Default Replacement Seats 

Old 03-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
Flundertaker is offline
Flundertaker
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0 Flundertaker is on a distinguished road
I am looking to replace my factory 1986 Garnet Red seats with something bolt in in Spice or Nutmeg color. I dont need recline, heat, massage, 5 pt cut outs or any other whiz bang bell or whistle. Simple bolt in factory replacement. Whats my easiest and most solid option. Notice I didnt say cheapest. I dont want something that will end with a broken seat frame in 12 months, stripped mounting fasteners or a seat height that is 3" higher than stock and results in my legs being wedged under the steering wheel. Suggestions?

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote


Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Replacement Seats 

Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
mdeluca is offline
mdeluca
Old Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ7, 258, T5, D30, D44, D300
 
mdeluca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 823
Thanks: 89
Thanked 266 Times in 198 Posts
Rep Power: 4 mdeluca is on a distinguished road
Make: Bestop
Model: Trailmax II
Passenger: 3945037
Driver: 3945137
Material: Vinyl
Color: Spice



Installed these over a year ago and am completely satisfied with the quality, the appearance, the durability, the cleanability, and the comfort. I also think they aren't too space age looking for the vintage CJ.

They also recline... which is nice even if you don't think you want it. It makes it easier to get into the area behind the seats.
__________________
Mike --- 1986 CJ7 (mid-year), 258, T5, D30, D44, D300
MY BUILD THREAD --- 1986jeeprestoration.blogspot.com

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Replacement Seats 

Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
caveman is offline
caveman
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 88 YJ with a CJ nose, 4.7 Stroker, AW4 transmission, Dana 35 HP front Ford 8.8 rear
 
caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Maine
Age: 69
Posts: 789
Thanks: 11
Thanked 265 Times in 177 Posts
Rep Power: 7 caveman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flundertaker View Post
I am looking to replace my factory 1986 Garnet Red seats with something bolt in in Spice or Nutmeg color. I dont need recline, heat, massage, 5 pt cut outs or any other whiz bang bell or whistle. Simple bolt in factory replacement. Whats my easiest and most solid option. Notice I didnt say cheapest. I dont want something that will end with a broken seat frame in 12 months, stripped mounting fasteners or a seat height that is 3" higher than stock and results in my legs being wedged under the steering wheel. Suggestions?
I have a set of the cheapest Bestop high back seats. Very comfy in my opinion. They are 1" higher and longer than stock seats. I just cut down the drivers side seat mount to make them fit for me.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Replacement Seats 

Old 03-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Belizean is offline
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker
 
Belizean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New Orleans area
Age: 61
Posts: 2,221
Images: 4
Thanks: 654
Thanked 439 Times in 401 Posts
Rep Power: 6 Belizean is on a distinguished road
I have a set of Bestop high back seats that are probably approaching 30 years old and are still in very good shape. Got my money worth out of them for sure.
__________________
Living the dream here on earth, but it's turning into nightmare on Uranus

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Replacement Seats 

Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Masscj7 is offline
Masscj7
Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ7, SBC 350, Dana 300, D30, AMC20
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Springfield, MA
Posts: 232
Images: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 2 Masscj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I have a set of the cheapest Bestop high back seats. Very comfy in my opinion. They are 1" higher and longer than stock seats. I just cut down the drivers side seat mount to make them fit for me.
Did you have any issues with the seat folding forward after cutting an inch out? Where did you take out the material? I have the Rugged Ridge ones and itís either a diet or cut the foam or brackets? Dieting has never been overall successful of gaining a few extra inches lol

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Replacement Seats 

Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
Flundertaker is offline
Flundertaker
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0 Flundertaker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeluca View Post
Make: Bestop
Model: Trailmax II
Passenger: 3945037
Driver: 3945137
Material: Vinyl
Color: Spice



Installed these over a year ago and am completely satisfied with the quality, the appearance, the durability, the cleanability, and the comfort. I also think they aren't too space age looking for the vintage CJ.

They also recline... which is nice even if you don't think you want it. It makes it easier to get into the area behind the seats.
There a bunch of recent reviews of these seats, not very flattering. It seems that maybe the quality has declined from what they used to be. For almost $700 for a pair I would have pretty high expectations.
Curious if anyone has first hand experience with the Corbeau Moab seats. They are bolt in for a CJ and run $520 for a pair and are available in Spice and tan.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Replacement Seats 

Old 03-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #7
caveman is offline
caveman
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 88 YJ with a CJ nose, 4.7 Stroker, AW4 transmission, Dana 35 HP front Ford 8.8 rear
 
caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Maine
Age: 69
Posts: 789
Thanks: 11
Thanked 265 Times in 177 Posts
Rep Power: 7 caveman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masscj7 View Post
Did you have any issues with the seat folding forward after cutting an inch out? Where did you take out the material? I have the Rugged Ridge ones and itís either a diet or cut the foam or brackets? Dieting has never been overall successful of gaining a few extra inches lol
I cut the brackets. It wasn't a fold and tumble seat bracket so it doesn't fold forward anyway. I know all about the diet thing. 6'and 300# makes for a full jeep seat.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Replacement Seats 

Old 03-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
mdeluca is offline
mdeluca
Old Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1986 CJ7, 258, T5, D30, D44, D300
 
mdeluca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 823
Thanks: 89
Thanked 266 Times in 198 Posts
Rep Power: 4 mdeluca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flundertaker View Post
There a bunch of recent reviews of these seats, not very flattering. It seems that maybe the quality has declined from what they used to be. For almost $700 for a pair I would have pretty high expectations.
Curious if anyone has first hand experience with the Corbeau Moab seats. They are bolt in for a CJ and run $520 for a pair and are available in Spice and tan.
I did consider the Corbeau, but couldn't get past the modern look. Amazon reviews average 4-4.5 stars today... so not sure about that. I paid $630 in November 2017, but sold my stock seats for $530 so it wasn't bad for me.
__________________
Mike --- 1986 CJ7 (mid-year), 258, T5, D30, D44, D300
MY BUILD THREAD --- 1986jeeprestoration.blogspot.com

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
replacement , seats


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a good junkyard replacement for front seats and slider track for a cj7 Garymyers3 Chassis and Body 10 10-11-2017 01:57 PM
CJ Seats tarry99 Chassis and Body 6 07-18-2013 10:41 PM
Big guy replacement seats viking4949 Chassis and Body 15 06-24-2012 09:39 AM
Replacement Seats RageOn Chassis and Body 5 11-16-2011 05:19 PM
Replacement seats opinions? MAK82 Chassis and Body 6 08-11-2010 11:56 PM


Vote for Jeep-CJ.com