Exclamation Urgent help! Jeep cj7 not going in gear! 

Old 06-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Grabber Blue
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7, 304, TH-400, AMC 20, Dana 30

Hi Iím new to this forum but I just recently finished my Jeep restoration and I moved my Jeep outside my garage onto my drive way, which is on a hill, and I found out that my amc 304 th350 Jeep wonít go into gear. I moved around my transmission shifter and my transfer case shifter and I got nothing. I appreciate any help because my Jeep keeps rolling down the hill every time I try to drive and soon I will be in the street. This Jeep took me a year and a half to build and this is the first time I took it out of my garage so itís not inspected and doesnít have insurance so any advice is appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Urgent help! Jeep cj7 not going in gear! 

Old 06-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
shum8
Voted most irritating
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80 CJ-7, AMC 304, T177, Dana 300, Widetrack axles (D30 & AMC20) w/ 3.73 gearing, MSD ignition,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue View Post
Hi Iím new to this forum but I just recently finished my Jeep restoration and I moved my Jeep outside my garage onto my drive way, which is on a hill, and I found out that my amc 304 th350 Jeep wonít go into gear. I moved around my transmission shifter and my transfer case shifter and I got nothing. I appreciate any help because my Jeep keeps rolling down the hill every time I try to drive and soon I will be in the street. This Jeep took me a year and a half to build and this is the first time I took it out of my garage so itís not inspected and doesnít have insurance so any advice is appreciated.
Man, I'd love to give you some help but I know very little of auto trans troubleshooting...... my first thought was the flex plate / torque converter. If she fires up and runs, and the transfer case is good, gotta be the converter or shifter linkage..... I'm spitballing here, tho.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
gert
Need a Life Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 2005 Ram Cummins, 2008 softail custom

make sure your transfercase is not in neutral make sure your torque converter is bolted up thats about it for the easy fixes after that it gets harder to fix

Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
hole
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ 8, 258 I6, T19, 4-1 Dana 300,4.0 Head, Mopar MPI, 10k winch, OME YJ springs w/3" lift,CS 144 Alt upgrade,Locked 20 & 30, Husky & Border Collie co-pilots are stock.

Start with the easy stuff. Since it's a new build, how much fluid did you put in the trans? It can take a bit for the fluid to get to the converter

Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
RiverandSand
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80, CJ5, 350 sbc, sm465, D300, D30, AMC20

This ^. Also did you prefill the torque converter before you installed it? The TH 350 holds 10 qts of fluid if empty after rebuild, 4 to 5 qts if just a fluid change.(assuming a stock pan) It will take little time to completely fill the trans berfore it starts working from a rebuild, keep filling and checking until the wheels start turning then stop let it warm up the check it again add until the level reaches "hot" fill line. Also make sure the xfrcase is in gear.

The Following User Says Thank You to RiverandSand For This Useful Post:
Grabber Blue (06-26-2019)

Old 06-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Grabber Blue
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7, 304, TH-400, AMC 20, Dana 30

Thanks for the info I have a feeling I didnít fill it up the whole ten quarts because it was empty before and then it started leaking at the fill tube so Iím going to try and fill it up and see if it works

Old 06-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
RiverandSand
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80, CJ5, 350 sbc, sm465, D300, D30, AMC20

Around quart 8 or 9 the trans should start showing some life, shift between neutral and reverse as it uses the highest pressures and will help fill and bleed air out the trans.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
Basod
Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7, 258, T4, D300, D30, AMC20, 3.54 gears

I had TH350 in my old Chevy that leaked from the dipstick fill tube. It was a feed and bleed model. Add a pint at a time and then check for engagement. You wonít be able to read level until itís on flat ground with the engine running.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
yleefox
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 Cj-7 304 (org 4 banger) Ford t18 trans.

I'd place a brick or chunk of wood, behind a couple of the tires, to prevent the Jeep from rolling backwards down the hill. Or if your parking brake works, you could apply it. Once the trans is moving the Jeep forward, you won't need the blocks or the brake.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
JR74CJ5
Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ OME 2-1/2" Lift Spring Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yleefox View Post
I'd place a brick or chunk of wood, behind a couple of the tires, to prevent the Jeep from rolling backwards down the hill. Or if your parking brake works, you could apply it. Once the trans is moving the Jeep forward, you won't need the blocks or the brake.

This is what I came to say... lol

This will solve the issue of it about to roll in the street part.

Others have given you the normal easy fixes already from there on the only caution I'd recommend is track what you've actually put in there too - I don't believe you want to over fill it much either, but I'm not a auto trans dude either...

Let us know if fluid and working the gears to bleed it through helps or not.

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me