Default Replacement Seats 

Old 03-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
Flundertaker
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock . .

I am looking to replace my factory 1986 Garnet Red seats with something bolt in in Spice or Nutmeg color. I dont need recline, heat, massage, 5 pt cut outs or any other whiz bang bell or whistle. Simple bolt in factory replacement. Whats my easiest and most solid option. Notice I didnt say cheapest. I dont want something that will end with a broken seat frame in 12 months, stripped mounting fasteners or a seat height that is 3" higher than stock and results in my legs being wedged under the steering wheel. Suggestions?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Replacement Seats 

Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
mdeluca
Old Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ7, 258, T5, D30, D44, D300

Make: Bestop
Model: Trailmax II
Passenger: 3945037
Driver: 3945137
Material: Vinyl
Color: Spice

Installed these over a year ago and am completely satisfied with the quality, the appearance, the durability, the cleanability, and the comfort. I also think they aren't too space age looking for the vintage CJ.

They also recline... which is nice even if you don't think you want it. It makes it easier to get into the area behind the seats.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
caveman
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 88 YJ with a CJ nose, 4.7 Stroker, AW4 transmission, Dana 35 HP front Ford 8.8 rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flundertaker View Post
I am looking to replace my factory 1986 Garnet Red seats with something bolt in in Spice or Nutmeg color. I dont need recline, heat, massage, 5 pt cut outs or any other whiz bang bell or whistle. Simple bolt in factory replacement. Whats my easiest and most solid option. Notice I didnt say cheapest. I dont want something that will end with a broken seat frame in 12 months, stripped mounting fasteners or a seat height that is 3" higher than stock and results in my legs being wedged under the steering wheel. Suggestions?
I have a set of the cheapest Bestop high back seats. Very comfy in my opinion. They are 1" higher and longer than stock seats. I just cut down the drivers side seat mount to make them fit for me.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

I have a set of Bestop high back seats that are probably approaching 30 years old and are still in very good shape. Got my money worth out of them for sure.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Masscj7
Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ7, SBC 350, Dana 300, D30, AMC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I have a set of the cheapest Bestop high back seats. Very comfy in my opinion. They are 1" higher and longer than stock seats. I just cut down the drivers side seat mount to make them fit for me.
Did you have any issues with the seat folding forward after cutting an inch out? Where did you take out the material? I have the Rugged Ridge ones and itís either a diet or cut the foam or brackets? Dieting has never been overall successful of gaining a few extra inches lol

Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
Flundertaker
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeluca View Post
Make: Bestop
Model: Trailmax II
Passenger: 3945037
Driver: 3945137
Material: Vinyl
Color: Spice

Installed these over a year ago and am completely satisfied with the quality, the appearance, the durability, the cleanability, and the comfort. I also think they aren't too space age looking for the vintage CJ.

They also recline... which is nice even if you don't think you want it. It makes it easier to get into the area behind the seats.
There a bunch of recent reviews of these seats, not very flattering. It seems that maybe the quality has declined from what they used to be. For almost $700 for a pair I would have pretty high expectations.
Curious if anyone has first hand experience with the Corbeau Moab seats. They are bolt in for a CJ and run $520 for a pair and are available in Spice and tan.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #7
caveman
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 88 YJ with a CJ nose, 4.7 Stroker, AW4 transmission, Dana 35 HP front Ford 8.8 rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masscj7 View Post
Did you have any issues with the seat folding forward after cutting an inch out? Where did you take out the material? I have the Rugged Ridge ones and itís either a diet or cut the foam or brackets? Dieting has never been overall successful of gaining a few extra inches lol
I cut the brackets. It wasn't a fold and tumble seat bracket so it doesn't fold forward anyway. I know all about the diet thing. 6'and 300# makes for a full jeep seat.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
mdeluca
Old Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ7, 258, T5, D30, D44, D300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flundertaker View Post
There a bunch of recent reviews of these seats, not very flattering. It seems that maybe the quality has declined from what they used to be. For almost $700 for a pair I would have pretty high expectations.
Curious if anyone has first hand experience with the Corbeau Moab seats. They are bolt in for a CJ and run $520 for a pair and are available in Spice and tan.
I did consider the Corbeau, but couldn't get past the modern look. Amazon reviews average 4-4.5 stars today... so not sure about that. I paid $630 in November 2017, but sold my stock seats for $530 so it wasn't bad for me.