Default Transmission advice 

Old 01-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
Montanaphilly
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): None

So here's my deal , I have a postal jeep that I'm doing a 4x4 conversion on , I have a dana 30 passenger side axle installed , now comes the transfercase, I have a 727 torqueflite 2wd , I would need an adapter and longer main shaft to do the conversion , but by that were talking a whole tear down(rebuild) I don't do too much deep transmission work , so I'm looking at about 1000$+ to do this,
PLUS buying a transfercase,which is well, more money.....im short on money ... seems to me I can buy a trans and x case that's used and working for less, not to mention put together

My question is what other options do I have ?, I am open minded to any manual/ auto trans with a passenger side drop x case, the motor is a 232

Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Transmission advice 

Old 01-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
mriplaybass
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ7 304 T18 w/6.32 lo d20 w/3.15 TeraLo D44 rear & D30 Front w/4.56 Eaton Elockers front and rear, 1959 CJ5, 1954 CJ3B, 1967 CJ5, 1947 IHC KB1, 1947 IHC KB2, 1947 IHC KS5, 1967 Mustang Coupe,

Kind of sounds like you are heading toward a basic CJ5 drive line. The CJ's of that period used T14 and T15 3 speed transmissions, and D20 transfer cases. You may even want to consider a T18 4 speed which is available with a 6.32 granny low depending on what you want to use the Jeep for. If you ever want to put lower gears into the transfer case, stay away from the T14. It has a different input shaft spline count, and is not compatible with the low gear kits. Can't help you much with automatics.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to mriplaybass For This Useful Post:
Montanaphilly (01-30-2018)

Old 01-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Montanaphilly
Junior Jeeper

Thankyou , looks like I need to just find a beat up cj and strip the goodies, seems I would get the most for the money, + some extra stuff,
Just would need to figure out a clutch pedal , shouldn't be to hard , maybe a universal setup,

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaphilly View Post
Thankyou , looks like I need to just find a beat up cj and strip the goodies, seems I would get the most for the money, + some extra stuff,
Just would need to figure out a clutch pedal , shouldn't be to hard , maybe a universal setup,

Either that or one that's being parted out. Assuming the 232 is the AMC I6, then you can use almost any 72+ CJ trans/tcase combo that was behind an AMC engine. The T150/D20 combo from a 76-79 CJ would work and are plentiful, cheap, and fairly strong. Also, very short, which is nice for a '5. The T18s are great transmissions, but hard to find, and usually pretty expensive, especially with the 6.32 1st gear. IMO, the best factory setup for most situations is the T176/D300 combo used in the 80s. It's a medium duty 4 speed with decent gearing and the D300 is a great transfer case with better gearing than the D20.

2 different automatics were used in CJs, but I believe they would both be too long for a '5.

What are you wanting to do with the jeep? What tire size, and what axle ratios?

Old 01-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Montanaphilly
Junior Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
Either that or one that's being parted out. Assuming the 232 is the AMC I6, then you can use almost any 72+ CJ trans/tcase combo that was behind an AMC engine. The T150/D20 combo from a 76-79 CJ would work and are plentiful, cheap, and fairly strong. Also, very short, which is nice for a '5. The T18s are great transmissions, but hard to find, and usually pretty expensive, especially with the 6.32 1st gear. IMO, the best factory setup for most situations is the T176/D300 combo used in the 80s. It's a medium duty 4 speed with decent gearing and the D300 is a great transfer case with better gearing than the D20.

2 different automatics were used in CJs, but I believe they would both be too long for a '5.

