Question Engine Bay Wiring Questions 

Old 07-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
TexasBlues
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ5 AMC 360 AMC 20 and Dana 30 disc brake conversion COMPLETE by adding CJ7 W I D E Track axles... totally disassembled, 1979 JEEP CJ5 AMC 360, Project #2 1995 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Chevy Tahoe, 1998 Toyota Tacoma (wifes truck)

Send a message via Skype™ to TexasBlues
Mornin all-

it has been a long time since i worked on my CJ and now I am in need of help...

the starter solenoid has 4 posts, 'Batt', 'S', 'I', 'STR"

i understand that the STR is a single wire to the starter...

the BATT (I assume) is ONLY for the cable from the + battery post

The S and I terminals have me confused...

(I tried to insert a pic here but it wont let me)

i have replaced the original distributor with the DUI Street/Strip and also installed a new painful wiring harness...

there are 2 wires (Coil Batt +) and (Coil Batt -) that i have NO idea where they go...

also, while i am at it... there are several wires in the harness that i do not need (A/C Compressor etc) can i use these for other accessories?

i am assuming that if i use the A/C wire (and do not have A/C) that i will need to install a switch for any accessory added to that circuit... is this correct?

I am also at a loss when it comes to the 50A maxi fuse... where it goes, what it does, etc

finally, i have a 1 wire alternator upgrade (with bulltear mount) that i need help with (how/where to wire etc)

i understand that there are several items in this post but thought it best to ask all questions in one place

does anyone know where i can get the other 1/2 of the ignition wiring harness PLUG (ididit column is plug/play IF you have a GM harness... i do not, i am starting from scratch with the painless harness)

thank you in advance for your help

TB

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Engine Bay Wiring Questions 

Old 07-17-2019, 11:55 PM   #2
Peanut Butter
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 Jeep CJ7 TH400 Automatic 258 I6 Quadratrac Amc 20 rear & Dana 30 front, 32 x 11.5 x 15 tires. Currently a Complete Custom Rebuild in progress. Also I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, White, all stock with 4.0L. automatic, and police package. Best part of that is it came with leather seats! I use it as my emergency response vehicle for all County emergencies. LED Lightbar installed on top.

First thing to do is get a good wiring diagram. This one is matched to your Jeep, and has all of the correct wiring colors too: https://colorwiringdiagrams.com/

Next here are a few articles to read that will help you better understand the wiring on your Jeep:
https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/te...upgrade-11416/

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/ba...g-101-a-23836/

Also search the author of this one: TeamRush. He has written several articles about wiring. Go to show all statistics on the right side. From there you can look at all the posts he has written.

Yes you can use your AC circuit for something else. It could be hard to find the inside wires though to add a switch. Sometime running a new wire and a good relay would be easier. The 50 amp fuse is for very large portions of your system. Jeeps did not come with these. So, without seeing a picture, I can only guess that it may replace the fusible link that all Jeeps had coming from the battery to the rest of the electrical system, or it may be a replacement for the AC system. Hard to tell. If you do all of the above and post a few pictures, we may be better able to help you with specific questions. This should also give you a better understanding of your Jeep, which is the best part of working on it. To post pictures, follow this:
https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f16/h...ges-post-1270/

The Painful Wiring Harness should have had a diagram with it. If not ask the company for one. You can accomplish much more using your own wire, following some of the above articles, and the wiring diagram then spending good money on Painful.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Peanut Butter For This Useful Post:
TexasBlues (08-08-2019)

Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
gert
Sr Respected Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 2005 Ram Cummins, 2008 softail custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlues View Post
Mornin all-

it has been a long time since i worked on my CJ and now I am in need of help...

the starter solenoid has 4 posts, 'Batt', 'S', 'I', 'STR"

i understand that the STR is a single wire to the starter...

the BATT (I assume) is ONLY for the cable from the + battery post

The S and I terminals have me confused...

