Default Painless Wiring Harness for Electrical Newbies?? 

Old 06-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
jzak
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ5/258 4.2L I6, Tremec T-176 4-speed, Dana 300, Power Steering, Howell Throttle Body Injection System, Warn Locking Hubs, Warn Rock Crawler front/rear bumper with Tire Swing Carrier, Full Roll Cage, Pro Comp ES9000 shocks

Hey All,

Wanted to get a first hand perspective on installing a 21 Circuit Direct Fit Painless wiring harness for a CJ. How much of a learning curve am I getting into? FYI, I've got a Howell TBI kit. Could it be done over a weekend with some beer and duct-tape, or am i looking at weeks of pain and suffering? I've installed things like a winch and off-road lights, but rewiring an entire electrical system seem like a daunting task to me.

Also, are there any cheaper Painless Harness alternatives out there which are still good quality? Would be nice to save a few bucks.

Thanks!

Josh

Last edited by jzak; 06-28-2019 at 10:53 PM..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Painless Wiring Harness for Electrical Newbies?? 

Old 06-28-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
jfmcj7
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1985 CJ7 2012 2 Door Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzak View Post
Hey All,

Wanted to get a first hand perspective on installing a 21 Circuit Direct Fit Painless wiring harness for a CJ. How much of a learning curve am I getting into? FYI, I've got a Howell TBI kit. Could it be done over a weekend with some beer and duct-tape, or am i looking at weeks of pain and suffering? I've installed things like a winch and off-road lights, but rewiring an entire electrical system seem like a daunting task to me.

Also, are there any cheaper Painless Harness alternatives out there which are still good quality? Would be nice to save a few bucks.

Thanks!

Josh
The dash and all the lights part is not bad and I did it myself in a day and a half. The engine part is a hole different story. I got so frustrated that I towed the Jeep to my local Jeep guy and they finished it up. I also have the Howell kit on mine.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to jfmcj7 For This Useful Post:
jzak (07-01-2019)

Old 06-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #3
jdcxyz
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '79 CJ7 AMC 304, '70 Chevelle SS 454

I got a Painless harness for my '79 CJ7, it's been a piece of cake. Every single wire is labeled the entire length of the wire, and there are plenty of extra parts for aftermarket add ons like your FI. I was very pleased with it, so much so that I'm installing one in my '70 Chevelle SS this fall.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
oldjeeplady
Old Time Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ7 V8 304 T18 w/gran low D20 w/TeraLowD30 D44, 1959 CJ5 Rebuild 74 Buick 231V6 oddfire T14 D20 D30 D44 frame boxed roller engine ready, 1967 CJ5 V6 225 T86aa D18 D27 D44 runs needs work, 1954 CJ3B F4-134 T90A D18 D25 D44 Half Cab needs tub, 2000 Ford Explorer XLT V6 all stock with CO wheeling exp

Shooby installed a Centech harness in his 78 CJ5 which also has the same FI you have in yours. They less expensive than the Painless kits. Just another option for you.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
Scout1067
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift

I have been tracking the price for the painless harness for my CJ and the price is down $100 to $449 in the last six months. I am fixing to take the plunge and buy it.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Painless Wiring Harness for Newbies?? 

Old 07-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
jzak
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ5/258 4.2L I6, Tremec T-176 4-speed, Dana 300, Power Steering, Howell Throttle Body Injection System, Warn Locking Hubs, Warn Rock Crawler front/rear bumper with Tire Swing Carrier, Full Roll Cage, Pro Comp ES9000 shocks

Thanks for the feedback guys! I guess the question is should i get the direct fit harness or the custom one. The direct fit is hundreds more, but i'm assuming it comes with all the connectors you need, so its more plug and play. That said, since i've got that howell TBI, i'm probably going to be splicing in most of the harness anyway. What do you guys think?

Last edited by jzak; 07-01-2019 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #7
jeffcj
New Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7, 258, D300, AMC20, D30

I'm in the same general situation. 84 CJ7 with Howell TBI and a HEI. I went with a harness from Centech. Called them up and told them to modify it for the HEI. No problem.. Haven't gotten it installed yet, but I've been inspecting the harness and it all looks pretty straightforward.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeffcj For This Useful Post:
jzak (07-01-2019)

Old 07-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #8
jzak
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcj View Post
I'm in the same general situation. 84 CJ7 with Howell TBI and a HEI. I went with a harness from Centech. Called them up and told them to modify it for the HEI. No problem.. Haven't gotten it installed yet, but I've been inspecting the harness and it all looks pretty straightforward.
Thanks Jeff! Please keep me updated on your install. If it goes well for you, I think i may go with these guys. Anybody I should talk to at Centech about getting a custom TBI harness?
Thanks Again!

Old 07-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #9
gert
Sr Respected Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 2005 Ram Cummins, 2008 softail custom

i did the painless as well, i went OCD and loomed, zip tied, and taped mine up really good for as clean of a look as possible. wasnt to bad, engine side is the only confusing part since the harness is designed to cover every CJ engine, alternator, and distributor combo there is so just go thru the manual carefully for that part, everything else is plug and play

Old 07-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
jeffcj
New Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7, 258, D300, AMC20, D30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzak View Post
Thanks Jeff! Please keep me updated on your install. If it goes well for you, I think i may go with these guys. Anybody I should talk to at Centech about getting a custom TBI harness?
Thanks Again!
I spoke with Jim who I believe is the owner. Super helpful guy. I told him what I had and we talked over adjustments to the "standard" CJ harness. In my case the switch to HEI meant replacing the ballast resistor with just a keyed ignition wire for the HEI (they also threw in an HEI pigtail connector). The Howell TBI was/is just a keyed ignition source off the harness to the appropriate wire on the Howell Harness. I believe they include at least one optional circuit wire in all of their kits.

I paid a little extra for the "upgraded" PDP-1B fuse panel.

One caveat - The bulkhead connector that passes through the firewall does not look factory. The provided cover plate seems like it will make for a clean install, but if factory identical is important to you the Painless kit is a better choice.