What are you wanting to do with the jeep? What tire size, and what axle ratios?
So how do I determine if my 232 is amc or jeep? Its in a 1975 postal , so those 1975 jeep years vary, And I have 4.10 gears (just in the rear for now), 33x12.5s with the 3 speed auto... which is just ok ,was going to go with 4.56s but with no overdrive I didn't want to do that , mostly highways around here , so going at least 55mph is what i was going for looking to cruise around in the creek , and I'm in the high desert of southern California , mostly local trails , moderate rocks, not rock crawling per say, so a medium duty setup would be sufficient , would be nice to have a good low range because it dogs up hills if I don't stay on the gas,

Old 01-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear

Quote:
So how do I determine if my 232 is amc or jeep? Its in a 1975 postal , so those 1975 jeep years vary, And I have 4.10 gears (just in the rear for now), 33x12.5s with the 3 speed auto... which is just ok ,was going to go with 4.56s but with no overdrive I didn't want to do that , mostly highways around here , so going at least 55mph is what i was going for looking to cruise around in the creek , and I'm in the high desert of southern California , mostly local trails , moderate rocks, not rock crawling per say, so a medium duty setup would be sufficient , would be nice to have a good low range because it dogs up hills if I don't stay on the gas,

The AMC motor is the Jeep motor. Didn't know what year DJ you had and just wanted to verify which motor is was (There was also a 231 Buick V6 used in earlier Jeeps.)

I think the T176 would serve you best. If you aren't lifted more than 4", you can probably use the front driveshaft from the CJ too. Almost all CJs have a simple mechanical clutch that shouldn't be hard to swap into. Though I think you'll also need the brake pedal from the manual CJ.

You can check out Novak-adapt.com for good info on different Jeep transmissions. And Gear Ratio Calculator for a gear ratio calculator that will give you crawl ratios, crawl speed, and highway rpm/speed of different combos

Old 01-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Montanaphilly
Junior Jeeper

I have a 4" lift in the front , next is the back , so i think i should clear drive shafts , and thanks , this has been a big help ,

Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
Montanaphilly
Junior Jeeper

Quote:
I have a 4" lift in the front , next is the back , so i think i should clear drive shafts , and thanks , this has been a big help ,

Oh I see what you meant , the length! I figure I'm going to have to have some custom shafts anyways , I figure I'll just worry about that when I get there, .....just 1 more dollar , that's what I tell myself

Old 01-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
PistolDave
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1977 CJ-7 SBC 5.7 TBI, TH400, D300, D44 front, D44 rear, 4.56's Detroit / Truetrac, SOA, 35" MTR-K's, ------------86 CJ-7 258 - T5 - AMC20/D30 3.30 open f/r - Dana 300 - 2" BDS wrangler springs - 31x10.5 BFG ************* 83 CJ7 3.8L, T19 5.1:1, D300, D30/AMC20, 4.11's, Chevy TBI, OX lockers, OME 2.5" lift YJ springs, 33x10.50/15 KM3's, Lots of rust and zip ties.

Unless I am missing something here, enough lift to successfully clear 33's and the short wheelbase of a DJ + auto transmission is going to result in a rear driveshaft that is about 6" long (Ok, maybe not THAT short, but still...)and runs at a 45* angle. There is a reason you don't usually see autos in a CJ5, because unless you do something like moving the axle rearward, moving the powertrain forward, etc. they don't fit very well. The DJ also has the wheelbase of the EARLY CJ5 so its even shorter than the 1972-1983 CJ5's. One of the issues you may have with a manual transmission is that if the jeep is still right drive, the clutch linkage will be on the wrong side, although there may be parts available to address that.

This is not to say it can't be done, but running an auto in a LIFTED short wheelbase jeep is tough. I see an axle rotation and CV rear driveshaft in you future.

Last edited by PistolDave; 01-31-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
Montanaphilly
Junior Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolDave View Post
Unless I am missing something here, enough lift to successfully clear 33's and the short wheelbase of a DJ + auto transmission is going to result in a rear driveshaft that is about 6" long and runs at a 45* angle. There is a reason you don't usually see autos in a CJ5, because unless you do something like moving the axle rearward, moving the powertrain forward, etc. they don't fit very well. The DJ also has the wheelbase of the EARLY CJ5 so its even shorter than the 1972-1983 CJ5's. One of the issues you may have with a manual transmission is that if the jeep is still right drive, the clutch linkage will be on the wrong side, although there may be parts available to address that.
As far as the auto fitment , you're spot on , I already only have a 1 foot drive shaft.... As far as linkage , I was thinking a universal hydraulic type master and slave cylinder, and I clear 33s just fine after trimming all the excess fender I could