Default Re: Temp gauge wiring 

Old 05-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
Tectron
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ7, T176 Trans, 304 CID, 300 tc, Summit HEI Dist, Edelbrock intake, carb and cam, stock diffs 4.56 gears with Front and rear lockrites, Family Cage, 15x10x12.5 BFG MT's, 4" lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglax6 View Post
Sending unit is either a replacement that doesn't match the resistance range of the temp gauge, or the sending unit is bad.

Get a voltmeter and check resistance between the S terminal and ground. Readings for stock temp sensor:
Cold, you should get a high or infinite reading.
Slightly warm - ~73ohms
Between bands - 36-13ohms
Hot - ~9ohms

To check the gauge itself, voltage from A terminal to ground should be somewhere around 5v. If it reads 12v, then the voltage regulator in the fuel gauge is shot. It won't read zero because your gauge is doing something. If it reads zero, call a priest.

My guess is your sender is aftermarket and not designed for the resistance range that the gauge wants to see...or you're running hot. I could be wrong, but there isn't much more that it could be...especially if you get the needle to move when the engine is running.
Im leaning to the sensor, as stated b4 the gauge keeps going up. The 304 in the Jeep has an after market Intake so it might be the wrong sensor, Ill check using the values you provided, Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 05-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
cglax6
Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '76 CJ5, 304, T18/D20, D44 (open), D30 (open), 2.5" BDS spring lift, 31x10.5x15 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectron View Post
the Jeep has an after market Intake so it might be the wrong sensor
My temp gauge isn't working properly (at all), but I just haven't had the desire to tackle it just yet. I have Jeep project ADHD right now and I'm sticking to the things that I know will give me the least amount of frustration.

My temp sensor is caked in Krylon and there's a whole mess of disconnected wires. I need to get at it soon, though. Maybe I'll pull the voltmeter out before my club meeting tonight...you've inspired me! Ha!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 05-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #13
Tectron
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ7, T176 Trans, 304 CID, 300 tc, Summit HEI Dist, Edelbrock intake, carb and cam, stock diffs 4.56 gears with Front and rear lockrites, Family Cage, 15x10x12.5 BFG MT's, 4" lift.

Quote:
Sending unit is either a replacement that doesn't match the resistance range of the temp gauge, or the sending unit is bad.

Get a voltmeter and check resistance between the S terminal and ground. Readings for stock temp sensor:
Cold, you should get a high or infinite reading.
Slightly warm - ~73ohms
Between bands - 36-13ohms
Hot - ~9ohms

To check the gauge itself, voltage from A terminal to ground should be somewhere around 5v. If it reads 12v, then the voltage regulator in the fuel gauge is shot. It won't read zero because your gauge is doing something. If it reads zero, call a priest.

My guess is your sender is aftermarket and not designed for the resistance range that the gauge wants to see...or you're running hot. I could be wrong, but there isn't much more that it could be...especially if you get the needle to move when the engine is running.
So bad news, 12v not 5v

Does that mean that the fuel gauge is also toast ? Its not working either btw.

Last edited by Tectron; 05-02-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
cglax6
Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '76 CJ5, 304, T18/D20, D44 (open), D30 (open), 2.5" BDS spring lift, 31x10.5x15 tires

Probably why it would peg out. Too much voltage. The regulator in the fuel gauge is bad. Don't ask me about that one! Ha!

Not sure if you can replace the fuel gauge in there or not.

Whatever you do, don't buy Omix crap. You're better off calling a Jeep yard for something like this.

Sent via Google translate using braille through Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to cglax6 For This Useful Post:
Tectron (05-02-2019)

Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,102 Posts
Could be a bad dash GND.
Run a dedicated wire from the dash panel to the NEG(-)of the battery.
Common issue with old CJ's
LG

The Following User Says Thank You to Lumpy Grits For This Useful Post:
Tectron (05-02-2019)

Old 05-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #16
Tectron
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Probably why it would peg out. Too much voltage. The regulator in the fuel gauge is bad. Don't ask me about that one! Ha!

Not sure if you can replace the fuel gauge in there or not.

Whatever you do, don't buy Omix crap. You're better off calling a Jeep yard for something like this.

So did a lot of searching on the matter of the Gauges, Yes you can get replacements and they are Omix, for the set of Gauges its 35 bucks and easy to replace. Grounding is a major cause for the gauges to go bad from what i've read.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #17
Tectron
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
Could be a bad dash GND.
Run a dedicated wire from the dash panel to the NEG(-)of the battery.
Common issue with old CJ's
LG
I might try the replacements from Omix, People who have had the best luck with them are making VERY good grounds to them.

To be clear, a bad ground wouldn't change the voltage coming from the fuel gage to the temp gauge would it ?

Old 05-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
cglax6
Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

It could. The ground for the temp gauge lives in the fuel gauge. If the fuel gauge is getting bad ground, then so will the temp gauge.

So, when you tested the S post for voltage, did you make sure you were on DC? And also, that voltage pulses all over the place. I just tested mine (which works by the way...the wire wasn't on the sender) and it was giving me mostly 0v, but would pulse every now and again.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #19
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,102 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM OMIX! China JUNK!!
Call these guys and see what they have.
https://www.willysworks.com/

I trust my mechanical gauges over ele.
Give these a looky.
Comp II Performance Auto Gauges

LG

Old 05-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #20
Tectron
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
It could. The ground for the temp gauge lives in the fuel gauge. If the fuel gauge is getting bad ground, then so will the temp gauge.

So, when you tested the S post for voltage, did you make sure you were on DC? And also, that voltage pulses all over the place. I just tested mine (which works by the way...the wire wasn't on the sender) and it was giving me mostly 0v, but would pulse every now and again.

I had the wire off of the sender, Yep on DC, I didn't get any voltage jumping it was steady at close to 12v.