Grits (09-24-2016)

Old 09-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #20
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

I bought a Klutch 140 from Northern tool. All the features at 1/2 the price.

FREE SHIPPING Klutch MIG 140SI Flux-Core/MIG Welder 115V, 140 Amp, Inverter-Powered | MIG Flux Core Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

I have been very impressed with it. If I still welded for a living I would have given more thought to name brands but for something that is "just for fun" I would stack it up with any bodies 115/140 amp machine. It will even carry a spool gun if I want.

I find the 2# spools are a PITA and the c-25 tank is way too small but it is actually rather hard to make a ugly weld. Of course I would not use it for anything heavier than 10 ga. I also have a Miller 225 HF that will GTAW and SMAW for any thing heavier.

All that said, I think you made an excellent choice and had a great bit of luck to find one used for a good price.

I would suggest to anyone reading this that it is an excellent habit to use a wiper pad on the wire before it enters the feed rollers/wire conduit, in my experience the most common problems occur when the inside of the conduit become restricted with dust carried in with the wire and even though these machines do a good job or enclosing the wire and feed rollers , for the cost of a piece of tack rag and a spring clip it is good insurance.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.