Default Small chainsaw???? 

Old 01-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

It has been a very long time since I've worked on or been around a chainsaw. Lately I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a small chain saw along for the occasional tree down across the trail. I'm looking for advice on a decent small saw. When looking at saws there are a whole bunch of them that I've NEVER heard of and none of the ones that were around when a chainsaw was an everyday part of my life. About the only one I'm familiar with is the Stihl and the Husqvarna. Both are or were well worth their rather hefty asking price, but for relatively light, very occasional use I'm wondering if some of the less expensive offerings would work well enough. Essentially I'm open to any advice you can offer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Small chainsaw???? 

Old 01-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Old Dog
Need a Life Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 350 tbi, TH350, D300 twin sticked & clocked, narrowed Chief D44 Eaton Elocker & Moser shafts, Explorer 8.8 Detroit locker, 410's, RE 4.5" spring lift 1" body lift, 35" Claws, cage tied to frame, Corbeau baja seats, HD tie rod and draglink, u-bolts flipped, custom skid plate and sliders, Warn 9.5ti winch with Amsteel synthetic line

As with everything else you usually get what you pay for. So for me all my saws are Stihl. It seems like the people with the off brands always have problems after they use them a few times.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Torxhead
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s

Hedge, Echo is another brand to consider. I think carrying some of the larger tools can be a bit much, especially with the extra gas and safety items, unless you are sure you are going to need that stuff. I carry a 2 ft. bow saw for just in case stuff along with tow strap, clevis, chain, and snatch block to get that stuff off the trail. If it has already fallen, hopefully you can just drag it.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
hdgapeach
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Right now, only one '76 CJ5. 304 with a three speed stick. Everything else is pretty much stock 'cept for a 4" suspension lift. Came to me with a back breakin' 4" suspension lift attached to a reverse shackle setup (Reversed the reverse shackle crap and now she rides like a Caddy!) Also posess a few 60s & 70s Mustangs and a couple of late 70's F150s 4X4s.

Stihl and Husqvarna is the way to go. As stated, you get what you pay for. BUT! A homeowner quality saw sounds like what you're interested in (correct me if I'm reading you wrong).

I have a couple of professional sized Husky's that cost mega bucks and a couple of homeowner style Husky's I use for limbing and cleanup. For occasional use clearing trails and off road roadbeds, I think a Husqvarna 440 or 435 would fill your bill, maybe even a 240. All three are rather light weight and are decent quality saws that'll last you many years if you take care of them. Lowes sells all three, if I ain't mistaken. Compare all three to a similar sized professional Husky and you'll see there's at least a $200 difference!

Saw tip: Use regular unleaded gasoline that does NOT contain ethanol. The plastic internals will appreciate you for that!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Yeah, I'm thinking about the little guys for several reasons. One is the size, I don't want to carry around a lot of junk that I'll likely never need. Two, I don't want an environmental cop of any type thinking that I'm out to harvest wood. A big professional quality saw might give the wrong impression. Three, naturally the cost of ownership could get in the way. I don't want to loose a valuable saw to a thief. Then there's noise, I imagine a home owners saw will be quieter than a professional saw. If I need to fire a saw up the last thing I want to do I create a scene in the woods.

When I was young it seemed like there was always a saw in my hands, but that was long ago and another life. So, even though it's appealing to get a MANS saw the reality is I simply don't need a saw with a 4' blade anymore.

Torxhead - you are right, I will have an ax, shovel and rope along so a saw isn't likely to be a need, but you really never know.

hdgapeach - Thank you, that is exactly what I need. I'll take a look at those models. For fuel I've been considering Aviation fuel. I won't need a lot of it and from what I understand it lasts far longer than any modern day fuel. As we all know, fuel left in the tank is death for motors, especially small ones that don't get used a lot.

Here's a question - Do saws still need mixed fuel or do they run an oil injector now similar to motorcycles?

Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Torxhead
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s

Yeah, but how would it look with one of these suckers hanging on the back of your Jeep? :MS 880 STIHL Magnum® Chain Saw - Professional Use Chainsaw | STIHL USA Mobile

Old 01-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
hdgapeach
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Right now, only one '76 CJ5. 304 with a three speed stick. Everything else is pretty much stock 'cept for a 4" suspension lift. Came to me with a back breakin' 4" suspension lift attached to a reverse shackle setup (Reversed the reverse shackle crap and now she rides like a Caddy!) Also posess a few 60s & 70s Mustangs and a couple of late 70's F150s 4X4s.

The saws I mentioned are mixed 50:1.

You're right. Smaller ones are a whole lot quieter than the pro ones. I use ear plugs AND over the ear muffs when I use the big ones.

At my age, all I use the pro saws for anymore is felling and bucking. The smaller saws do the rest of the work. My back can't put up with the weight like it used to. No problems while I'm working the saws. It's the next morning when I try to get out of the bed to go find the motrin; that's what kills me .

The Following User Says Thank You to hdgapeach For This Useful Post:
Posi (01-16-2015)

Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Tommy
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ5 258 I6 engine, T18A Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case, AMC 20 rear end, Dana 30 up front.

Here is a site that ranks seven chainsaws. I would think any of them would work for what you want and keep the budget in check.

Chainsaw Reviews - Best Chainsaws - Popular Mechanics

Old 01-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper

Tommy - I read that article yesterday, but you know how it is, I'd rather hear from someone that uses a saw than some writer I have nothing in common with.

hdgapeach - The need to mix fuel was the impression I got from the article mentioned above. Muffs, who needs those stinkin' muffs and who needs to hear bird song either ... or little kids .... or your wife, what wife, mine hated the fact that I couldn't hear her every word and refused to help me hear her better.

Torxhead - When I was young Dutch Elm disease took all the grand old Elms that were around most of the farm fields where I grew up. After splitters became popular, some elms would split nicely, most others were awful to split, we cut a lot of elm, most if not many were so large to get them on the ground we'd have to box cut'em even with a 4' blade. Big trees, big saws.

Between my grandfather being a state forester, my father logging for tax money and the Christmas tree plantation we used a chain saw quite a bit. Our favorite saw was my grandfathers old blue Homelite, yes blue, before they were red. That was a great old saw, it would go all day. That was until I cut a maple that jumped off the stump and crushed the old girl. But the old gal refused to quit. While I was in the service Dad found another parts saw, used the red cases to replace the broken ones and the old girl went back in the woods. It always was a bad day remembered to see a red and blue hybrid out in the woods bucking up logs. The mistakes we live with later.....

Most saws die an early death from sitting around doing nothing. That old Homelite was proof positive that a well exercised chainsaw can last a very long time.

Last edited by Hedgehog; 01-15-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
Tommy
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ5 258 I6 engine, T18A Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case, AMC 20 rear end, Dana 30 up front.

Just to clarify a little. I once cut pulp wood for a living and was handy with a saw for many years. If I was to get one now for what you are talking about it would be a Homelite. Easy to use, dependable and can take a licking. Used one for years without any trouble.

Tommy