Default Fuel gauge and Temp gauge still dont work? 

Old 03-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
peterb
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ7, 304 V8, 4 speed T18, Dana differential, Rubicon Express 4.5 inch lift, Pro Comp 12.5X33 mudders, 6 point custom roll cage, very clean paint

I just replaced both my fuel and temp gauges in the cluster. I had the fuel sending unit checked when the tank was dropped and they said that it worked that it was the gauge. just change both fuel and temp, neither works? What are next steps? thanks for any help. Peter

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Fuel gauge and Temp gauge still dont work? 

Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
jasonmark1993
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): FJ cruiser (wifes ride) 2008 ZX10R, 73 CJ5, 408W, Toploader, Dana 20, 9" Dana 30 5.38 gears, next purchase=slicks

Make sure both have a good ground.

They both need key on power as well.

Depending on what year you have, there are some weird ground connections behind the dash. Mine were all goofed up on my 73'.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
gerth21
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1983 CJ7, 258 (4.2L), Borg-Warner T-5, Dana 300

I'm doing a dash swap with all new gauges this weekend, my current fuel and temp gauges don't work. If I find a reason why this weekend I'll be sure to post.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
gerth21
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1983 CJ7, 258 (4.2L), Borg-Warner T-5, Dana 300

So I wired up the new dash with all new OEM style gauges and I still don't have the fuel and temp. That is not a surprise to me but now my cluster light don't work when plugged in all the way. If I pull it half out the light right up. Will be working on it again tonight and will update later, hopefully I figure out the problem.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

When I finely got the fuel gauge to work I discovered that my diagram had the wires switched. the pink was hot and the red was going to the tank. You may want to spend a little quality time with a volt meter and make sure everything is as it should be.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

The Following User Says Thank You to IOPort51 For This Useful Post:
gerth21 (04-04-2012)

Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
jasonmark1993
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): FJ cruiser (wifes ride) 2008 ZX10R, 73 CJ5, 408W, Toploader, Dana 20, 9" Dana 30 5.38 gears, next purchase=slicks

I think the factory lights ground through the socket. Must not be making a good ground when you push them in all the way.

A quick way to see if the gauges and wire from the tank/temp sender are intact is to remove the wire from the fuel sender/temp sender and ground it. If things are working right, you'll peg the gauge. You have to have the key on.

Make sure you have key on power at the back of the gauge. Check the grounds and use a voltmeter to check for continuity in the wires to the senders. Grounds are usually the problem so I'd start there, especially on those two gauges. On my 73, the grounds ran through a metal tab built into the gauge cluster; not sure if yours is like that.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
njdave
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 78 cj5,232 i6, 3spd t150,spicer 20 transfer case,

Check the ground. Use a jumper to ground the gauges to the negative on the battery. If they start working there is ur problem.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bmn0mo

Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Turbogus
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '78 CJ 5 Renegade (Black Betty) Motor AMC 360, T150 trans, 20 tc, Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear w/posi '96 GMC K1500 Suburban (Big Blue Basterd) fully loaded with over $10k in options

When I cleaned up the speedometer cluster (oxidation issues/bad ground) on 'Betty' I had a bad temp gauge so I swapped out the sender and gauge but still had an issue. Then I happened upon John Strenks writeup about the quirky gauges (a lift of the lynch lid to John Strenk)

Basic Troubleshooting for CJ gauges

CJ Gauge Specification Chart

CJ Speedometer Gauge Quick Test

The new Gauge Page

After getting into the fuel and temp gauges again, I found that it was the new, Crown gauges that were corrupt. So I went down to Mac's Jeeparts in Corvallis OR (Peoria Road) picked up a pair of NOS gauges, wired 'em in and wha~la they've been workin' ever since. I suppose either I goofed the original install or the Crown gauges were manufactured in Lower Slovobia or somewheres.

Last edited by Turbogus; 05-08-2012 at 10:18 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Turbogus For This Useful Post:
tonkatrucksryan (06-14-2012)

Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
bondo258
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 85 CJ7, 258 TBI, MSD6 Ign. TeamRushed TF727, Twinstick D300,outboard shackle rev. f+r Locked Scout D44's , 3" lift, 33's Bondo and Rustoleum.

I've installed Crown gauges and never had an issue (three different jeeps)

People hate crown/omix gauges because (unknowingly to many) they are nearly identical to factory parts. CJ gauge stuff was always pretty sketchy from the showroom floor.

Mis-center an OEM gauge in the speedo house, it can ground out and burn, same as "imports".

Install wires wrong, even for a second, same thing. or worse.

No ground to case when "testing" same thing.

Fuel sender not grounded, same thing.

Gauge isn't very accurate? Your 195 degree thermostat equipped motor reads hot on a sender that has to be compatible with years equipped with lower temp motors?

What did you expect?

Fuel gauge One part number for different size tanks. Same thing.

The final adjustment on a fuel sender is the Float linkage. PS it can take up to five MINUTES for the gauge to catch up to what the Sender is at. It takes a while to heat the bi-metal up, and to let it cool to the proper range. Have trouble with final adjustment? That's why.

The Venerable Mr. Stenk has saved me hours of heartache. I am eternally grateful for his procedures and descriptions. He knows his stuff. His stuff is accurate.

That said...

Some stuff is still hard learned.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
Turbogus
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '78 CJ 5 Renegade (Black Betty) Motor AMC 360, T150 trans, 20 tc, Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear w/posi '96 GMC K1500 Suburban (Big Blue Basterd) fully loaded with over $10k in options

I'm not knocking Crown just yet, but I am a bit dubious and as for me, if I can get NOS that's what I'll likely go with.