BATT comes from the battery hot, STR goes to the starter, large gage wire on both of those, S is for the starter signal (start position)wire from the ignition switch. The I is the ignition power feed from the ignition switch(run position) that will power your ignition

(I tried to insert a pic here but it wont let me)

i have replaced the original distributor with the DUI Street/Strip and also installed a new painful wiring harness...

there are 2 wires (Coil Batt +) and (Coil Batt -) that i have NO idea where they go...

the coil + goes to the distributor, if you have a tach the other wire from the distributor goes there, no need for the coil ground (page #102)

also, while i am at it... there are several wires in the harness that i do not need (A/C Compressor etc) can i use these for other accessories?

i am assuming that if i use the A/C wire (and do not have A/C) that i will need to install a switch for any accessory added to that circuit... is this correct?

you could use the ac wires for an accessory you will have to find the other end coming out of the fuse box and refuse it accordingly

I am also at a loss when it comes to the 50A maxi fuse... where it goes, what it does, etc

the 50Amp maxi fuse fuses the whole electrical system, so it goes between the battery and the starter relay (page #118)

finally, i have a 1 wire alternator upgrade (with bulltear mount) that i need help with (how/where to wire etc)

Page #110 wire # 915

i understand that there are several items in this post but thought it best to ask all questions in one place

does anyone know where i can get the other 1/2 of the ignition wiring harness PLUG (ididit column is plug/play IF you have a GM harness... i do not, i am starting from scratch with the painless harness)

thank you in advance for your help

TB
Here is the wire diagram for Painless https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/10150.pdf

Last edited by gert; 07-18-2019 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
gert
Sr Respected Jeeper
Gold Supporter

here is a new column plug kit from painless

https://www.amazon.com/Painless-3080...SIN=B00062Z5IO

The Following User Says Thank You to gert For This Useful Post:
TexasBlues (08-08-2019)

Old 08-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
TexasBlues
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ5 AMC 360 AMC 20 and Dana 30 disc brake conversion COMPLETE by adding CJ7 W I D E Track axles... totally disassembled, 1979 JEEP CJ5 AMC 360, Project #2 1995 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Chevy Tahoe, 1998 Toyota Tacoma (wifes truck)

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I have picked up the correct GM plug, wired it all in with the ignition relay kit and tested it... everything works (as in all of the wires are hot when they are supposed to be in the different key positions)...

Now i need t omount the relays on the firewall under the dash..

in the meantime, I have another question...

Specifically about grounding in the engine bay...

Right now I have the following:

a ground from the battery to the frame (2ga wire)

a ground from the frame to the engine block (heavy braided strap)

a ground from the battery to the tub (lighter braided strap)

and I will be running a 10ga from the battery to a ground 'block' under the dash (Ron Francis kit here)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RFW-GW15

do I need to have a ground from the engine block to the tub as I have read in SO many places?

once I get these grounds run (you'd think there would be a boatload of places to attach) I can start with the actual wiring... so any help is MOST appreciated!

thanks everyone for your patience!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
defibvt
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5, 232 (overhauled with larger cam and bored out to .30),T-18 w/ granny gear, Dana 300 w/ Lomax 4:1 gears.

Everything that I have read says that you cannot ground too much with CJ's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
TexasBlues
Jeeper

Here are a couple photos of what I have so far, in case someone has suggestions

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...BTdkMyWTczTUFv

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...RlYUhRWF9SNWNj

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...hseGgtdWZNZFdR

Last edited by TexasBlues; 08-08-2019 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
gert
Sr Respected Jeeper
Gold Supporter

It would not hurt to add another ground but you currently have more/better grounding than factory, the only other trouble spot I can think of it the fuel sending unit and tail lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
TexasBlues
Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
It would not hurt to add another ground but you currently have more/better grounding than factory, the only other trouble spot I can think of it the fuel sending unit and tail lights

i have all of the fantail components grounded in a sealed box way up high in the rear wheel well...

the box has 8-10 terminals in it and a gasket around the screw on lid...

thanks @gert!

Old 08-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
gert
Sr Respected Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlues View Post
i have all of the fantail components grounded in a sealed box way up high in the rear wheel well...

the box has 8-10 terminals in it and a gasket around the screw on lid...

thanks @gert!

Sweet, I drilled a hole and created a ground post on my gas tank crossmember that I am using for my rear grounds, I think when I get them all situated I will hit it with son spray paint or something to keep it working well