Default HELP! Wiring complications 

Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
76cj7chick
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter. Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p

Hi everyone!

I've been banging my head against the wall for sometime trying to install a 21 circuit wiring harness in my 76 cj7 from EZ wiring... I've emailed them and didn't get a response and I just left a vm earlier today.. But instead of waiting on them I thought I'd turn to you all for help...

The PO(s) did a scary job on the jeep... It had a lot of bare HOT wires, hanging ground and many other issues.. (I hope to get a video together and put the build on youtube or? )

I purchased a complete wiring harness hoping it would either have all the connectors (since my jeep lacked many) or had good wiring diagrams... Unfortunately, it didn't come with either....

The diagram has two headlight switches but neither are for my jeep. It also didn't tell me where to install the Orange Brake light Switch power (I think I figured it goes on the brake pedal switch?) But not sure yet...

If any one knows the wiring PLEASE let me know!

I still need to wire:
Brake Switch (white)
Backup light power
Left backup light
Left front park (brown)
Left tail park (brown)
fan wire
fan fan wire

PS. I have 3 jeep manuals, one of which is a technical manual but they are still quite vague about where wires go...But mostly perhaps because the POs have done so much wrong and since I am installing an aftermarket harness... But I would appreciate any ideas from the masters...

I have the brake combination valve on the frame of the jeep.. I figured out where to wire the one that goes to the parking brake to the dash warning light but am not sure where the other one is to be wired... The diagram looks like it is supposed to be spliced into the ignition somehow... Any ideas?

I have many other questions but won't throw them all at you right now...

Thank you again in advance....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: HELP! Wiring complications 

Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
rr41mag
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4 And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop

A few of those you named are just going to be butt spliced to the light or a spade terminal to plug into the brake light switch.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
JR74CJ5
Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ OME 2-1/2" Lift Spring Conversion

I don't know how much this will help...

Jeep Wiring Diagrams - 1976 and 1977 CJ

Also a lot of good info here, though I did not search to see if any will help you specifically... Image Library ~ Rip and Pirate as you please... That's what the internet is all about!!! !

There are also very nice laminated color diagrams for purchase

PROSPERO'S GARAGE Presents:* 11" x 17", Laminated, Full Original Color Wiring Diagrams for Motorcycles & Vintage Sports Cars!

Click Jeep and find year model...

Would have been easier / more useful from the start I suppose... But you may still have some need for them?

~ JR

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
76cj7chick
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter. Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p

Thanks for your ideas and the diagrams... I may just be a too electrically handicapped because I have the same diagrams in my jeep books...

I guess I need to know where each wire goes... separately.. I've tried to write out each part--ex., the brake failure switch wiring diagram but I am still confused...

Does anyone have experience with installing a EZ wiring harness?
If yes, then would I have to splice the brake failure switch (from the vacuum connector on the jeep frame) into the ignition? If yes, please tell me which one...

I've never done this before(rewired a vehicle) , so perhaps I need to "chill" so I can concentrate better... :0

Is it safe to say that the LF park wire and LT park wire go on the Headlight switch?
Do they get crimped together? If yes, which prong? (P or R)....

Here is how I think the Headlight Switch should be wired:
B1 and H (B1 = Headlight Power Red) (H = Dimmer power light blue) Why? Using an voltmeter, They only connect when the headlight knob is pulled out all the way.. NO other prongs connect with these two....

on one pull out on the Headlight switch
B2 connects with P, R, and I...
Full pull out of HL Switch: B2 connects with R and (If I remember correctly) I.... (However, I don't have the diagram I drew in front of me..

Please let me know if that sounds right..

Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
76cj7chick
Senior Jeeper

Thanks for your reply..

I am having difficulty in finding my backup light switch.. The reverse lights did illuminate when I first got the jeep... But the PO did so much to it (mostly bad) I don't know where they "hid" the backup light swtich..
It wasn't on the column (I have a floor shift auto)
And I've looked all over the transmission and t-case and can't find a wire..
I did locate what I think is a two prong switch/bolt on top of the t-case towards the right side of the jeep.. I may use my voltmeter to see if they have positive and negative leads...

Old 12-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
76cj7chick
Senior Jeeper

Here are some pics of the Tcase and Tranny...

First of all---Please let me know if I do have the th400 and if my t-case is a 20.....

Also, the one prong switch is on the driverside of the transmission.. Is it my kickdown switch?

Please identify all these pics...

Attached Thumbnails
dirty-tcase-compressed.jpg   before-tranny-sensor.jpg   tcase-tag.jpg   tranny-pan.jpg   tranny-sensor.jpg  

Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
rr41mag
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4 And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop

Just chill out and take them one by one. It wont take as long as you think.
Attached Thumbnails
12202011-002.jpg  

Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
76cj7chick
Senior Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr41mag View Post
Just chill out and take them one by one. It wont take as long as you think.
I will try to chill...

Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
76cj7chick
Senior Jeeper

I tried another jeep forum and they don't know how to id the t-case even with the tag id and embossed id...

I'm still stuck......

Any one able to id the tranny? (By the way, the back up lights DID work when I first purchased the jeep) But I still can't find where the back up light switch was installed... Definitely was NOT on the column.....

What/where does the wires for the headlight go?
Do I use P for front and rear park lights??? Or do I use R for the rear tail lights? ---The back up switch wouldn't be on the headlight switch, right?

Thanks to everyone who has responded!!!
I know the jeep will one day get running again... but, earlier would be better...

Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Torxhead
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s

Well to start with if you have an virgin 1976-79 Jeep CJ7 and a th400 tranny, it was mated to a Borg-Warner 1339 Quadratrac transfer case, this was a full time 4wd system. I recall hearing something about a 4wd switch located in the glovebox or something like that. I would think you should decide on whether you want to purchase a new wiring system or salvage the one you have. It would help to have a good wiring schematic, I recall reading somewhere on the net that somebody was selling blown up plastic coated colored diagrams. Doing my own wire work is a lot of fun for me anyways since it doesn't involve a lot of wrenching and grease.