Default Cj7 vs yj hardtop 

Old 12-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Az84cj7
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 84 cj7 Inline 6, mopar fuel injection , T5 trans, dana 300, Dana 44's

So I understand that a yj hardtop will fit a cj7. My question is where the hatch from a yj hardtop meets the cj7 tailgate when both are closed is there any sort of gap? Are there any other concerns? If u have any pictures please share.
Thx

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Cj7 vs yj hardtop 

Old 12-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Morris4x4Center
www.jeep4x4center.com
Vehicle(s): CJ 8 Scrambler CJ 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az84cj7 View Post
So I understand that a yj hardtop will fit a cj7. My question is where the hatch from a yj hardtop meets the cj7 tailgate when both are closed is there any sort of gap? Are there any other concerns? If u have any pictures please share.
Thx

Just passing through and thought this thread might help you!
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f99/di...-hardtop-3539/

-Chris

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Morris4x4Center For This Useful Post:
LIVELY5R (12-04-2015)

Old 12-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Az84cj7
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 84 cj7 Inline 6, mopar fuel injection , T5 trans, dana 300, Dana 44's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center View Post
Just passing through and thought this thread might help you!
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f99/di...-hardtop-3539/

-Chris
Thanks for the sticky Chris. I actually have read that already. It doesn't quit give me the info I'm looking for. I'm Trying to figure out if there is a gap between the yj hardtop and the tailgate of a cj7 when both are closed? Also if there is any sort of issues to be concerned about when using a yj top on a cj7?
Ooorrr if someone has some pictures of this setup.
Thx

Old 12-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
elwood blues
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.

When I wrote that sticky thread I never found anyone that had a YJ top on a CJ7, or a CJ7 top on a YJ. There's lots of threads on other forums where other people talk a lot about it, but no pictures or detailed write-ups.

From what I read, the fitment isn't the problem. It's the order in which the 2 different tops and tailgates are supposed to close that's the problem. Everything I read said that a CJ7 top on a YJ will have to have some of the fiberglass trimmed from the bottom of the hatch for it to seal and close tightly, plus getting rid of the lock mechanism stuff. And a YJ top on a CJ7 requires coordination to close go the the tailgate and the top' s hatch at the same time, so that the weatherstrip thing seals against the tailgate correctly.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Az84cj7
Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood blues View Post
When I wrote that sticky thread I never found anyone that had a YJ top on a CJ7, or a CJ7 top on a YJ. There's lots of threads on other forums where other people talk a lot about it, but no pictures or detailed write-ups.

From what I read, the fitment isn't the problem. It's the order in which the 2 different tops and tailgates are supposed to close that's the problem. Everything I read said that a CJ7 top on a YJ will have to have some of the fiberglass trimmed from the bottom of the hatch for it to seal and close tightly, plus getting rid of the lock mechanism stuff. And a YJ top on a CJ7 requires coordination to close go the the tailgate and the top' s hatch at the same time, so that the weatherstrip thing seals against the tailgate correctly.

Ok yep I got it now. So yj top will work but not ideal. Seems in order to close the rear tailgate on the CJ the hatch from the yj top needs to be closed first. Now this would be tricky because of the way the cj's tailgate latch mechanism locks from the inside. Would be kind of hard to do this with the glass hatch shut. No way to reach in from the rear.

My next question is will the full yj doors work with the cj7 hard top. I know hindge fitment and latch are correct but when closed do they fit the contour of the yj top and close flush?

Old 12-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
gr8dain
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ-8

Yes. The YJ full doors work with the CJ8 half cab I have so I would assume they would work on a CJ7 top as well.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
elwood blues
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.