Default Staying in 2nd gear 

Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
Super8mm
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case. Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)

I got to do some running around in my new to me CJ5 and there is a little issue with the transmission.

When up shifting from 1st to 2nd it stays in 2nd until I shift again but when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd it does not like to stay in 2nd all the time.

would that be the pieces that slide over the shiftier fork arms, or maybe a bent shiftier arm?

Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Staying in 2nd gear 

Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Typical SR4 problem, good luck. There is no permanent fix, the SR4 makes a great boat anchor. Yes, I know that is harsh, I had an SR4, spent a lot of money trying to get it fixed. Start thinking about a transmission upgrade. Unfortunately the T-4 and T-5's are the suggested replacements and they aren't very much better.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:
Lumpy Grits (07-22-2018), Super8mm (07-22-2018)

Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
Super8mm
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case. Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Typical SR4 problem, good luck. There is no permanent fix, the SR4 makes a great boat anchor. Yes, I know that is harsh, I had an SR4, spent a lot of money trying to get it fixed. Start thinking about a transmission upgrade. Unfortunately the T-4 and T-5's are the suggested replacements and they aren't very much better.
Thanks, I have done some looking at the SM465. there seems to be a lot of them out there for $300 and up with a fully rebuilt one with the adapters for about $1700.

If i go with another gear box I may as well get one that will hold up to a small block ??

Old 07-22-2018, 01:34 AM   #4
hole
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ 8, 258 I6, T19, 4-1 Dana 300,4.0 Head, Mopar MPI, 10k winch, OME YJ springs w/3" lift,CS 144 Alt upgrade,Locked 20 & 30, Husky & Border Collie co-pilots are stock.

Check Novaks website, there are many transmissions to choose from

Old 07-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #5
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): -1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch -1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock

Always keep in mind, a transmission and engine swap are never an easy proposition. Aside from motors and transmission and transfer case adaptors there are motor mounts, trans mounts, driveshaft modifications. Then there is the occasionally problematic AMC 20 rear axle. Essentially, add power = increased failure in the drive train. But, I admit that I have no idea as to your experiences in this field. No matter what, good luck with this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:
Super8mm (07-22-2018)

Old 07-22-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
Super8mm
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hole View Post
Check Novaks website, there are many transmissions to choose from
Thanks hole, that is where I first found out about the SM465.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:04 AM   #7
Super8mm
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Always keep in mind, a transmission and engine swap are never an easy proposition. Aside from motors and transmission and transfer case adaptors there are motor mounts, trans mounts, driveshaft modifications. Then there is the occasionally problematic AMC 20 rear axle. Essentially, add power = increased failure in the drive train. But, I admit that I have no idea as to your experiences in this field. No matter what, good luck with this.
Thanks Hedgehog, I did put a sb400 in my old J20 but kept the everything the same behind the bell housing so that was not to bad.

The Iron Duke was replaced about 5K miles ago with a new crate motor so it should last a good long while but I am not sure how the SM465 will match up to it. I do know the cost of a complete tranny ready to install is and that mating it up to the Dana 300 will be another $550 - $600

Old 07-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
Hedgehog
Sr Respected Jeeper

I know we all tend to be power hungry, but the Iron Duke I had was a decent engine. But like you are debating, the SR4 had to go and why not upgrade the engine too. So in went a Buick 231 V6 and a Ford T18 with the stock D300 transfer case. A great combination that allowed the transfer case to stay in the stock location. However, you mentioned a small block and that is a different beast all together. I assume you are referring to a Chevy small block with the distributor in the back, potentially against the firewall. Generally things have to move, which brings in the need for driveshaft alterations. .. a whole chain of events start there.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Super8mm
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
I know we all tend to be power hungry, but the Iron Duke I had was a decent engine. But like you are debating, the SR4 had to go and why not upgrade the engine too. So in went a Buick 231 V6 and a Ford T18 with the stock D300 transfer case. A great combination that allowed the transfer case to stay in the stock location. However, you mentioned a small block and that is a different beast all together. I assume you are referring to a Chevy small block with the distributor in the back, potentially against the firewall. Generally things have to move, which brings in the need for driveshaft alterations. .. a whole chain of events start there.
Thanks Hedgehog, I dont mind the slow Iron Duke but was wondering if using a engine and tranny that did not need adapters on that side would be better and just use the adapter on the tranny to transfer case? my preferred SB would be a FI 302 but that brings into play a lot more things.

most likely best option is something what would bolt up the the 4 cyl without mods. I wonder what eng to trans bolt pattern the AX15 uses?

I did just find the phone number for Novak so I can call them tomorrow

Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #10
Super8mm
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

A follow up, I called Novak and they told me that the SM420 I would have to move rear tranny/trans mount back as it is longer. I asked about the AX15 5 spd and they said it is way to long.

Best deal is the SM465 about the only thing needed fro the engine to tranny side is to get the hole in the bell housing machined out or get one of their bell housings but I would still have to adapt the tranny to the transfer case.