Default Alternator Not Charging Battery 

Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
MaineMan87
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5: 304, 3 spd

After two months of ownership and picking away at some punch list repairs, I was anxious to take my 74 304 CJ5 out this past weekend. I hopped in, turned the key, and nothing. It was clear that the battery was dead, but I didn't think of anything of it, since it had sat all winter before I bought it and another two months after I bought it. I put a charge on it and would try it the following day. It started up with no problems, for about 5 or 6 starts, but then the battery died again. The previous owner installed a new alternator before I bought it, but I was beginning to question if he hooked it up properly. I am not an expert mechanic, and electrical is probably my weakest link, but I quickly noticed that one of the wires coming off the plug of the alterrnator was cut and not hooked to anything. It looks to be a GM style alternator with an internal regulator. There is a 2-wire plug with a red wire and a black wire. The red wire is hooked into the positive lead on my battery, but the black wire goes nowhere. Where should this be connected? I picked up a new battery and solenoid, for peace of mind, but I'd like to get this alternator issue figured out before I throw the new battery in.

Also, while under the hood, I noticed that there is a purple wire that is also disconnected. According to the FSM, this should be hooked to the oil sending unit, is that correct?

Thank you,
Andrew

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Alternator Not Charging Battery 

Old 05-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Torxhead
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s

If your fsm does not have a wiring diagram in it, there are wiring diagrams available online or they can be found it aftermarket repair manuals.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
jdcaples
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): J0M93ECxxxx J - Jeep 0 - Year 1980 M - 1980: 4-speed Manual 93 -Inches of Wheelbase? E - 4150# GVW C - 6 Cyl, 258 CID, 2 Bbl Dana 300, SR-4, stock and rusting; I'm the fourth owner.

Does this look similar to what you have?

charging_circuit2.jpg

-Jon

Old 05-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Purple goes from the sending unit to the oil pressure gauge.

The Delco plug issue seems to be a fairly common problem. My Jeep came with a red (or was it black, can't remember) wire hooked to the line going to the battery and a white wire seemingly doing nothing but hang out in space. I asked almost the same question you have and got a steady stream of answers. Most all of them saying that there needed to be some sort of resistor in the line going to the run side of the ignition switch. The resistor could be a light bulb or a few inches of resistor wire. the resistance tells the regulator that there is a load and the alternator needs to start charging. From what I can gather this is mostly for low RPM operation, above a certain RPM the alternator will automaticly start charging. So, what did I do. I cheated is what I did. My alternator fried itself right infront of my little eyes, so I took it in and had it rebuilt with a single wire set-up. Quick simple fool proof. There is only one wire to hook up and thats the heavy with coming from the battery. This effects the way the alterantor starts charging. Start the engine, blip it up over 1100 RPM and you've got charging going on.

But, your wire hanging shouldn't stop your Jeep from charging, what does your volt meter say? It should be running at 14+ volts with a nice 12+ with the engine off.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
MaineMan87
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
Does this look similar to what you have?

Attachment 17564

-Jon
Indeed. Thanks

Old 05-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
MaineMan87
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Purple goes from the sending unit to the oil pressure gauge.

The Delco plug issue seems to be a fairly common problem. My Jeep came with a red (or was it black, can't remember) wire hooked to the line going to the battery and a white wire seemingly doing nothing but hang out in space. I asked almost the same question you have and got a steady stream of answers. Most all of them saying that there needed to be some sort of resistor in the line going to the run side of the ignition switch. The resistor could be a light bulb or a few inches of resistor wire. the resistance tells the regulator that there is a load and the alternator needs to start charging. From what I can gather this is mostly for low RPM operation, above a certain RPM the alternator will automaticly start charging. So, what did I do. I cheated is what I did. My alternator fried itself right infront of my little eyes, so I took it in and had it rebuilt with a single wire set-up. Quick simple fool proof. There is only one wire to hook up and thats the heavy with coming from the battery. This effects the way the alterantor starts charging. Start the engine, blip it up over 1100 RPM and you've got charging going on.

But, your wire hanging shouldn't stop your Jeep from charging, what does your volt meter say? It should be running at 14+ volts with a nice 12+ with the engine off.
I will be checking the volts tonight, but I think you have lead me in the right direction. The alternator is brand new, so I will install a resistor on that wire and see if that fixes the charging issue at low rpm's.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
jdcaples
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): J0M93ECxxxx J - Jeep 0 - Year 1980 M - 1980: 4-speed Manual 93 -Inches of Wheelbase? E - 4150# GVW C - 6 Cyl, 258 CID, 2 Bbl Dana 300, SR-4, stock and rusting; I'm the fourth owner.

In my CJ7, I have the GM style alternator.

For what it's worth, my Painless Performance Chassis harness came with wires on the back of the fuse panel. It's wire 714. Wire number 714 goes from the fuse panel to terminal 1 on the alternator.

Here's the Painless diagram

capture.jpg

Here's the fuse panel end of wire 714 (4th hole from the right, bottom row)

loom.jpg

-Jon

Last edited by jdcaples; 05-28-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

That is one of he best wiring diagrams I've seen in a long time.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
mtnwhlr
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu, 78 CJ7

A quick way to see if the batt is getting volts from the alt is to start it with a charged batt and pull the pos cable off the batt if it still runs the alt is putting out and is fine if it dies than it isn't.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #10
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper

AutoZone and O'Rieleys will do a diagnostic check on your charging system for free. A new alternator does not = a working alternator.

Your Jeep should run for a while on a good recharged battery.