Default Re: Urgent help! Jeep cj7 not going in gear! 

Old 06-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
Grabber Blue
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7, 304, TH-400, AMC 20, Dana 30

So Iím 17 rebuilding this project car that was frame off for my first car but my dad and brother started it and they put the trans and motor in and I donít believe they filled up the torque converter with fluid before installing so I think it has to bleed out what would be the best way to do that

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 06-27-2019, 05:34 PM   #12
shum8
Voted most irritating
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80 CJ-7, AMC 304, T177, Dana 300, Widetrack axles (D30 & AMC20) w/ 3.73 gearing, MSD ignition,

I think you will find your best course of action in posts 7 & 8.........

Sent via my universal translator

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 06-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #13
RiverandSand
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80, CJ5, 350 sbc, sm465, D300, D30, AMC20

On edit: Agreed, the trans pump will fill it just don't over fill it.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #14
shum8
Voted most irritating
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80 CJ-7, AMC 304, T177, Dana 300, Widetrack axles (D30 & AMC20) w/ 3.73 gearing, MSD ignition,

He may have to get it fairly level ground. Last report was it was partially down the driveway.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #15
Basod
Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7, 258, T4, D300, D30, AMC20, 3.54 gears

Does the dipstick show any level while idling in park?
Get at least a gallon or two of ATF and transmission fill funnel- the caps with fill tubes that attach to gallon jugs are junk, drip and leak every where.

Itís hard to know how how much to add with it being on a slope but donít overfill just a pint or so at a time with the engine idling shift from park to r-n-d-3-2-1 in between additions.
Once you hear/feel engagement check the dipstick and add a bit more, get it to a flat surface and check the level with the engine on and idling in park.
Donít worry too much if over filled a bit it will just leak out your dipstick/fill tube.
Youíll want to check and add before each use until you have to time to drop the pan and replace that seal.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
JR74CJ5
Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ OME 2-1/2" Lift Spring Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue View Post
So I’m 17 rebuilding this project car that was frame off for my first car but my dad and brother started it and they put the trans and motor in and I don’t believe they filled up the torque converter with fluid before installing so I think it has to bleed out what would be the best way to do that
I'm going to over explain a bit of basics just in case - ignore if you already know, but we may be taking for granted that you know some of these basics, and you may not since first project car etc. Most of it has been touched on, just wanted to consolidate it for you. Again, you may know all this and my intent is not to talk down to you at all - just don't want you spinning your wheels (or want you to be rather )

1 - The transmission fluid needs to be checked on level ground with the engine idling (running) and in Park (when you can safely achieve that).

2 - The best way to bleed air out / fluid in everywhere needed is to have the engine running, and shift from Park to Reverse - pause 5-10 seconds or so, then shift to Neutral - Pause again - then Drive - Pause etc - all through all your available shifter positions. When hit the end, go backwards back through them (Holding foot on brake pedal the entire time) - Continue filling a little bit more, and repeating until you start to feel the transmission start to engage in both Reverse and Drive, then get it moved to level ground to continue filling to correct level on dipstick (see #1).

3 - After filling to correct level on stick, do the bleed again (#2 above) and then check it again. Add as needed. Repeat until the level remains full after a bleed process.

4 - Take it for a short drive (if you can legally) around the block seeing if it's shifting ok etc. After you drive it around short distance, then get it back on level ground and check fluid level again.

Auto Transmissions work on fluid pressure, so if you don't have enough, it's very common to not get gear engagement in any position...

All others - I'm doing this from memory - last time I worked on or maintained a auto transmission was probably 10 years + ago - Please make sure you correct anything I said above if incorrect

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

Old 06-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #17
Grabber Blue
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7, 304, TH-400, AMC 20, Dana 30

New issue: I found metal in my flywheel cover 3 small pins and a part of some type of metal gasket any ideas?

Old 06-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #18
shum8
Voted most irritating
Gold Supporter

Quote:
New issue: I found metal in my flywheel cover 3 small pins and a part of some type of metal gasket any ideas?

Can you post up a couple pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR74CJ5 View Post
1 - The transmission fluid needs to be checked on level ground with the engine idling (running) and in Park (when you can safely achieve that).
:

An old memory cell of mine is suggesting the transmission should be at operating temp to check fluid level - does that sound right or am I making that up???

The Following User Says Thank You to shum8 For This Useful Post:
JR74CJ5 (07-01-2019)

Old 06-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #19
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shum8 View Post
Can you post up a couple pics?

An old memory cell of mine is suggesting the transmission should be at operating temp to check fluid level - does that sound right or am I making that up???

You be 'rite'-
LG

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumpy Grits For This Useful Post:
JR74CJ5 (07-01-2019), shum8 (06-28-2019)

Old 06-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #20
RiverandSand
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80, CJ5, 350 sbc, sm465, D300, D30, AMC20

Quote:
Could be parts of a starter, did you replace a bad starter?