Default Wiring Harness Terminals/Connectors 

Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Gungho
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '78 cj5 258 straight 6, 3 speed manual, hei distributor, motorcraft 2100 carb with electric choke.

I'm looking into installing a new wiring harness on my 78 cj5. I see that most of the harness kits don't come with all of the terminals/connectors. Do most people just use the original ones or is it pretty easy to find new ones? I know painless has a kit that is pre terminated, but it's too expensive for my budget.

Any recommendations on wiring harness kits you have used would also be helpful.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Wiring Harness Terminals/Connectors 

Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Peanut Butter
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 Jeep CJ7 TH400 Automatic 258 I6 Quadratrac Amc 20 rear & Dana 30 front, 32 x 11.5 x 15 tires. Currently a Complete Custom Rebuild in progress. Also I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, White, all stock with 4.0L. automatic, and police package. Best part of that is it came with leather seats! I use it as my emergency response vehicle for all County emergencies. LED Lightbar installed on top.

I rebuilt mine rather then buying a new one. You can see some of it in my build thread. If you connectors are in good shape, you can reuse them. Otherwise there are places that sell what you need. ( https://www.repairconnector.com/ ) I would also suggest a good wiring diagram such as one of these: https://colorwiringdiagrams.com/prod...1978-cj-5-cj-7

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you do one circuit at a time, and test it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Peanut Butter For This Useful Post:
squishware (10-05-2018)

Old 09-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Gungho
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '78 cj5 258 straight 6, 3 speed manual, hei distributor, motorcraft 2100 carb with electric choke.

Thanks. That website with connectors should help. I was worried itd be too hard to find new ones if needed.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
Peanut Butter
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 Jeep CJ7 TH400 Automatic 258 I6 Quadratrac Amc 20 rear & Dana 30 front, 32 x 11.5 x 15 tires. Currently a Complete Custom Rebuild in progress. Also I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, White, all stock with 4.0L. automatic, and police package. Best part of that is it came with leather seats! I use it as my emergency response vehicle for all County emergencies. LED Lightbar installed on top.

https://www.mcmaster.com/ This is another good place to save for weird stuff you can't find anywhere else.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
JimsCJ5
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ5 Renegade 258, t-18 pretty much stock except for a later model aluminum intake manifold and Gronk 2150.

I am in the same boat. The wiring on the '79 is a ticking time bomb with strange splices and dangling wires. Look at this mess:
Is there a source for the stock fuse box?
Attached Thumbnails
jeep-wiring.jpg  

Old 10-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
76cj7chick
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter. Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p

Hey Gunho,

If money is no object you could look into Painless master wiring kits.
Or if money is tight- check out EZ wiring harness kits.
Another option, like Peanutbutter said, is to build your own.

I like Delphi brand quick disconnects. EBay generally has good deals on terminals connectors and rubber keepers.
Make sure you get the correct gauge terminals for your wires. (generally 14-16 gauge) but also available in other sizes like 20g, 18g etc.

Its been awhile, but If I remember correctly, Delphi brand quick disconnect terminal (rubber) keepers come in specific colors:
14-16 gauge -gray
18-20 gauge -green (knock off brand is generally red)
12 gauge -blue

Good luck and happy JEEPN! 😉

Old 11-27-2018, 12:52 AM   #7
19 Adam
Same CJ since 1981
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '81 CJ5, GM151,

In the kind of the same boat and decided to go with an aftermarket wiring harness. Anyone know of someone that does side work on CJ's in the Portland metro area.

I added a Warn winch and dual battery setup several years ago and it turned out great. I'm to the point now that I need a little help on some new added electrical since I don't know how to tie everything together to work properly.

First off I just added LED headlight bulbs since I can't see as well on the dark wet roads as I used to. Hit my first roadblock. Several years ago a buddy was helping me do a little work and tried to replace the OEM headlight dimmer switch. He ended up just throwing the cheap after market one away and somehow just connecting the wires up to make it permanent low beam.

With the new headlights I now have no turn signals.

I am sure/hope this will all work out if I start from scratch while I add the new wiring harnesses. If I were 35 again I'd just dive in until it was done.

Just looking for someone with experience who does side work on CJ's.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
DaveMueller
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '76 CJ5 with an '88 258 from a YJ. AMC20, D30, D20, T150.

The flat blade terminals began life as a "Packard 56" series. The company was bought/sold about a zillion times - Delco, Delphi and now Aptiv. They come by wire size, just like the yellow/blue/red crimp terminals. Several companies sell kits with a bunch of male and female terminals, and 1, 2 or 3 cavity connectors. You can get the terminals from NAPA, they call them "GM 56". The bigger (5/16") ones for headlights are 59s.

American Autowire has a harness with a very oem looking fuse box (blade style), I'm thinking about calling them to see if they'll sell just the bulkhead connector and fuse box. They also carry terminals.

If you're buying wire, I'd recommend the newer GXL jacketed wire instead of PVC. A few places sell the colors with tracers too.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:57 AM   #9
Scout1067
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCJ5 View Post
I am in the same boat. The wiring on the '79 is a ticking time bomb with strange splices and dangling wires. Look at this mess:
Is there a source for the stock fuse box?
That looks like you took a picture under my Dashboard. I have a Painless replacement harness in my future.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Peanut Butter
Old Time Jeeper

I would suggest that anyone that is having wiring issues buy a colored wire diagram. This is where I got mine: https://colorwiringdiagrams.com/ With this it was very easy to rebuild my own which save a ton of money.