Jeep-CJ Forums

Jeep-CJ Forums (https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/)
-   Chassis and Body (https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Coil Resister (https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/coil-resister-19361/)

dagr8tim 07-07-2013 02:26 PM

Coil Resister

By the looks of the 77 232 in my CJ, it has a resistor before the coil. I get 12.8 volts into it and 12 volts out of the resistor. I'm not getting any spark and I suspect it's a bad coil.

A friend gave me an Accel 140001 (ACCEL brand | Part #: 140001) coil that he had kicking around from a waggy project he sold. I'm wondering if I need to run the resistor with this accel coil, or if I can run it straight off the ignition wire.

Also, I got the coil used with no adapter on top. How can I rig it up to fit the fitting on the wire from the distributor to the coil?

Hopefully this solves my no spark issue and and I can move on to the carb.

johnnyreb 07-07-2013 05:46 PM

Re: Coil Resister

if the accel coil is threaded then you cut the wires and add rings terminals.

IOPort51 07-07-2013 08:51 PM

If you are trying to do this on the cheep, I understand. BUT you are throwing good money after bad, pull the distributor out of the 77 and throw it as far as you can, replace it with a stock 1979 jeep distributor for a 258 and do the team rush ignition upgrade. then you can move on to the carb and not worry about the spark for a long long time. The 77 distributor is a piece of crap.:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagr8tim (Post 158141)
By the looks of the 77 232 in my CJ, it has a resistor before the coil. I get 12.8 volts into it and 12 volts out of the resistor. I'm not getting any spark and I suspect it's a bad coil.

A friend gave me an Accel 140001 (ACCEL brand | Part #: 140001) coil that he had kicking around from a waggy project he sold. I'm wondering if I need to run the resistor with this accel coil, or if I can run it straight off the ignition wire.

Also, I got the coil used with no adapter on top. How can I rig it up to fit the fitting on the wire from the distributor to the coil?

Hopefully this solves my no spark issue and and I can move on to the carb.

johnnyreb 07-08-2013 11:14 AM

+1 on the team rush upgrade. I did most of it on mine.

dagr8tim 07-10-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyreb (Post 158161)
if the accel coil is threaded then you cut the wires and add rings terminals.

There looks like there is a flat head screw down in the hole. Looking at product photo's online, it looks like it comes with a boot for the coil and nothing else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOPort51 (Post 158189)
If you are trying to do this on the cheep, I understand. BUT you are throwing good money after bad, pull the distributor out of the 77 and throw it as far as you can, replace it with a stock 1979 jeep distributor for a 258 and do the team rush ignition upgrade. then you can move on to the carb and not worry about the spark for a long long time. The 77 distributor is a piece of crap.:cool:

I didn't realize that a remaned dist was only $44. I'll have to put that on my list.

Now as for the resistor, do I need to run a resistor with this coil?

IOPort51 07-11-2013 01:13 PM

Are you sure that you are looking at a resistor and not a capacitor?? Can we see a picture?:D

the 77 had no resistor.:cool:

the 75 may have , I guess.