Default Cleaning Steel? 

Old 11-11-2016, 01:29 AM   #1
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

This is a relevant question for most anybody working with new rolled steel. There must be an easier way to clean the coating off raw rolled steel than using a flap wheel to clean it off for a quality weld. Most any advice would be appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Cleaning Steel? 

Old 11-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,102 Posts
Is this the 'scale' rust coating or?

LG

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 11-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
HackFabrication
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ5 2017 Grand Cherokee Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
Is this the 'scale' rust coating or?
I'm going to assume he's talking about mill scale that would be present on hot rolled steel. Most cold rolled steel will only have surface rust or trace lube from processing.

If it's hot rolled steel, and depending on the size of the piece, I either run it through the sandblast cabinet, or get the angle grinder out.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Yes it's the hot rolled steel scale. I was hoping there would be some sort of chemical method for removal. This stuff even resists cleaning with an angle grinders flap wheel. It can be done but it's tedious and now that the job is done darned near impossible to do. I've more or less completed an 8274 Winch plate (highly modified H-F plate), now for the finishing. Maybe I'll send it to the powder coater. They will sand blast it before coating, but it's pricey process.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
HackFabrication
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ5 2017 Grand Cherokee Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Yes it's the hot rolled steel scale. I was hoping there would be some sort of chemical method for removal.
Muriatic acid will strip it. But it's a nasty and somewhat dangerous process. I'm done a number of small pieces with it, but the larger ones are a different story.

Best to get it blasted. I use a medium grit aluminum oxide in my cabinet.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,102 Posts
Do you have a 'jitter-bug' type sander like what is used in body work?
I have had good luck with them in removing that dang scale for welding etc.
LG

Old 11-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
Muriatic acid will strip it. But it's a nasty and somewhat dangerous process. I'm done a number of small pieces with it, but the larger ones are a different story.

Best to get it blasted. I use a medium grit aluminum oxide in my cabinet.
Muriatic will turn it white but not remove it. I fail to see the problem, are you making bad welds? Hot rolled is what hot rolled is.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper

On various shows they mention that the slag has to be removed for clean welds, especially for MIG welding where things need to be clean. The edges are easy enough to clean before welding. It's the over all flat area's that are no fun. Then there can be issues in painting. It's also bad for a forging process like forge or hammer welding. A while ago there was a show called "Big Giant Swords". In one of the episodes he used some sort of a process where he made a shallow container, laid his metal in it and added a chemical (not acid, it could have been vinegar) that over time lifted or loosened the slag to be wire brushed off. Unfortunately I can not remember what he used.

I recently gave my sand blaster to a friend. It was given to m and I ran out of room to store it in the garage. There is a company that sand blasted my roll bar so I think I'll be using them. Part of the advantage of sand blasting is to clean tight areas for I can't get to.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:47 PM   #9
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

there is a difference between slag and mill scale. SMAW stick welds and flux cored wire should be brushed between passes for best results to remove slag. I use a brush on a 4" grinder. GSMA Welds with gas shielded hard wire will be more affected by oil or paint, anything that contaminated the gas shield and air movement that blows the shield away, Do not try to mig weld in front of a fan.

Forge welding is a completely different proposition and it is a rather slim chance you will have need of it.

My powder coater blasts everything before paint and the rino coat would need something in the 30 grit flex disk range

I hope this is of some help to you.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper

All information is helpfull. Forge welding, I've been thinking about building a forge. Blacksmithing has always fascinated me. So, the question on removing scale is multi faceted.

A wire wheel on my grinder is a must. Unfortunately I can't always get into the tight spaces, even with a hand held brush. No fans in my work area.