Default Body mount kit question 

Old 01-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
Scout1067
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift

I am going to pull the tub on my CJ this spring to repaint it and treat the frame. Since I am going to pull it anyway I figure I should replace the body mount bushings while I am at it. I am looking at the Energy Suspension Body Mount Bushings from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...jeep/model/cj7

My question is do I need to order spacers for the bushings as well or do I just need the bushings and new bolts? Looking in the parts manual all the bolts i see are 2 1/2" I would assume they are 1/2" in bolts as well from looking underneath. Even better does someone have a parts list from their build that they can point me to and I can pull the list off myself?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Body mount kit question 

Old 01-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Sbasham1
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '85 CJ7, 258 AMC, T-176, ??, Dana ??, 32x15 mud tires

I took my tub off on Saturday from my '85 CJ7 that has spent its entire life in Florida with minimal rust. 8 of the 10 bolts were all entirely destroyed on removal due to decay. Additionally the front 2 were not the same length as the rear 8. The metal inserts into the bushings are/were dust.

Only other rust I've found on the entire car is where the roll bar was mounted. I'd expect to be replacing everything on your application when you get it off if you're in any similar of a boat to me. I'm getting the entire bushing kit from day star, and sourcing out my bolts/washers from a local hardware store with grade 8 bolts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sbasham1 For This Useful Post:
Scout1067 (01-14-2020)

Old 01-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
Scout1067
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift

I live in Germany with all that entails with road salt. What I find odd is the only kits I can find that have the sleeves are from crown and omix, which I would prefer to avoid if possible.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Patrick
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 82 CJ5, LS 6.2, NV3550/D300, D44/30 68 CJ5, 350, Muncie/D18, D44/27 under construction

Stainless steel hardware with a dab of anti seize compound is ideal here. Using the button head bolts on the roll bar adds a nice touch. This option is more expensive, though.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
Scout1067
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Stainless steel hardware with a dab of anti seize compound is ideal here. Using the button head bolts on the roll bar adds a nice touch. This option is more expensive, though.
I have decided to go with stainless steel, found the sizes I need in grade 8 on McMaster-Carr. I am going with hex head though as I have had enough fun with button head bolts to last a lifetime

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk