Default Suggestion for new fuel tank 

Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
cglax6
Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '76 CJ5, 304, T18/D20, D44 (open), D30 (open), 2.5" BDS spring lift, 31x10.5x15 tires

I've finally completed the list of 'must complete' items to make my CJ5 enjoyable to drive. Now i'm working on my list of 'should complete' items.

First on the list is the fuel system. I'm typically the first to admit I've committed a stupid act, so I'll just put it out there...I wasn't paying attention to my fuel gauge the other week and I ran out of gas. Luckily, I was already in the neighborhood, so I walked down the street and filled it up with almost 2 gallons of fuel, then drove it around the corner to the gas station, and it topped off with 10 more. It has a 304 in it with a 2 barrel carb, so it gets crappy gas mileage...close to 10mpg. I have an engine swap in the works, so I'm not going to upgrade the carb.

Looking for some suggestions, lessons learned, etc. When the PO put this engine in, he didn't use all the fuel lines...it just has 1 fuel line going from the tank to the carb. The other two have had the rubber lines cut from them, and the rubber lines coming from the fuel tank have been capped. No return line, no vent line, no vapor canister. The steel lines are still intact, so it'll just be a matter of dropping the old tank and connecting hoses to the steel lines, etc.

What size tanks have folks used to replace stock?

Appreciate the help.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Suggestion for new fuel tank 

Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
HackFabrication
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ5 2017 Grand Cherokee Summit

From personal experience with my 76 CJ5, the fuel tank is a 'one off' design. It shares a few things with the 77, but that doesn't make them 100% inter-changeable either.

When I went 'all in' on my resto-mod, I opted for an aftermarket tank from TrailQuest. Here's a quick link to their gas tank page: Jeep CJ Fuel Tanks, Gas Tank Skid Plates, and Jerry Cans I had mine fabricated with EFI in mind, and with the inlet/vent updated to the later CJ design.

I don't believe they are in the business of producing custom tanks or other parts any longer. So that leaves you with searching for a somewhat 'bolt in' replacement. And that will most likely need some Hack Fabricating to get right.

Sorry not much help....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Default Re: Suggestion for new fuel tank 

Old 04-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
cglax6
Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '76 CJ5, 304, T18/D20, D44 (open), D30 (open), 2.5" BDS spring lift, 31x10.5x15 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
From personal experience with my 76 CJ5, the fuel tank is a 'one off' design. It shares a few things with the 77, but that doesn't make them 100% inter-changeable either.

When I went 'all in' on my resto-mod, I opted for an aftermarket tank from TrailQuest. Here's a quick link to their gas tank page: Jeep CJ Fuel Tanks, Gas Tank Skid Plates, and Jerry Cans I had mine fabricated with EFI in mind, and with the inlet/vent updated to the later CJ design.

I don't believe they are in the business of producing custom tanks or other parts any longer. So that leaves you with searching for a somewhat 'bolt in' replacement. And that will most likely need some Hack Fabricating to get right.

Sorry not much help....
Thanks for the info, Hack...

I found a website for MTS...they have a 21ga tank just like the one on the Trail Quest site, but it comes as a kit to get the skid plate to fit, etc. I'll give both a call and see what I need in addition to what they sell.

I think I have an issue with my sender...not picking up all the fuel at the bottom of my tank...which is probably why I only get about 11ga of usable fuel out of each tank.