Default Re: Cleaning Steel? 

Old 11-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
All information is helpfull. Forge welding, I've been thinking about building a forge. Blacksmithing has always fascinated me. So, the question on removing scale is multi faceted.

A wire wheel on my grinder is a must. Unfortunately I can't always get into the tight spaces, even with a hand held brush. No fans in my work area.
blacksmithing is , for a fact, very cool. I suggest you contact your local blacksmith assn. or perhaps check out the Artist blacksmith assn. , ABANA, to help you get started. A whole new world will be opened to you.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 11-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Good idea. My supervisor is does some blacksmithing I have always found it fascinating. I do worry about the noise and my neighbors. They have been tolerant of my CJ work and welding, but I'm not so sure about beating on metal. Then there is the price of a good anvil OMG! Every farm had at least one when I was growing up. Like finding treasure I guess. $700 at least and far more can easily be spent on an anvil. We had a coal forge that just sat around. What we didn't know we had back then. My forge would be gas, not coal.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 11-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
jpeck71
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ5 258 6cyl - 3sp T-150 - Dana20 TC - 2.5 inch spring lift - PO body lift - stock axles - 2bbl Intake and Holley 2300 carb - glasspack muffler - 31x10.5x15

One of the smiths on Forged in Fire (History Channel) used a coal forge in a cast iron skillet and his air source was a blow dryer taped to a pipe nipple that fit into a hole drilled in the skillet. I couldn't believe it! The skillet wasn't big enough to make a sword in so he found a metal satellite dish and wedged the skillet in it so he could have a bigger pile of coal.

I've also been curious about it but would only be interested in doing it once just so I could experience it. I can see myself building a skillet forge but I don't know where I'd get an anvil. I certainly don't want to spend $700 on one and I would only be interested in making a knife.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #14
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Yeah, I saw that show. Coal forging is a difficult messy process. A propane forge is surprisingly easy to build, most anything can be used. Its popular to use small propane tanks lined with one kind of insulation or another. Brick, batting, even concrete will work. The nozzles are easy to build or buy. For less than $50 you can have a usable forge ,,,,, sure it is easy to spend a lot more than that.

Like the show not specifically for the items being forged, but for a look at the little things like equipment and methods being used. My friend makes most anything other than knives or weapons. He likes to make snakes and lizards out of old rasps and files or leaves or any one of a bunch of forged wall art. Me, I'd make knives and a sword would be cool.

If you are only doing a little forging a decent anvil can be made from a piece of rail road rail. Heavy iron like that can be used for any number of uses where pounding on stuff id necessary, even for little stuff like punching metal to drill holes. Most every week I find myself wishing that I had an anvil.

Last edited by Hedgehog; 11-15-2016 at 10:02 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:
jpeck71 (11-15-2016)

Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 PM   #15
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

getting a gas forge above 2100 deg., welding temperature, is a bit of a trick but a coal forge does it easily. Coal is more fun but gas does not give you black boogers.

Go to a local hammer in and I bet you will find someone that gives seminars. couple hundred and a weekend meet some nice people and have a lot of fun. find out if it is something you want to get into.

Short section of rail road track makes pretty good first anvil. My first forge was a brake drum with brick dirt in it and an old Kirby vacuum cleaner with a rheostat.

coolest thing about smithing is making square holes.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #16
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper

There is a guy up North in Camp Verde that gives a great work shop on forging. My friend attended it a year or so ago and came away with great things to say about it. It was pricey though well worth it.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #17
Peanut Butter
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 Jeep CJ7 TH400 Automatic 258 I6 Quadratrac Amc 20 rear & Dana 30 front, 32 x 11.5 x 15 tires. Currently a Complete Custom Rebuild in progress. Also I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, White, all stock with 4.0L. automatic, and police package. Best part of that is it came with leather seats! I use it as my emergency response vehicle for all County emergencies. LED Lightbar installed on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPort51 View Post
getting a gas forge above 2100 deg., welding temperature, is a bit of a trick but a coal forge does it easily. Coal is more fun but gas does not give you black boogers.

Go to a local hammer in and I bet you will find someone that gives seminars. couple hundred and a weekend meet some nice people and have a lot of fun. find out if it is something you want to get into.

Short section of rail road track makes pretty good first anvil. My first forge was a brake drum with brick dirt in it and an old Kirby vacuum cleaner with a rheostat.

coolest thing about smithing is making square holes.
Anything you haven't done, IO? Wholly Cow, I need to come spend a couple weeks with you. Do you take on Interns?